please help me with pedals

David German

Guest
Hi

I recently decided to get clipless pedals for my MTB, which I ride on
trails and also use for short daily commutes. I've browsed through
various forums, but I still cannot figure out where should I start from:
egg beaters, SPD/platform, SPD, plastic, stainless....

Please help me out.

Thanks,
David

In article <[email protected]>,
David German <[email protected]> wrote:
>I recently decided to get clipless pedals for my MTB, which I ride on
>trails and also use for short daily commutes. I've browsed through
>various forums, but I still cannot figure out where should I start from:
>egg beaters, SPD/platform, SPD, plastic, stainless....

The cheapest Shimano or Crank Brothers (about $50) are fine for most people.
Don't bother with the $200 pedals unless the cheap ones are not adjustable
enough for you.

David German wrote:
> Hi
>
> I recently decided to get clipless pedals for my MTB, which I ride on
> trails and also use for short daily commutes. I've browsed through
> various forums, but I still cannot figure out where should I start from:
> egg beaters, SPD/platform, SPD, plastic, stainless....
>
> Please help me out.
>
> Thanks,
> David

Based on my personal experience, I would suggest one of the less
expensive SPD type pedals because you can adjust the release tension,
which is very important for a beginner. My first set was a pair of
Rockwerkes that were clones of Shimano and they served me well until I
graduated to Time ATACs later. The Shimano 520 is rated as a good pedal
and you can find some good buys on them if you search the internet. The
other option is one of the Wellgo pedals that can be sold under that
name or several other brand names. I know Nashbar gets their pedals
from Wellgo. If I had a choice, I'd probably go with the Shimano
pedals.

Smokey

David German wrote:
> Hi
>
> I recently decided to get clipless pedals for my MTB, which I ride on
> trails and also use for short daily commutes. I've browsed through
> various forums, but I still cannot figure out where should I start from:
> egg beaters, SPD/platform, SPD, plastic, stainless....

I'll suggest the egg beaters. Nothing to adjust, very little to wear
out/break. Probably the easiest entry/exit out there.

--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology