Please Rate My Graphics Project (Track Frame)

Twilly

Jul 20, 2006
I have recently completed a graphics project and need to test the aesthetic appeal of the project to the general public. For the project I designed a track bike frame and ended up making four of my designs. The designs are merely sanded down MDF which have then been spray painted.

Please comment on them, tell me what you like, dislike, which one you prefer, which aspects of that bike make you prefer it etc etc.
(Please note, there are some blemishes on the frame as is expected when the entire bike is merely sanded down MDF. the bikes are not perfect, but hopefully you will see what I am trying to get towards)
Cheers

Oh BTW, I only want comments on the bikes aesthetics. So basically tell me if you like the look of it if it were made from carbon fibre with an awesome paint job.

I like the third one aesthetically, but I don't think it would handle well with the rider over the rear axle like that.

I think I like it because the top tube is straighter, and looks sleek and functional.

My second favorite is the first one. I think because the handling of the seat tube is distinct enough to stand out. Again, I would have my doubts from a structural perspective.

It is hard to look at just aesthetics when you see potential issues with the feasibility. :)

I like the last best. My eye sees the spaces defined by the frame elements more than the elements themselves. The last one is pleasing in this sense. The frame is also more regular in the thicknesses of the various sections and I like the concave curve of the seat stays. The two red ones don't work for me especially the second, the space shapes and the element shapes are unpleasant especially the heavy convex seat stays.

sorry mate, none of them do it for me.

i think if you refined the 4th one, you'd be on the way to something. perhaps drop the butt of the seat stays a little so that it removes the gap to the wheel cutout in the seat stay. flatten out the huge curve in the top tube and go with a semi integrated seat post design, i think then you'd basically have something of a hybrid between a teschner and a bt which are about two of the best (imo) designs out there today.

--brett

For the third one, the seat post doesn't actually angle backwards, it just looks like it does because of the angle of the photo. Infact the geometry for all the frames is the same its just that the seat post of the third one doesn't have any angle.

I think that the frames are pretty interesting and quite varied. This idea of having a curved top tube is maybe one you could take further. Is there any aerodynamic or mechanical advantage? For myself, the iregular thicknesses of all the different components makes the frames unattractive aesthetically. I think the last one has the most potential.