General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Please Help With Pecan Praline Recipe

Started by Lou Decruss · · Last activity · 5 posts · 254 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
19 November 2007
Last activity
26 November 2007
Original author
Lou Decruss
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
254
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. 40+ years ago my mom made them. I loved them, but she has no clue
    what she used for a recipe. I remember she used buttermilk, and light
    Karo was always around so I'm thinking this might be close. Anyone
    done something similar and care to comment? Or have a better recipe?
    Comments and flames are welcome!

    TIA.

    Lou

    Buttermilk Pralines
    CDKitchen http://www.cdkitchen.com

    Category: Pecan Cookies
    Serves/Makes: 4 dozen | Difficulty Level: 2 | Ready In: < 30
    minutes

    Ingredients:

    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 cup buttermilk
    2 cups sugar
    2 tablespoons light corn syrup
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 cup chopped pecans

    Directions:
    Combine buttermilk and baking soda in a large saucepan.

    Stir over medium heat until warm.

    Add sugar, corn syrup and butter stirring constantly.

    Heat until mixture is brown and creamy and forms a soft ball in water.

    Remove from heat and stir in vanilla until thick.

    Add nuts and quickly drop by tablespoon on waxed paper.

    Let cool completely.

    Recipe Location:
    http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/32/Buttermilk_Pralines43176.shtml
    Recipe ID: 5417
    Don't forget to stop back at CDKitchen and write a review or upload a
    picture of this recipe!

    This recipe is from CDKitchen http://www.cdkitchen.com
    © 1995-2007 CDKitchen, Inc.

  2. On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:54:54 -0600, Lou Decruss <[email hidden]>
    fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

    Quoted message said:


    40+ years ago my mom made them. I loved them, but she has no clue
    what she used for a recipe. I remember she used buttermilk, and light
    Karo was always around so I'm thinking this might be close. Anyone
    done something similar and care to comment? Or have a better recipe?
    Comments and flames are welcome!

    I found this basic recipe a while back, then dinked around until I was
    happy with it. The "dinking" took the form of a) toasting the pecans
    lightly, and b) I spoon the pralines onto an oiled cookie sheet, which
    works much better than waxed paper. I also occasionally add a
    tablespoon of rum or other liquer.

    1 tsp. soda
    1 c. buttermilk
    3 c. sugar
    1 c. butter
    Pinch of salt
    2 tbsp. white corn syrup
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 1/2 c. pecan halves

    Add soda to buttermilk. Mix sugar, buttermilk mixture, butter, salt
    and syrup. Cook until it forms a rather hard ball when dropped into
    water. Add vanilla and then pecans, and stir a short time. Cool
    rapidly. Spoon pralines on waxed paper. Makes 22-48 pralines.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    --
    "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as
    old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had been as full as the
    waitress's, it would have been a very good dinner."

    -- Duncan Hines

    To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

  3. Terry Pulliam Burd said:

    On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:54:54 -0600, Lou Decruss <[email hidden]>
    fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

    Quoted message said:


    40+ years ago my mom made them. I loved them, but she has no clue
    what she used for a recipe. I remember she used buttermilk, and light
    Karo was always around so I'm thinking this might be close. Anyone
    done something similar and care to comment? Or have a better recipe?
    Comments and flames are welcome!

    I found this basic recipe a while back, then dinked around until I was
    happy with it. The "dinking" took the form of a) toasting the pecans
    lightly, and b) I spoon the pralines onto an oiled cookie sheet, which
    works much better than waxed paper. I also occasionally add a
    tablespoon of rum or other liquer.

    1 tsp. soda
    1 c. buttermilk
    3 c. sugar
    1 c. butter
    Pinch of salt
    2 tbsp. white corn syrup
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 1/2 c. pecan halves

    Add soda to buttermilk. Mix sugar, buttermilk mixture, butter, salt
    and syrup. Cook until it forms a rather hard ball when dropped into
    water. Add vanilla and then pecans, and stir a short time. Cool
    rapidly. Spoon pralines on waxed paper. Makes 22-48 pralines.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

    Thank you very much. It's nice to have a tried and true recipe. I'll
    be making them this weekend.

    Lou

  4. On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 14:08:12 GMT, Lou Decruss <[email hidden]> fired
    up random neurons and synapses to opine:

    Quoted message said:

    Thank you very much. It's nice to have a tried and true recipe. I'll
    be making them this weekend.

    I'd love to know if you like the recipe as much as my family (and
    co-workers) do.

    I also have a recipe that is a little different and the DH prefers to
    the pralines, but is also praline-ish:

    @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

    Harris Ranch Pecan Drops

    cookies

    2 1/2 cups brown sugar
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 1/2 pounds coarsely chopped
    pecan pieces
    1/2 cup egg whites; 3 - 4 large eggs

    1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. In the bowl of an electric mixer,
    combine the brown sugar, salt, vanilla and pecan pieces. Beat on low
    speed to incorporate the ingredients, then drizzle in the egg whites.
    Increase the speed to medium-low and beat for 4 to 5 minutes, scraping
    down the sides of the bowl as needed.

    2. Drop the dough in rounded tablespoons onto a greased baking sheet.
    Press each ball of dough with the back of a spoon to form a cookie 3
    1/2 inches in diameter and about one-eighth-inch thick.

    3. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned. Remove
    from oven and immediately remove the cookies from the baking sheet to
    a cooling rack. The cookies will be soft but will firm up as they
    cool.

    Yield: 3 dozen cookies

    Preparation Time: 1 hour

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    --
    "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as
    old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had been as full as the
    waitress's, it would have been a very good dinner."

    -- Duncan Hines

    To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

  5. Terry Pulliam Burd said:

    On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 14:08:12 GMT, Lou Decruss <[email hidden]> fired
    up random neurons and synapses to opine:

    Quoted message said:

    Thank you very much. It's nice to have a tried and true recipe. I'll
    be making them this weekend.

    I'd love to know if you like the recipe as much as my family (and
    co-workers) do.

    I also have a recipe that is a little different and the DH prefers to
    the pralines, but is also praline-ish:

    Thanks so much for the new recipe. We had a late start over the
    weekend because our heat went out Thanksgiving morning. So I didn't
    get around to making them. But next weekend I will, and I'll report
    back.

    Thanks again,

    Lou

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.