Please, I need basic bike buying advice

"B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote:

Bud's is broadly good advice, but...

> "Bud" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I'm in the market for a bike. I'm a male in my early thirties, in pretty good shape, and I have
> > not owned a bike in the last 12 years or so, so I'm totally out of what good/hot and what's not.
> > My last bike was a 5-speed Schwinn. I'm probably looking for a basic but decent road bike built
> > by a reputable manufacturer. It will be used mostly for joy riding around town and on paved park
> > trails. I think I'd like a 5-speed again. Super-light bikes and other mega-performance
> > considerations are not that important, although I wouldn't mind a little sporty-ness to it.
>
> Define "sportyness." What does this mean to you?
>
> Do you want to sit upright, for a better view, or do you prefer a lower, faster riding stance?

> As for what kind of frame material: I would go with steel, because it's both cheaper and more
> comfortable than aluminum (in the price range that you're likely to be considering, that is).

I wouldn't bet on it. Cheap Al frames have come down in price so much that if anything, the least
expensive road bikes now are made of aluminum. As for the shibboleth that steel is "more
comfortable", well, don't make me sic Jobst Brandt on you, okay? Stop telling stories.

I say this as a guy who rides a brazed steel frame.

> If you choose a bike with fender and rack eyelets on the frame and fork, then you can easily bolt
> on a cargo rack and use your new bike to get groceries or haul books from the library, or take
> your kid for a ride. Most road bikes and many mountain bikes do not have rack and fender eyelets.

It can be done without built-in eyelets, though what you're sorta recommending is a cross bike,
which isn't a bad choice, at that.

> > What should I consider? Which manufacturers are big now? What do you recommend?

> Choose a bike from area bike shops. Whatever brands they carry, that's what you should choose.
> Don't buy a bike from an online retailer or Ebay - getting the correct fit, and having a shop
> stand behind your purchase is very important for your overall enjoyment of the sport.

Barry is right. The bad news is not all local bike shops (LBSes) are created equal. You may have to
do some searching to find a really good one, though almost any bike shop should be able to manage to
fit you to a bicycle reasonably well and sell you a non-junk bike. That's supposed to be their core
competence.

If you're confident you can determine fit issues, I'd recommend going used for a considerable
price break.

New-wise, you can either get a road bike or a fast "comfort" or "trekking" bike. Either of the
latter is basically a road bike with a flat bar and probably cantilever brakes and treaded tires.
The treaded tires are largely useless for what you want to do, but whatever. The choice between the
two bikes comes down to which position you like better. You'll be fractionally faster on a drop bar,
and some find them more comfortable (they can be very comfortable indeed if you have the bars set
much higher than most racer-geeks; this is a matter of taste). But a lot of people like the upright
position a drop bar puts you into, which means you can see a bit better.

Either of these bikes will probably have at least 8 rear cogs, possibly 9 or 10, or 7 if you buy the
cheapest bike in the shop.

"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > Is it Ok to cut out part of the middle of the measuring tape and joining
> it
> > back with rubber in such a way that it always measures 52 cm?
>
> You just can't hide the poor looks of a large frame, it's all in the top tube- down tube - head
> tube junction area. It just look's dorky having all that dead space made up by the head tube, and
> a large frame causes the head tube angle to go to 73 or 74 degrees from the better looking 72
> degrees.

I think as long as you can make your competitors believe you have a superior bike by sticking all
sorts of decals etc on it, you'll be OK with anything.

> Take a couple of my peers for example, Axel Merckx and George Hincapie. These two insist on riding
> those silly large frames every year.

Well did you give them any decals to cover up with? No I didn't think so.

> Axel dropped out of this year's Paris-Nice on stage 6 while being buried way back in 25th place,
> even someone like Alexandre Botcharov of team Ag2R Prevoyance was ahead of him in the standings.
> I'll tell you with the training I've done this winter 25 back at that race wouldn't be making me
> very happy, and the day Botcharov beats me in a 2.HC race will be the day I retire. Axel isn't
> even riding in this weekend's Milan-San Remo.

Neither would I without any decals.

> George is out of action because of a viral infection! George hasn't really done anything worth
> talking about since he won the San Francisco Grand Prix way back in '01.

You can probably get rid of a viral infection with enough sharp looking decals too.

--
Perre

Replace the DOTs to reply

"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > GORA EUSKADI!
> > Kinda hoped that Zubeldia would take the white jersey, but ah well.
> >

> Well I'm more that just a little bit bitter over the fact that Julian Gorospe signed Dioni
> Galparsoro instead of me, and what are Julian and Ruben Gorospe thinking when they keep someone
> like Egoi Martinez de Esteban on the payroll when he only has a lousy 12 UCI points?

Euskaltel/Euskadi...and they're all Euskeraz. Sorry, Fabs--you just don't qualify.

Maybe I could make a claim; after all, my great-grandfather was Basque..

-Luigi

> Anyway, I would have had second thoughts about signing a one or two year pro contract with a team
> that has that much orange in their team kit.

"Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Euskaltel/Euskadi...and they're all Euskeraz. Sorry, Fabs--you just don't qualify.
>
> Maybe I could make a claim; after all, my great-grandfather was Basque..

Yes, I realize it's pretty much a closed shop, but what's the story on Unai Etxebarria, he doen't
come across as too Basque.

Anyway, what bugs me about the whole deal is the way Julian Gorospe was talking about me after my
awsome showing at last year's Bizicleta Vasca and Tour of Valencia, and then the whole thing fell
through. I believe the final word came down from above Julian's level, probably from Miquel
Madariaga himself.

Madariaga has been bitter with me ever since I refused to work in the break with Joseba Zubeldia at
the Vuelta a Cartagena.