Please recommend a bike cover

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Michael Green, Feb 14, 2004.

  1. I park my bike outside at work. Having to improvise a cover from plastic bags is not working out.
    Please recommend a cover I can buy. Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Michael Green wrote:
    > I park my bike outside at work. Having to improvise a cover from plastic bags is not working out.
    > Please recommend a cover I can buy. Thanks.

    Halfords sell them. They fold down very small into a little bag.

    Simon

  3. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Michael Green wrote:
    > I park my bike outside at work. Having to improvise a cover from plastic bags is not working out.
    > Please recommend a cover I can buy.

    I got mine for a fiver from Argos a few years ago. I'm not sure if the one they're selling now is
    exactly the same, but I think it probably is: http://tinyurl.com/35rbu

    (It covers a SWB recumbent just as well as it covers an upright bike, it just has to go on
    backwards).

    It's not something you'd want to carry around with you. Have you got somewhere at work where you can
    keep the cover overnight, bearing in mind that you will sometimes be putting it away wet?

    http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/

  4. Johnb

    Johnb Guest

    Michael Green wrote:

    > I park my bike outside at work. Having to improvise a cover from plastic bags is not working out.
    > Please recommend a cover I can buy. Thanks.

    Argos sell a very good one. It covers my trice nicely and would be ideal for a bike.

    John B

  5. [email protected] (Michael Green) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I park my bike outside at work. Having to improvise a cover from plastic bags is not working out.
    > Please recommend a cover I can buy. Thanks.

    Thank you very much for the replies. Argos is five minutes from my office but I would never have
    thought of it!

    Best wishes, Michael.

  6. "Michael Green" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I park my bike outside at work. Having to improvise a cover from plastic bags is not working out.
    > Please recommend a cover I can buy. Thanks.

    Covering a wet piece of machinery is sometimes not a good idea - car covers were always thought to
    do more damage than leaving the car in the open. My bike is parked under a roof but open to the
    elements. Why do you want to cover it?

  7. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Geoff Pearson wrote:
    > Covering a wet piece of machinery is sometimes not a good idea - car covers were always thought to
    > do more damage than leaving the car in the open. My bike is parked under a roof but open to the
    > elements.

    Covering a dry piece of machinery that is likely to get wet if not covered is, OTOH, rather a
    good idea.

    Buying a bike cover actually reduced the frequency with which I needed to to lube my chain by about
    80%. It's also saved me from having to ride home with a wet seat on numerous occasions. But the time
    I've been most glad of it was when I found a guano sample on the cover that would otherwise have
    been right in the middle of my seat.

    http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/

  8. John Barry

    John Barry Guest

    In my experience, the ones from Argos tend to tear easily. Edinburgh Bicycle (and probably others)
    sell VK Bike Pyjamas which are made of a tough woven (breathable?) material. They come complete with
    brass eyelets and a tie-cord. No, I'm not on commission, just a satisfied user. BTW, they're equally
    effective at keeping your bike dust-free if, like mine, your garage isn't a haven of cleanliness.

    news:[email protected]...