Please help with road tire question

gigemaggs99

Jul 6, 2003
Hello,
My wife has a Trek 2200 WSD road bike. I bought her a computer and cannot calibrate the rim size to get a proper reading from the computer. When I look on the Bontrager rims they have strange numbers. Could someone help me figure this out?....
The rim says, 700C 622 x14, 650C 571 x14. I cannot figure out if this means it is 700c or 650c.
This really wasn't much of a problem until tonight she had a flat. Now we need to purchase a new tube and the tube that was in the tire is from Performance, it has writing on the tube that says 20-571 SuperThin. It doesn't say anything about 700c or 650c or the other numbers that are on the rim other than the 571.
The tire itself doesn't say anything except for inflate to 120psi.

I looked at my tires, I also have a Trek. My tires make sense they say 700c x23. When I look on Performance or any other site I can find tires and tubes that will fit these rims/tires. I tried putting one of my extra tubes on her rim and it is too big. Can someone tell me what this 700 or the 650 means? I thought it might have something to do with the diameter of the tire and it's measured in mm, is this correct? Any help would be great. I need to get new tubes for her bike so we can get back on the road.

gigemaggs99 said:
Hello,
My wife has a Trek 2200 WSD road bike. I bought her a computer and cannot calibrate the rim size to get a proper reading from the computer. When I look on the Bontrager rims they have strange numbers. Could someone help me figure this out?....
The rim says, 700C 622 x14, 650C 571 x14. I cannot figure out if this means it is 700c or 650c.
This really wasn't much of a problem until tonight she had a flat. Now we need to purchase a new tube and the tube that was in the tire is from Performance, it has writing on the tube that says 20-571 SuperThin. It doesn't say anything about 700c or 650c or the other numbers that are on the rim other than the 571.
The tire itself doesn't say anything except for inflate to 120psi.

I looked at my tires, I also have a Trek. My tires make sense they say 700c x23. When I look on Performance or any other site I can find tires and tubes that will fit these rims/tires. I tried putting one of my extra tubes on her rim and it is too big. Can someone tell me what this 700 or the 650 means? I thought it might have something to do with the diameter of the tire and it's measured in mm, is this correct? Any help would be great. I need to get new tubes for her bike so we can get back on the road.
The rim marking is nonsense. One says 700c tire with a 622 bead seat diameter and 14mm rim width and and the other says a 650 tire diameter 571 bead seat diameter and 14mm rim width.It can't be both. Simple solution,if you cannot tell by looking if hers is a smaller diameter rim/tire. Pull off your front wheel, and stick hers in. If your brake pads don't reach her wheels braking surface,hers is a 650.

boudreaux said:
The rim marking is nonsense. One says 700c tire with a 622 bead seat diameter and 14mm rim width and and the other says a 650 tire diameter 571 bead seat diameter and 14mm rim width.It can't be both. Simple solution,if you cannot tell by looking if hers is a smaller diameter rim/tire. Pull off your front wheel, and stick hers in. If your brake pads don't reach her wheels braking surface,hers is a 650.

Ok....her rim is smaller than mine so it's a 650. When buying tubes all I need to worry about is the 650 part? I don't need to worry about the other numbers, the ones that come after the "x"?

gigemaggs99 said:
Ok....her rim is smaller than mine so it's a 650. When buying tubes all I need to worry about is the 650 part? I don't need to worry about the other numbers, the ones that come after the "x"?
Tubes will be usually listed as 650 x 18-25 or 18-23 or 20-23, the numbers after the 650 being the range of nominal tire widths they fit. They could also be listed moe specifically as 650 x 20 or 23. Any will work,but I usually go with the types that work for a range.

boudreaux said:
Tubes will be usually listed as 650 x 18-25 or 18-23 or 20-23, the numbers after the 650 being the range of nominal tire widths they fit. They could also be listed moe specifically as 650 x 20 or 23. Any will work,but I usually go with the types that work for a range.

Thank you very much! My wife asked me how we were going to fix it, I told her I'd ask online...you guys/gays know a lot. Thanks for all the help! :D