Please Recommend Me a Bicycle

jmac2043

Jan 14, 2006
Hello all, I know you guys must get this question alot but...I am a runner and my shin splints seem to be getting worse and worse; also, there is no running track around my apartment with soft compound so it looks like I will be getting a bicycle. What would be a decent starter bike. I will be riding on local streets on smooth, flat concrete.

Thanks for any insight.

A Giant OCR 1 aluminum bike is excellent. Great starter bike and then when you get serious with more expensive bikes you can just put panniers and a rack on it and use it for a city commuter bike. It'll cost you $850 to $1000 US dollars.

jmac2043 said:
Hello all, I know you guys must get this question alot but...I am a runner and my shin splints seem to be getting worse and worse; also, there is no running track around my apartment with soft compound so it looks like I will be getting a bicycle. What would be a decent starter bike. I will be riding on local streets on smooth, flat concrete.

Thanks for any insight.
Go shopping around. All the bike maker have solid bikes for ~$800- $1k. Go to all the shops in your area and ride all that fit your price range.

Check with all your local shops, they might have a good starter bike for cheap. Make sure you get fit for your bike, that's very important. Don't have some dip-stick, Dave Mirra wannabee, pants hanging around his butt-hole, bike-shop-mechanic-because he's too damn stupid to work at Mcdonalds, kid tell you that you have to tough out the pain. Find someone who can fit you up with the correct saddle/bar height, and all the other little angles and dangles. You'll be way ahead of the game that way.

Definitely look up a reputable bike shop and get fitted properly. It isn't a good deal if it doesnt' fit you and you quit riding. Also, get at least one good jersey and one good pair of cycling shorts. They make a world of difference.

$600-800 is about the bare minimum to spend on a decent bike, if you are buying new. Below that, you start getting uncomfortable frames, and substandard components that wear out quickly. It's a good idea to stick with a reputable vendor: Trek, Giant, Cannondale, Felt, Klein, etc... they deliver a solid product at a decent price.

The 2005 Giant OCR 3 Composite is going for $1099 at some shops. That's an excellent deal !

Sorry to hear about your shins but the human body isn't really made for constant impacts.
Sounds like if you're a runner, your probablly in pretty good shape. So I would look a little beyond a starter bike. I would consider bikes in the $350 to $800 range a starter bike. $1100 to $1500 is probably the range I would be looking at. You would get a slightly lighter bike with slightly better components, etc. Realistically most bike brands are competitively priced with minor differences, so I think just about any brand in those price ranges would serve you well. You will also not have to look back and wish you had bought something a little better. So you can grow into the bike "so to speak".

jmac2043 said:

Thanks for any insight.

Sorry to hear about your shins but the human body isn't really made for constant impacts.
Sounds like if you're a runner, your probablly in pretty good shape. So I would look a little beyond a starter bike. I would consider bikes in the $350 to $800 range a starter bike. $1100 to $1500 is probably the range I would be looking at. You would get a slightly lighter bike with slightly better components, etc. Realistically most bike brands are competitively priced with minor differences, so I think just about any brand in those price ranges would serve you well. You will also not have to look back and wish you had bought something a little better. So you can grow into the bike "so to speak".

jmac2043 said:

Thanks for any insight.

Think used bike. Lotsa folks go out and spend bucks on nice bikes only to have them gather garage dust after a couple of rides.

Think used bike. Lotsa folks go out and spend bucks on nice bikes only to have them gather garage dust after a couple of rides.

My suggestion is a bike more suited to a runner, (triathlete) with steeper frame geometry, Giant TCR (Aero), Felt F100, F90 (8 speed), Felt F80 (9 speed). Find a LBS to do a good bike set up, and learn to spin, 90+ cadence, the legs should get better.
Where are you located?

My suggestion is a bike more suited to a runner, (triathlete) with steeper frame geometry, Giant TCR (Aero), Felt F100, F90 (8 speed), Felt F80 (9 speed). Find a LBS to do a good bike set up, and learn to spin, 90+ cadence, the legs should get better.
Where are you located?