Please look at my peaking plan for Fitchburg

cshong88

Nov 6, 2005
Hi, I was wondering whether some of you would be able to give me your opinions on my training schedule that I've outlined for the next 2 months? This is all to prepare for the Cat 3 Fitchburg Stage Race beginning June 28-July 1. I am a climber hoping to do well on GC.

Background info: Just finished my collegiate season 2 weekends ago (racing every weekend since March), did a race this past weekend and plan on racing every weekend for the rest of this month, May. Will be in Colorado (with time to train) from May 27th-June 23rd. Will be back basically a couple days before Fitchburg.

Current ATL (as of sunday, 5/6): 145.1 TSS/day
Current CTL: 107.9 TSS/day
TSB for tomorrow, monday 5/7: -37.2

All training weeks will be:
Monday - recovery ride
Tues, Wed, Thurs - block training, workouts depending on week
fri - recovery ride
sat, sun - races or long rides with intervals (workouts to maintain some anaerobic tolerance, fitness)

Plan to peak for Fitchburg after having peaked for end of collegiate season:

May 7-13: Base training - Tues,Wed,Thurs - 12-15 hrs of riding with 1-2 hr tempo intervals in rides...sat - race, sun - long ride

May 14-20: Tues, Wed - low FTP (91-100%) intervals
thurs, fri - easy/openers
sat - race
sun - long ride with low ftp intervals

May 21-27: Tues, Wed - low FTP intervals again but more intervals/higher intensity
thurs, fri - easy/openers
sat - race
sun - travel

May 28-June 3: Rest week - unstructured/easy riding, getting acclimated to Colorado.

June 4-10: tues,wed,thurs block training: FTP work/VO2 Max work
fri-easy
sat-race if I can
sun - long ride with intervals

June 11-17: tues,wed,thurs block training: VO2/Anaerobic work
fri-easy
sat/sun - long rides working zones 4 on up

June 18-24: Rest week: unstructured, easy riding
June 25-27th: mon, tues, wed - long ride with intervals, easy, openers
Thurs - FITCHBURG START

How does this general plan sound? I'm wondering whether this is the right way to rebuild. Am I taking too long to get back to structured VO2 Max/Anaerobic workouts? I am relying on racing each weekend to help me maintain some anaerobic fitness.

Thanks.

Lots of views, but no replies. Can anyone suggest something, please? Thanks.

Weeks of May 14th and May 21st: Do more speedwork. More speedwork in Z5 and Z6. FTP will come up (or maintain) from the racing and Z5 work.

Your recovery and taper looks good, remember to open in some condition in which you expect to perform (climbs). Also open in conditions where you will be under pressure to maintain GC (crit sprints, flats).

IMHO. You asked for it ;)