Please help! Need a road bike 3 in mind.

misagro

May 9, 2010
Hello, I need to buy a road bike and I found 3 that look ok. I'm a 5ft 9 male and brand new to road bikes, I don't know a thing. In fact I went to get a used bike on craigslist from a guy called Bicycle Jim. With a name like that I thought I could trust him. Well, I ended up leaving with a women's 10 speed. Looking for $300 and under shipped. If you know any other bikes please let me know.

Buy Road Bikes Vilano TUONO 21SPD Shimano Road Bike Wholesale Prices Triathlon Tri Bikes, Fixies Fixed Gear Bikes

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Prelude-Mens-Road-Wheels/dp/B000KZ1GHQ/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1273435051&sr=1-25#moreAboutThisProduct]Amazon.com: Schwinn Prelude Men's Road Bike (700c Wheels): Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

NEW 2011 ALUMINUM ROAD RACING 14-SPEED BIKE SHIMANO - eBay (item 130389574938 end time May-17-10 15:35:37 PDT)

Thanks everyone!

Welcome aboard.

At 5-9 you're most likely looking for something in the ball park of 54 cm frame size, I'm the same height as you and that's what I'm riding. However, depending on your inseam, this could vary a cm or two in either direction. I'd suggest first going to a local bike shop and getting measured before buying online, it will be well worth it even if you have to pay them. A poorly-fitting bike can cause a variety of problems, which will make you not want to ride. I looked at the Shimano you linked to, at the smaller of the two sizes being 58 cm I think that one might be too big for you unless you have a very long inseam.

I was first looking at that Schwinn Prelude you're referring to, which was originally sold at Target stores, but ultimately went elsewhere because many of the department store bikes tend to only come in one frame size, which might not be the right size for you, so I don't recommend it unless you're sure about the frame size matching your measurements. In addition, there have been many horror stories about those bikes being assembled improperly and falling apart during a ride, so if you do go that route, I'd ask for one that's unassembled and still in the box, that way you can assemble it yourself and be sure it's done right.

The second Shimano you linked to on eBay might work for you, you're most likely looking at either a small or medium frame size. If you think you're between two sizes, you should probably opt for the smaller size, you can compensate with larger stems and seat posts if needed.

Again, welcome aboard, I hope this info helps you. Good luck with your search. :cool: