please read : Integrated headset

Amit <[email protected]> wrote:
>[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>>Lever mounted shifting, click shifting, good working road triples, clipless pedals, not much else
>>I have seen that makes riding more enjoyable,

Peter, I think it's worth adding the enormous improvement in lights to this list. I am relatively
young, but I still remember pale fragile battery lights, constant blown bulbs, dynamos that
practically obviated the need for brakes on the wheels in question...

>Why don't you just say you're in love with the bikes from when you got into cycling (lugs, chrome
>and Campy) and you're prejudiced against any development since ?

That's a preposterous allegation to make in response to a post in which someone lists the new stuff
they like...

> >Why don't you just say you're in love with the bikes from when you got into cycling (lugs, chrome
> >and Campy) and you're prejudiced against any development since ?
>
> That's a preposterous allegation to make in response to a post in which someone lists the new
> stuff they like...

Kind of surprised me too! Both Peter talking about new stuff he thought were significant
improvements, and then a reply telling him he's prejudiced against new ideas. Geez, won't take too
much of that before Peter searches around for his old 1014 downtube friction shifters and finds a
way to attach them to his current bike (that probably has shift bosses mounted a bit too high for
optimal downtube shifter use, but perfect for STI/Ergopower cable stops).

"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:WoB*[email protected]...

> Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
> >damerell-<< Peter, I think it's worth adding the enormous
improvement in
> >lights to this list. Agree completely altho I'd like to see a capaciter(sp?)
light, that is self
> >generating, w/o tire drag or wear...hub mounted?

> I'm not sure what you want that a hub dynamo with a
low-mounted headlight
> doesn't get you.

Lumotec has generator lights with an auxiliary light powered by a capacitor, for safety when stopped
at intersections. It's dimmer than the main bulb, but does a lot to make you more visible.

> [This isn't snide; I'm genuinely unclear on exactly what
you are
> describing.]

Capacitors can function like batteries. However, they're better for short bursts of relatively high
power, rather than a steady draw like a headlight. The ones in the Lumotec are fairly small, and
only power a small LED. "Supercapacitors" are being developed for hybrid automobile drivetrains,
etc. They're already being used in industrial equipment.

More promising for bike lights are the small fuel cells being made for laptops and other portable
electronics. Imagine having 8-10 hours of power, then being able to recharge by simply filling up
with some methanol. They should be available within a year.

Matt O.