Please help with hybrid purchasing decision....

wrangler

Mar 6, 2011
Hi,

I'm looking for advice on buying a hybrid bike. Years ago I owned a Trek 830 and loved it. However, those days are gone and being older and hopefully wiser I am looking to do more road /asphalt bike path/ rail trail riding. However, I would like to occasionally have the ability to go on dirt paths and grassy surfaces, nothing radical. Also, being in fairly good condition I will be logging many miles on this bike so 700cc wheels are a must. Also, I would like to keep the price around $600.

I have recently test rode a Trek 7.3 FX and did not like it. It felt too light and I want something a little beefier. Looked at a Gary Fisher Utopia but felt I was leaning to far forward, too much pressure on hands. Test rode a Specialized Crosstrail Sport and very much enjoyed the ride. However, there are a few more bikes which seem to be candidates. Here's my list:

Specialized Crosstrail Sport
Cannondale Quick CX4
Scott Sportster 40
Jamis Allegro 1X
Giant Roam 1

Any thoughts or comments on the above bikes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Seems that the Trek FX series is more road bike than hybrid. I ride a 10 y/o 7300 that was a "true hybrid". But I have skinnier tires, a flat bar, etc on it to make it more "road." Is a good cross-breed for me as it beefy enough to feel good on gravel pack and the like but also comfortable on very long rides. Have just outfitted it with a rear rack and fenders for commuting.

A riding buddy has an FX and is lighter than mine for sure. The Trek 7000 series is still around and may be an option.

I'm not familiar with the bike's you've listed.

Thank you for the info... since my posting I have purchased a Marin San Anselmo. It seems to fit my needs....thanks again