Please make me feel good about the lottery



M

MJuric

Guest
I'm sure sure this has been beat to death here, but.... What's the origins, purpose and
justification of the lottery of IMH?

~Matt
 
R

rodr

Guest
My understanding is when IronMan NA bought the rights from whomever started the whole gig, can't
think of his name right now, one of the stipulations was that they give away some percentage to
non-elite athletes to keep it an everymans sport. While I think it is a grand idea, and probably the
only way I will ever get to Hawaii in the next 5 years, I don't agree with it today. there are now
lots of venues to cut your IronMan teeth and Hawaii probably isn't the right place for it. Who knew
when they bought the rights there would be 20+ events to choose from..

Now on the other hand running along the lake in Canada and having Lori Bowden smile at you is a
feeling you'll never forget, and were that to happen in Hawaii I can only imagine what a day that
would be.....

TriRod IMC 02 IMUSA CdA 03

MJuric wrote:

>I'm sure sure this has been beat to death here, but.... What's the origins, purpose and
>justification of the lottery of IMH?
>
>~Matt
 
M

MJuric

Guest
On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 21:45:39 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>My understanding is when IronMan NA bought the rights from whomever started the whole gig, can't
>think of his name right now, one of the stipulations was that they give away some percentage to
>non-elite athletes to keep it an everymans sport. While I think it is a grand idea, and probably
>the only way I will ever get to Hawaii in the next 5 years, I don't agree with it today. there are
>now lots of venues to cut your IronMan teeth and Hawaii probably isn't the right place for it. Who
>knew when they bought the rights there would be 20+ events to choose from..

From the standpoint of "keeping it for the mortal man" I can see it. However at some point
this has to turn into "Keeping it for the lazy guy". It seems to me that if a lottery exist
for those that TRUELY physically can't make it to Kona, then there should be some way of
proving your inability. In my eyes spending several years training, racing, trying to
qualify and not making it is entirely different from. Signing up for the lottery, winning
and training enough to make sure you qualify for the lottery.

~Matt

>
>Now on the other hand running along the lake in Canada and having Lori Bowden smile at you is a
>feeling you'll never forget, and were that to happen in Hawaii I can only imagine what a day that
>would be.....
>
>
>TriRod IMC 02 IMUSA CdA 03
>
>MJuric wrote:
>
>>I'm sure sure this has been beat to death here, but.... What's the origins, purpose and
>>justification of the lottery of IMH?
>>
>>~Matt
>>
>