Please ignore this post

So when your having a conversation with someone DRS you
repeat the question before you give your answer ?

No part of the English language is based on a reply by
stating the question first. If you do it's called "Answering
a question with a question".

Anyway, I find it interesting that some people think that
top posting is illogical and poor net etiquette.

--
Tony

[email protected]

Remove the fish to reply --= This is a fish anti-spam
device =--

`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º> "DRS" <[email protected]>
> "John L" <[email protected]> wrote
> in message news:[email protected]
> > That's much better, you're almost making sense. Keep the
> > medication up, you may get better really soon :)
>
> Now you're insulting all the readership who are in fact on
> medications.
>
> > Don't give up on the crusade, you may convert one
> > person, one day.
>
> All rational people agree that the answer always comes
> after the question. Fools like you can never be persuaded
> because you are immune to reason.
>
> --
>
> A: Top-posters.
> Q: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

TOP POSTING RULES

WooooooWhoooooooooo

"><((((º>" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> So when your having a conversation with someone DRS you
> repeat the
question
> before you give your answer ?
>
> No part of the English language is based on a reply by
> stating the
question
> first. If you do it's called "Answering a question with a
> question".
>
> Anyway, I find it interesting that some people think that
> top posting is illogical and poor net etiquette.
>
> --
> Tony
>
> [email protected]
>
> Remove the fish to reply --= This is a fish anti-spam
> device =--
>
> `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º> "DRS" <[email protected]>
> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > "John L" <[email protected]>
> > wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> > > That's much better, you're almost making sense. Keep
> > > the medication up, you may get better really soon :)
> >
> > Now you're insulting all the readership who are in fact
> > on medications.
> >
> > > Don't give up on the crusade, you may convert one
> > > person, one day.
> >
> > All rational people agree that the answer always comes
> > after the
question.
> > Fools like you can never be persuaded because you are
> > immune to reason.
> >
> > --
> >
> > A: Top-posters.
> > Q: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:31:38 +1000, "><\(\(\(\(º>"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>So when your having a conversation with someone DRS you
>repeat the question before you give your answer ?

There's a difference between a spoken conversation and a
written conversation. And there's a difference between a one-on-
one email conversation as opposed to a group discussion as
is Usenet.

When one wades through multiple posts from multiple people,
one needs a little reminder about what the heck we were all
talking about in the first place.

>No part of the English language is based on a reply by
>stating the question first. If you do it's called
>"Answering a question with a question".

Actually, it's an accepted practice in debating circles -
repeating the question keeps the focus on what is being
discussed.

---
Cheers

PeterC

[Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no
stopping]
[and there's nothing you can do about it at all]

"><((((º>" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> So when your having a conversation with someone DRS you
> repeat the question before you give your answer ?

We are not having a verbal conversation. We are on Usenet, a
different medium with different requirements.

[...]

> Anyway, I find it interesting that some people think that
> top posting is illogical and poor net etiquette.

It is indisputably illogical to put the answer before the
question and is poor Usenet etiquette, as you should know by
having followed the links I gave and their links in turn.

Bottom vs. top posting and quotation style on Usenet
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html

Why is Bottom-posting better than Top-posting
http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_stv0.htm

http://www.fscked.co.uk/writing/top-posting-cuss.html

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

"Peter Cremasco" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:31:38 +1000, "><\(\(\(\(º>"
> <[email protected]> wrote:

[...]

>> No part of the English language is based on a reply by
>> stating the question first. If you do it's called
>> "Answering a question with a question".
>
> Actually, it's an accepted practice in debating circles -
> repeating the question keeps the focus on what is being
> discussed.

It also shows you've understood the question properly, if
not then the other person can correct you.

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?