Please help me with a little cycling history

upstateSC-rider

Jul 27, 2004
Although I've been a mtn biker for awhile, I'm now crossing over to road riding (and liking it ;) ).
Now that I've read a couple of books on training and LA's books I have 3 questions:
1) What happened to the Tour Dupont?

2) What happened to Eddy Merckx during the tdf incident? From my understatnding he got punched in the stomach by a fan. :eek:

3) How did Greg LeMond's hunting accident happen?

Thanks.
Lou.

2. I believe he was riding up a mountain pass, and a drunk fan ran up and kidney punched him. While he wasn't badly injured, that incident most likely ended his chance of winning 6 TdFs (that year).

keydates said:
2. I believe he was riding up a mountain pass, and a drunk fan ran up and kidney punched him. While he wasn't badly injured, that incident most likely ended his chance of winning 6 TdFs (that year).
Ouch! And going for 6 to boot.

Anyone know about questions 1 and 3?

Lou.

keydates said:

I remember reading a comment by Eddy: I can understand why Lance tries to get along with the French fans. When they don't like you, they really don't like you.

upstateSC-rider said:
1) What happened to the Tour Dupont?

3) How did Greg LeMond's hunting accident happen?

1) Was the Tour de Trump, then became the Tour DuPont. Sponsorship disappeared, interest wained, no more race.

3) His brother-in-law shot him while hunting turkey, filled him full of shotgun shot. Never got all of it out of him because some was too close to spine. Eventually had to quit cycling from the injuries causing him to basically get lead poisoning or something like that.

At least that is what I think happened in both cases. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong no doubt .........