Please help me identify these Campy/Mavic Components!

Jim_Rogers

Jul 17, 2003
I got these items as part of a big trade with someone else, and I would like to know more about them before I decide what, if anything, I will do with them.

I have a set of Campy hubs, freehub, 8-speed cassette will fit (so I assume it's an 8 speed hub!). It appears to be 130 mm by my quick measuring. The rear hub has a grease port with a silver cover (that turns around the center to open/close). It has no markings other than Campagnolo Brev. Int. on the grease cover. The front hub has the Campy "winged" trademark symbol. The skewers are the "rough" type, knurled around the edges. With the skewers, the front weighs about 250g, the rear about 500g.

I also have a front derailleur. It is clamp-on and only has the winged symbol stamped in it.

Unlike today, these parts don't say "Record," "Chorus," et.c on them, so I don't know what era or level of quality they are.

Can anyone tell me the level (Record, Chorus, etc.) and approximate age of these items?

Also, I have two rims by Mavic. They are 32 hole tubulars and have the diamond-shaped Mavic logo and "G.E.L. 280" on one and "G.E.L. 330" on the other. There are no other markings (such as SUP, etc.) The weights are about 280 and 330 grams, which I assume correspond to the markings. They are dark gray in color.

Any one have any idea as to the age/level of quality of these rims? Unlike the hubs above, these rims appear to compare favorably to new ones in the area of weight. They are of different weight, I assume the heavier one is for use in the back, but I don't know if they are a matched set.

Do any of the new features of Mavic rims (SUP, ceramic, whatever) make these rims dated, or would they still make a good wheel?

Thanks for the help,

Jim Rogers

Jim,

I'm am far from being an expert, but I have a set of wheels on Gel 280 rims (36 hole) and, while the other wheel components contribute, I believe these are the nicest, lightest rims I have ever used.

Regards,

Richard Elliott

Originally posted by Jim_Rogers
I got these items as part of a big trade with someone else, and I would like to know more about them before I decide what, if anything, I will do with them.

I have a set of Campy hubs, freehub, 8-speed cassette will fit (so I assume it's an 8 speed hub!). It appears to be 130 mm by my quick measuring. The rear hub has a grease port with a silver cover (that turns around the center to open/close). It has no markings other than Campagnolo Brev. Int. on the grease cover. The front hub has the Campy "winged" trademark symbol. The skewers are the "rough" type, knurled around the edges. With the skewers, the front weighs about 250g, the rear about 500g.

I also have a front derailleur. It is clamp-on and only has the winged symbol stamped in it.

Unlike today, these parts don't say "Record," "Chorus," et.c on them, so I don't know what era or level of quality they are.

Can anyone tell me the level (Record, Chorus, etc.) and approximate age of these items?

Also, I have two rims by Mavic. They are 32 hole tubulars and have the diamond-shaped Mavic logo and "G.E.L. 280" on one and "G.E.L. 330" on the other. There are no other markings (such as SUP, etc.) The weights are about 280 and 330 grams, which I assume correspond to the markings. They are dark gray in color.

Any one have any idea as to the age/level of quality of these rims? Unlike the hubs above, these rims appear to compare favorably to new ones in the area of weight. They are of different weight, I assume the heavier one is for use in the back, but I don't know if they are a matched set.

Do any of the new features of Mavic rims (SUP, ceramic, whatever) make these rims dated, or would they still make a good wheel?

Thanks for the help,

Jim Rogers

Mavic's new rim technologies:
http://www.mavic.com/servlet/srt/mavic/road-prod_fiche?product.id=59&lg=uk#
You will need to click on the icons to see details of what Mavic says.
The rims are dated, but certainly they are quite high quality and preferred by some riders.