please recommend a good multi-vitamin

Robfilms

Guest
i need a good multi-vitamin

i was hoping for a vitamin that i only need to take once a day.

(perferably only taking one not 2-4 pills)

looking for decent performance along w/good value ($)

no sugar would be great

organics? (anyone w/an opinion?)

kirkland brand from costco?

1-a-day?

gnc?

any and all thoughts would be appreciated

thanks in advance

be well

rob

"RobFilms" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> i need a good multi-vitamin

I suggest some good food. The stuff has vitamins in it and has keep people alive and healthy for
thousands of years. No known pill has helped more people stay at their best than good old food.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

On 25 Oct 2003 02:27:54 GMT, [email protected] (TheRacker) wrote:

>Wal-mart, a one year supply for under $5

Those are **** vitamins that don't even dissolve. Check your stool (mpg requested) you'll find them
whole and barely dissolved at all. Get a brand with a proven, and listed absorption/dissolution
rate. Natures choice is one good brand, and Stop & Shop carrys their own brand that has listed
rates. If it ain't listed, don't buy 'em.

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 10:20:09 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"RobFilms" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> i need a good multi-vitamin
>>

> I suggest some good food. The stuff has vitamins in it and has keep people alive and healthy
> for thousands of years. No known pill has helped more people stay at their best than good old
> food.

Of course if you are like me and will balloon up to about 400lbs by eating more than 2 meals a day,
then stick with two meals and a multi-vitamin instead of overeating. TBR

Joseph Meehan wrote:

> I suggest some good food. The stuff has vitamins in it and has keep people alive and healthy
> for thousands of years. No known pill has helped more people stay at their best than good old
> food.

I'll gently disagree. As much as I'd like to think I eat balanced my life style of being retired <G>
keeps me so busy I'm often remiss in proper food. Not junk food but not always balanced. Anyway, I
take a multi just to cover myself. No one will OD on a multi vitamin and at worse be excreted. IMO,
when in doubt take one. I also do some extra E and C but that my take on vitamins (antioxidants etc)

"Zipper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 10:20:09 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"RobFilms" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> i need a good multi-vitamin
> >>

> > I suggest some good food. The stuff has vitamins in it and has keep people alive and healthy
> > for thousands of years. No known pill has
helped
> >more people stay at their best than good old food.
>
> Of course if you are like me and will balloon up to about 400lbs by eating more than 2 meals a
> day, then stick with two meals and a multi-vitamin instead of overeating. TBR

You don't balloon up by eating the right things, you balloon up by eating too much.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 12:56:36 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" <[email protected]> wrote:

> You don't balloon up by eating the right things, you balloon up by eating too much.

Or by eating too much of the right things.

On 24 Oct 2003 22:53:56 GMT, [email protected] (RobFilms) wrote:

>i need a good multi-vitamin
>
>i was hoping for a vitamin that i only need to take once a day.
>
>(perferably only taking one not 2-4 pills)
>
>looking for decent performance along w/good value ($)
>
>no sugar would be great
>
>organics? (anyone w/an opinion?)
>
>kirkland brand from costco?
>
>1-a-day?
>
>gnc?
>
>any and all thoughts would be appreciated
>
>thanks in advance
>
>be well
>
>rob

90% of vitamins are made by a small handful of manufacterers. So, essentially, Vitamin World,
Target, CVS, One-A-Day etc.... are probably the exact same thing in different packaging. Generally,
just look for a good price. (The only guideline might be a little dated now, however - look for
biotin - since it's one of the more expensive ingredients, people looking to make a cut rate multi
cut it out. But that was told to me about 6 years ago, it may be different).

No known pill has helped more people stay at their best than good old food.
--
Joseph E. Meehan
__

"Based on the results of a study of 634 nutritional supplements, the Medical Commission of the
International Olympic Committee (IOC) today reissued its warning to athletes against their use ..."
-from IOC site

Hey Joseph...can we revise your statement to say, "Other than 634 known pills, no other known pill
has helped more people stay at their best than good old food".

We'll call it "the new math"...hee hee.

Andrew....

"Globaldisc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> No known pill has helped more people stay at their best than good old food.
> --
> Joseph E. Meehan
> __
>
> "Based on the results of a study of 634 nutritional supplements, the
Medical
> Commission of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) today reissued its warning to athletes
> against their use ..." -from IOC site
>
> Hey Joseph...can we revise your statement to say, "Other than 634 known
pills,
> no other known pill has helped more people stay at their best than good
old
> food".
>
> We'll call it "the new math"...hee hee.
>
> Andrew....

I don't know. I doubt if you took away the food, that all those pills would help at all. ;-)

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Yea. The problem is the "too much" not the what. ;-)

Of course the more you run the more you can eat and not gain.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Zipper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 12:56:36 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > You don't balloon up by eating the right things, you balloon up by eating too much.
>
> Or by eating too much of the right things.

Coco puffs have vitamins in them, AND they taste like chocolate. Have you ever tasted a vitamin?

Joseph Meehan wrote:
>> I suggest some good food. The stuff has vitamins in it and has keep people alive and healthy
>> for thousands of years. No known
pill
>> has helped more people stay at their best than good old food.
>>
>> --
>> Joseph E. Meehan

Joe, Not quite right - Two studies were released in the last month (I forgot to save the reference
or I would give the cite) showing that taking a multi is good for you. The first showed that the
Federal Govt. would save over a billion dollars per year in Medicare costs if everyone would just
take one good multi per day. The second study (which was not referrenced in the first or the dollar
amount would have been higher) showed that taking the multi every day reduced the incidence of
colorectal cancer. Might reduce other cancers as well, but they were not specifically identified
inthe study. While I sould agree that eating right is a good thing, the research on what constitutes
"eating right" is constntly changing. How can you be sure that you really are eating right. A one a
day is cheap insurance to help with possible deficiencies.

Bruce

On 25 Oct 2003 14:17:52 GMT, [email protected] (Globaldisc) wrote:

>No known pill has helped more people stay at their best than good old food.

No known pill has ever made people have clogged arteries, polyps, kidney stones, etc etc etc like
good old overeating.

"Bruce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:C1Amb.42320$hp5.21801@fed1read04...
> Joseph Meehan wrote:
> >> I suggest some good food. The stuff has vitamins in it and has keep people alive and
> >> healthy for thousands of years. No known
> pill
> >> has helped more people stay at their best than good old food.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Joseph E. Meehan
> >>
> Joe, Not quite right - Two studies were released in the last month (I forgot to save the reference
> or I would give the cite) showing that taking a multi is good for you. The first showed that the
> Federal Govt. would save over a billion dollars per year in Medicare costs if everyone would just
> take one good multi per day.

I did not see it, but my guess is what it really said was that people don't eat right and for
those that don't taking multi vitamins would help. The studies I have seen, long time ago, I
have not seen anything recent, indicated that proper diet beats out vitamins. A proper diet had
advantages that you can't duplicate with vitamins. For example roughage, low fat, minerals (yea
you can get those in a pill as well) good mix of amino acids etc.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Bruce wrote:
> Joseph Meehan wrote:
>
>>> I suggest some good food. The stuff has vitamins in it and has keep people alive and healthy
>>> for thousands of years. No known
>
> pill
>
>>>has helped more people stay at their best than good old food.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Joseph E. Meehan
>>>

> Joe, Not quite right - Two studies were released in the last month (I forgot to save the reference
> or I would give the cite) showing that taking a multi is good for you. The first showed that the
> Federal Govt. would save over a billion dollars per year in Medicare costs if everyone would just
> take one good multi per day.

These look like what you might be referring to http://www.lewin.com/NR/rdonlyres/eb32hp67emz7hp3olt-
2ibytiju43odtry4ykohuepa654fz45q2g6lpgjbaymz7iay2dgsgdjsru3n/factsheetformultivitaminFINAL.pdf
http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20031002-014807-9195r.htm
http://www.alliance-natural-health.org/index.cfm?action=news&ID=34

The second study
> (which was not referrenced in the first or the dollar amount would have been higher) showed that
> taking the multi every day reduced the incidence of colorectal cancer.

http://www.reutershealth.com/archive/2003/10/07/eline/links/20031007elin009.html http://story.news.-
yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=594&ncid=594&e=8&u=/nm/20031010/hl_nm/vitamins_bladder_dc

While I sould
> agree that eating right is a good thing, the research on what constitutes "eating right" is
> constntly changing. How can you be sure that you really are eating right. A one a day is cheap
> insurance to help with possible deficiencies.

Amen! A year's supply of multivitamin probably costs less than 1 week of fresh food where I live. I
figure if I eat real food when I can and supplement with a standard multivitamin, I have a better
chance of covering the bases for whatever they're most likely to recommend as "eating right".

I'm guessing that the people in the study may not have been able to afford sufficient food of the
right kinds to provide the nutrients - keeping in mind they are sr citizens that may be on limited
income - or were using an old version of the food pyramid.

Dot

An argument could be made that it has. I am sure some people have not bothered to keep a good diet
because they believe the pills will take care of everything.

I would also tend to agree that more people have benefited from them that have been hurt.
Such is life. However I will stand by my statement. I believe the most healthy method is a
proper diet.

As for those who suggest keeping a good diet is hard, I would suggest it is not all that hard,
from the standpoint of knowing how to, but like dieting, it is not always easy to do, just like
it is not always easy and do that five mile run in the morning before work.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Dot wrote:
>> Bruce wrote:

>> While I would
>>> agree that eating right is a good thing, the research on what constitutes "eating right" is
>>> constntly changing. How can you be sure that you really are eating right. A one a day is cheap
>>> insurance to help with possible deficiencies.
>>
>> Amen! A year's supply of multivitamin probably costs less than 1 week of fresh food where I live.
>> I figure if I eat real food when I can and supplement with a standard multivitamin, I have a
>> better chance of covering the bases for whatever they're most likely to recommend as "eating
>> right".
>>
>> I'm guessing that the people in the study may not have been able to afford sufficient food of the
>> right kinds to provide the
nutrients -
>> keeping in mind they are sr citizens that may be on limited
income -
>> or were using an old version of the food pyramid.
>>
>> Dot

Dot - I'm not sure what their eating habits were, but the study suggested that it was long term
multi vitamin use that was beneficial. the group mnay have been senior citizens, but the ones
getting the most/best benefits were those that started 20 - 30 years ago.

Bruce