Please help me decide if my frame is too small!

Boatman

Guest
I ride a Raleigh C40 which I like. I am having a bit of a problem with
knee-cap pain which has been helped a lot by raising my seat. From reading,
I think I may have to raise it some more for the correct ergonomics, but I
am already at the maximum length for my seat post. I should mention that I
have already replaced the seat post that came with the bike with a longer
one. Now I may have to buy another.

I am beginning to wonder if my frame size is just too small. For this style
of bike (a hybrid) it seems to fit OK, but I really don't know. My LBS just
sold me what they had in stock and I didn't know any better (there're since
out of business). How do I determine if this frame is basically not for me,
or I can get things to work well by getting another seat post?

Here are the specs: I am 5' 11" (180.3 cm) and have a 33 5/8 inch (85.4 cm)
inseam. The bike is a 19" model ( I don't know what this measurement is -
nothing on the bike is exactly 19" (48.3 cm) long). The crank length is 175
mm. The distance from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the
seat (when compressed by me) is 31" (78.7 cm). Finally, the distance from
the seat rail down to the top of the seat tube is 10" (25.4 cm).

I would appreciate any help you could give me in deciding if I need to buy a
new bike!!

Boatman

"Boatman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I ride a Raleigh C40 which I like. I am having a bit of a problem with
> knee-cap pain which has been helped a lot by raising my seat. From

reading,
> I think I may have to raise it some more for the correct ergonomics,

but I
> am already at the maximum length for my seat post. I should mention

that I
> have already replaced the seat post that came with the bike with a

longer
> one. Now I may have to buy another.
>
> I am beginning to wonder if my frame size is just too small. For this

style
> of bike (a hybrid) it seems to fit OK, but I really don't know. My LBS

just
> sold me what they had in stock and I didn't know any better (there're

since
> out of business). How do I determine if this frame is basically not

for me,
> or I can get things to work well by getting another seat post?
>
> Here are the specs: I am 5' 11" (180.3 cm) and have a 33 5/8 inch

(85.4 cm)
> inseam. The bike is a 19" model ( I don't know what this measurement

is -
> nothing on the bike is exactly 19" (48.3 cm) long). The crank length

is 175
> mm. The distance from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of

the
> seat (when compressed by me) is 31" (78.7 cm). Finally, the distance

from
> the seat rail down to the top of the seat tube is 10" (25.4 cm).
>
> I would appreciate any help you could give me in deciding if I need to

buy a
> new bike!!

The C40 has a compact frame so 19" is probably an equivalent dimension.
With a 85.4cm inseam you would expect a typical distance from BB center
to seat top to be 75cm. At 78.7cm, I'm thinking you have the seat a
little higher than most. The horizontal dimensions of seat to handle bar
and seat to BB as well as the seat to handle bar height are also
important for comfort but these are more difficult to determine with
rider preferences being a big factor. These can be adjusted by sliding
the seat along the rails and swapping out or adjusting the stem. I don't
think you need to buy a new bike for the cost of a couple of components
or a few adjustments.

PH

Phil Holman wrote:
> "Boatman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> I ride a Raleigh C40 which I like. I am having a bit of a problem
>> with knee-cap pain which has been helped a lot by raising my seat.
>> From reading, I think I may have to raise it some more for the
>> correct ergonomics, but I am already at the maximum length for my
>> seat post. I should mention that I have already replaced the seat
>> post that came with the bike with a longer one. Now I may have to
>> buy another.
>>
>> I am beginning to wonder if my frame size is just too small. For
>> this style of bike (a hybrid) it seems to fit OK, but I really don't
>> know. My LBS just sold me what they had in stock and I didn't know
>> any better (there're since out of business). How do I determine if
>> this frame is basically not for me, or I can get things to work well
>> by getting another seat post?
>>
>> Here are the specs: I am 5' 11" (180.3 cm) and have a 33 5/8 inch
>> (85.4 cm) inseam. The bike is a 19" model ( I don't know what this
>> measurement is - nothing on the bike is exactly 19" (48.3 cm) long).
>> The crank length is 175 mm. The distance from the center of the
>> bottom bracket to the top of the seat (when compressed by me) is 31"
>> (78.7 cm). Finally, the distance from the seat rail down to the top
>> of the seat tube is 10" (25.4 cm).
>>
>> I would appreciate any help you could give me in deciding if I need
>> to buy a new bike!!

> The C40 has a compact frame so 19" is probably an equivalent
> dimension. With a 85.4cm inseam you would expect a typical distance
> from BB center to seat top to be 75cm. At 78.7cm, I'm thinking you
> have the seat a little higher than most. The horizontal dimensions of
> seat to handle bar and seat to BB as well as the seat to handle bar
> height are also important for comfort but these are more difficult to
> determine with rider preferences being a big factor. These can be
> adjusted by sliding the seat along the rails and swapping out or
> adjusting the stem. I don't think you need to buy a new bike for the
> cost of a couple of components or a few adjustments.
>
> PH

Thank you, Phil. I had not heard of the term "compact frame" before. Are
these made for a particular use, or do they have any disadvantages you are
aware of?

> Phil Holman wrote:
> > "Boatman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> I ride a Raleigh C40 which I like. I am having a bit of a problem
> >> with knee-cap pain which has been helped a lot by raising my seat.
> >> From reading, I think I may have to raise it some more for the
> >> correct ergonomics, but I am already at the maximum length for my
> >> seat post. I should mention that I have already replaced the seat
> >> post that came with the bike with a longer one. Now I may have to
> >> buy another.
> >>
> >> I am beginning to wonder if my frame size is just too small. For
> >> this style of bike (a hybrid) it seems to fit OK, but I really

don't
> >> know. My LBS just sold me what they had in stock and I didn't know
> >> any better (there're since out of business). How do I determine if
> >> this frame is basically not for me, or I can get things to work

well
> >> by getting another seat post?
> >>
> >> Here are the specs: I am 5' 11" (180.3 cm) and have a 33 5/8 inch
> >> (85.4 cm) inseam. The bike is a 19" model ( I don't know what this
> >> measurement is - nothing on the bike is exactly 19" (48.3 cm)

long).
> >> The crank length is 175 mm. The distance from the center of the
> >> bottom bracket to the top of the seat (when compressed by me) is

31"
> >> (78.7 cm). Finally, the distance from the seat rail down to the top
> >> of the seat tube is 10" (25.4 cm).
> >>
> >> I would appreciate any help you could give me in deciding if I need
> >> to buy a new bike!!

> > The C40 has a compact frame so 19" is probably an equivalent
> > dimension. With a 85.4cm inseam you would expect a typical distance
> > from BB center to seat top to be 75cm. At 78.7cm, I'm thinking you
> > have the seat a little higher than most. The horizontal dimensions

of
> > seat to handle bar and seat to BB as well as the seat to handle bar
> > height are also important for comfort but these are more difficult

> > determine with rider preferences being a big factor. These can be
> > adjusted by sliding the seat along the rails and swapping out or
> > adjusting the stem. I don't think you need to buy a new bike for the
> > cost of a couple of components or a few adjustments.
> >
> > PH

> Thank you, Phil. I had not heard of the term "compact frame" before.

Are
> these made for a particular use, or do they have any disadvantages you

are
> aware of?
>
> Boatman

Mostly a marketing thing where the term is used mostly for road frames
which look similar to MTB frames. Now you can fit a wide spectrum of
physiologies with just 3 frame sizes (s,m,l). I actually like the idea
because it reduces frame weight and results in a laterally stiffer
frame.
A longer seatpost or stem may result in the same amount of lateral
deflection at the seat and handlebars but doesn't IMO result in as much
frame twist with its reduced handling characteristics.
Some don't like the appearance with the longer aesthetically challenged
seatpost. Others my have some gripes about them if they are between
sizes but I like a smaller frame for the reasons mentioned plus I can
get lower on the front so I always pick one that is smaller rather than
larger.

PH

>>"Boatman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>>>I ride a Raleigh C40 which I like. I am having a bit of a problem
>>>with knee-cap pain which has been helped a lot by raising my seat.
>>>From reading, I think I may have to raise it some more for the
>>>correct ergonomics, but I am already at the maximum length for my
>>>seat post. I should mention that I have already replaced the seat
>>>post that came with the bike with a longer one. Now I may have to
>>>buy another.
>>>
>>>I am beginning to wonder if my frame size is just too small.

-snip- >>>I am 5' 11" -snip-

Boatman wrote:
> Thank you, Phil. I had not heard of the term "compact frame" before. Are
> these made for a particular use, or do they have any disadvantages you are
> aware of?

I'm your size and just rode around the block on a 19" C40 .
I'm with Phil - you should be well within reasonable
adjustment on this frame. The standard shock seatpost sinks
a bit under the rider's weight, so you do need to raise the
post a bit higher than first impressions would indicate.
The stock saddle is rather thick ( springs & gel). I
suppose if you changed that to something more conventional
it would exacerbate the seatpost issue.

"Compact frame" design in this sense means a sloping top
tube. No big deal
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

A Muzi wrote:
> >>"Boatman" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> -snip- >>>I am 5' 11" -snip-

>> Phil Holman wrote:
>>> The C40 has a compact frame so 19" is probably an equivalent
>>> dimension. With a 85.4cm inseam you would expect a typical distance
>>> from BB center to seat top to be 75cm. At 78.7cm, I'm thinking you
>>> have the seat a little higher than most. The horizontal dimensions
>>> of seat to handle bar and seat to BB as well as the seat to handle
>>> bar height are also important for comfort but these are more
>>> difficult to determine with rider preferences being a big factor.
>>> These can be adjusted by sliding the seat along the rails and
>>> swapping out or adjusting the stem. I don't think you need to buy a
>>> new bike for the cost of a couple of components or a few
>>> adjustments.

> Boatman wrote:
>> Thank you, Phil. I had not heard of the term "compact frame" before.
>> Are these made for a particular use, or do they have any
>> disadvantages you are aware of?

> I'm your size and just rode around the block on a 19" C40 .
> I'm with Phil - you should be well within reasonable
> adjustment on this frame. The standard shock seatpost sinks
> a bit under the rider's weight, so you do need to raise the
> post a bit higher than first impressions would indicate.
> The stock saddle is rather thick ( springs & gel). I
> suppose if you changed that to something more conventional
> it would exacerbate the seatpost issue.
>
> "Compact frame" design in this sense means a sloping top
> tube. No big deal

Thank you, Phil and Andrew, for your learned comments. I will make
adjustments to the seat height, etc., as needed.

Boatman