Please help - Stumpjumper frame price

Atlbiker32

Jan 19, 2010
I have the opportunity to purchase a 2005 Specialized Stumpjumper Pro XL frame with new Fox RP3 rear shock for $400. The frame is my size and is in very good condition (although it's listed as an M5 frame and my research shows the 2005 to be an M4 frame). I would take the upgraded parts from my 2003 Jamis Dakar Sport (FSA cranks, Hayes ElCamino hydraulic disc brakes front and rear, XTR M950 Front and Rear Derailleurs with SRAM attack shifters. SRAM 9speed cassette. SID race rear shock, Manitou Black front fork, non lockout) and move them to the Stumpjumer frame. Two questions - 1) Does $400 seem like a fair price for the frame or should I offer less and 2) what do you think I could get for the Jamis frame and SID race rear shock. Any thoughts, opinions, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Atlbiker32 said:
I have the opportunity to purchase a 2005 Specialized Stumpjumper Pro XL frame with new Fox RP3 rear shock for $400. The frame is my size and is in very good condition (although it's listed as an M5 frame and my research shows the 2005 to be an M4 frame). I would take the upgraded parts from my 2003 Jamis Dakar Sport (FSA cranks, Hayes ElCamino hydraulic disc brakes front and rear, XTR M950 Front and Rear Derailleurs with SRAM attack shifters. SRAM 9speed cassette. SID race rear shock, Manitou Black front fork, non lockout) and move them to the Stumpjumer frame. Two questions - 1) Does $400 seem like a fair price for the frame or should I offer less and 2) what do you think I could get for the Jamis frame and SID race rear shock. Any thoughts, opinions, etc. would be greatly appreciated!
You know, those FOX rear shocks are so good & would probably/possibly cost the greater portion of what the seller is asking (depending on where you buy it, of course) that it could be a great deal at the price the seller is asking ... you should ask if/when the bushings on the swing arm were replaced (or, about how many miles the frame was used AND/OR the type of terrain it was ridden on) AND about how many miles the shock was used ... is it ZERO MILES new, one ride NEW, ___?___?

If you were to pay $400 and you were to sell your frame + its SID shock for (only) $100, then that means you only paid $300 for the theoretical shock upgrade (if you were to simply by a FOX shock for your JAMIS frame) ... and, $300 would have been a pretty sweet price for a FOX shock a few years ago (what do they cost, now?) ... so, paying only $300 (or, less ... depending on how much you eventually sell your frame for) for a FOX shock upgrade would seem to be a pretty good deal (to me) ...

So, that's my way of saying that I would hope you could sell your current frame/shock for $100-or-more and that the FOX shock had zero-to-low mileage.

If a new FOX shock only costs $200-or-less, now, then you have to decide how much better (or, not) the SPECIALIZED linkage is than the JAMIS linkage (or, are they the same single pivot design?).

Makes sense, thanks for adding your comments.

Another question. I can purchase a 2005 Cannondale Scalpel frame in the same size with the same Fox RP3 rear shock for $325. Which, in your opinion, is the better frame/design - the Scalpel or the Stumpjumper?

Atlbiker32 said:
Makes sense, thanks for adding your comments.

Another question. I can purchase a 2005 Cannondale Scalpel frame in the same size with the same Fox RP3 rear shock for $325. Which, in your opinion, is the better frame/design - the Scalpel or the Stumpjumper?
Most people who own Cannondales love them ...

Personally (and, everyone can disagree), I would shy away from most Cannondales because their engineering & design philosophy seems to be to innovate to the point where you can't use off-the-shelf components as replacements ...

Now, there is nothing wrong with proprietary "stuff" if you are a sponsored rider OR you plan to buy a new frame every few years ... but, I would rather have the option of just updating the components on a frame with off-the-shelf components rather than having to scrounge around for THE compatible component ... certainly, parts are available in the first year or two of production, more than a few years down the road it could become a tedious 'adventure' finding replacements components OR a longer wait than you may want to spend when you have to have a shop order a component.

So, since I don't know the head tube size that the presumably LEFTY fork uses which I presume the Cannondale Scalpel uses, I presume that if a person wants to use a Scalpel frame with a regular fork that s/he needs to spend another $40 (approx.) for a PROBLEM SOLVERS "shim" set (they are called something other than "shims").

Consequently, FWIW, because I am philosphically opposed to proprietary (frame) components, I would choose the Specialized ...

Again, what you are saying makes a lot of sense. After getting some more information on both frames, it seem the Scalpel is a L and much more "beat up" than the Stumpjumper. One more question for you. Approximately how much would it cost to have someone (LBS) move all of the components from one frame to another - unfortunately I'm not very mechanically inclined? While not unhappy with my Jamis frame, if I can work a deal on the Stumpy, sell the Jamis, and have the components swapped over all for a reasonable price I think I might do it.

Atlbiker32 said:
Again, what you are saying makes a lot of sense. After getting some more information on both frames, it seem the Scalpel is a L and much more "beat up" than the Stumpjumper. One more question for you. Approximately how much would it cost to have someone (LBS) move all of the components from one frame to another - unfortunately I'm not very mechanically inclined? While not unhappy with my Jamis frame, if I can work a deal on the Stumpy, sell the Jamis, and have the components swapped over all for a reasonable price I think I might do it.
I would like to think that a shop could move all the components from one frame to the other in about an hour's time ... so, it's a matter of how much the shop charges as their per-hour fee ... but, who knows how long they would actually need?

Because the rear shock is already in place, the only component that requires any "skill" is removing-and-installing the headset.

For the rest, you really should consider it to be DIY affair; so, I'd like to think that if you brought the two frames in with most of the stuff removed that they could make the swap in a half-hour AND charge you accordingly (say, $20).

If you don't have the BB tool, you should buy it ... plus, the other tools (minimal) which you can get at Sears, Harbor Freight, Ace Hardware, etc.