Please recommend my first bike!

TTU-C

Apr 21, 2019
I'm male 33, 6 feet tall and 175 lbs, just want to get started and out of the research phase - just want to buy something and move forward!

I want to ride at my local park occasionally on gravel, light trails, but primarily ride on roads. I like quite roads without cars so being able to ride on gravel roads would be nice. Most importantly, I need an upright seating position because I'm getting over a lower back injury, so I want flat handle bars ideally in line with the seat.

I want to spend less than $500 US, so I'm willing to ride an all aluminum or steel frame, 8 rear gauge (clauvis), etc.

1. Don't want to pay for carbon anything (frame or fork) - so all aluminum or steel.
2. 8 gauge Shimano Chauvis is good.
3. Flat Handle bars
4. I NEED to buy upright as possible (but not a raised handle bar higher than seat (comfort bike).
5. Tires 32 centimeters wide to aid on off road travel.

With these in mind, a few type of bikes might fit the criteria.

1. Gravel Bikes
2. Fitness Bikes
3. Hybrid Dual Sport
4. Endurance Road Bike.

Guys, please recommend me a bike, new or used, so I can buy something and get out there. Save me some trouble!!

Also, where are the best places to shop in USA online?

I'm leaning towards Colnago Impact, or a Trek DS2, which has a suspension but is possible to lock it for long flat roads etc. This comes in around 600 US.

The Colnago looks lovely and is on sale for 699 (500$ off).

Is the colnago really that much better of a bike (better components)?

bikeexchange.com/a/flat-bar-road-bikes/colnago/impact/136694699

hello!
I suggest you to buy E-cycle from Best electric bike usa store . They have alot of E-cycles . It's good for your health and much better then ordinary cycle .Comfortable seat .I hope you like my suggest.
Thankyou!

I'm male 33, 6 feet tall and 175 lbs, just want to get started and out of the research phase - just want to buy something and move forward!

I want to ride at my local park occasionally on gravel, light trails, but primarily ride on roads. I like quite roads without cars so being able to ride on gravel roads would be nice. Most importantly, I need an upright seating position because I'm getting over a lower back injury, so I want flat handle bars ideally in line with the seat.

I want to spend less than $500 US, so I'm willing to ride an all aluminum or steel frame, 8 rear gauge (clauvis), etc.

1. Don't want to pay for carbon anything (frame or fork) - so all aluminum or steel.
2. 8 gauge Shimano Chauvis is good.
3. Flat Handle bars
4. I NEED to buy upright as possible (but not a raised handle bar higher than seat (comfort bike).
5. Tires 32 centimeters wide to aid on off road travel.

With these in mind, a few type of bikes might fit the criteria.

1. Gravel Bikes
2. Fitness Bikes
3. Hybrid Dual Sport
4. Endurance Road Bike.

Guys, please recommend me a bike, new or used, so I can buy something and get out there. Save me some trouble!!

Also, where are the best places to shop in USA online?

I understand you as a person who wants to buy a bike and move forward! A man is easier than a girl, on the other hand, there are cyclingforums and here you will always find friends with good advice. In this case, you were lucky I also had a back injury from a professional game of tennis and you had to somehow maintain the cardiovascular system during the treatment of the back. I was in college at the time and I had many friends with tips. But I listened to the advice of my professor, to whom I wrote a written work, with which my friends helped me. In order to ride “in your local park from time to time along gravel, light trails, but mainly drive on roads” you do not need sports bicycles and hunting fat bicycles. Especially if you need, I need a vertical seat, due to the experienced lower back injury. For this purpose, flat arms and flat handles ideally fit the seat.

Spending less than $ 500 is quite possible if there is a willingness to take a bike on an aluminum or steel frame. Yes, you really need big tires 29 inches (you have the right height for the 29er or Twenty-nine).

With this in mind, one type of bike can meet the criteria - this is a city bike. Look what a straight back a woman has on such a bike. This is just for your back. Forget about your beautiful list of bike types:
1. Gravel Bikes
2. Fitness bikes
3. Hybrid Dual Sport
4. Endurance road bike.
You have a back injury and you must do everything that your back tells you “THANKS”. It does not matter whether it is a bicycle, new or used. The main thing that he was for the joy of the back. All Holland rides such bikes, including people with back injuries.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utility_bicycle#City_bicycle
To the question: "Where are the best places to shop in the US online?" The answer is the easiest and will give it to Uncle Google!

Attachments

• citybike.jpg
    citybike.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 26
Get a steel hybrid bike and don't bother with suspension - it's just extra weight to carry around.

And find a local bike shop and give them your business. They will help you get setup and fitted properly - and they'll have the other accessories youll need. Plus a repair and service facility for when you need it.

Congrats on deciding on cycling, it's a fun sport.

I agree with paying less than $500 for your first bike, just in case you don't stick to it over the long haul you don't want expensive garage art.

If you want an upright riding position then really the hybrid or the fitness bike is your only real option; the gravel and endurance bikes have drop handlebars and those will make you lean forward more and thus not as upright. I would stay away from comfort bikes or super hybrid bikes, their positioning for riding longer than just around a park is uncomfortable contrary to their name! I would try both the fitness and the hybrid and see which one you like the most, the fitness will have you leaning a bit more forward then the hybrid but not as much as a drop bar. If you want to slowly prepare yourself for the day of making the switch to a road or gravel bike then fitness bike would do that. Another bike to consider is the commuter bike.

Stay away from bikes with front shock forks; bikes priced below $900 will have crappy front shock forks that are completely useless and they weight a lot plus fail pretty quickly and replacement forks will cost as much as he bike did! in addition they take a bit of your wattage needed to propel the bike forward and absorb it into the fork giving you less power to move the bike forward.

Now what to get that's decent for under $500, that's a bit difficult but not impossible mostly because most hybrids come with front shock forks to attract the male ego. Try REI if you have one near you, they sell Diamondback brand which is really quite decent for the price. Also Dicks Sporting Goods carry the GT, Mongoose and Nishiki line which are not bad for the price. If you have trouble finding a bike in your price range than go into the used market, those sort of bikes pop up all the time, just make sure it fits you and it appears to be in good condition, most of those type of bikes don't get ridden much due to people find out they don't like to cycle, or decide they want to move on to a different style of bike.

Sure, I understand your requirements. For someone looking for an occasional recreational ride on gravel and light trails, as well as roads, a cyclocross or hybrid bike could be a good fit. They offer versatility, durability, and are designed for a variety of terrains.

With your budget in mind, I would recommend checking out brands like State Bicycle Co., Nashbar, or Raleigh. They offer quality bikes with flat handlebars, an upright seating position, and priced under $500.

However, I'd like to point out that spending more money on a bike doesn't always mean better quality. It's crucial to focus on finding a bike that fits your needs and size while ensuring it has the necessary features for your intended use.

Lastly, make sure to take the bike for a test ride to ensure it's comfortable and meets your expectations. Good luck and enjoy your new bike! :)

A flat bar road bike would be a great choice for your needs. At your height and weight, you'll want to look for a bike with a stable, relaxed geometry. However, with a $500 budget, your options may be limited in terms of high-performance components. I would recommend prioritizing a lightweight frame and fork, as this will have the greatest impact on your overall speed and comfort. Additionally, make sure to check that the bike you choose has enough tire clearance for wider gravel tires, as this will give you more options for where you can ride. Don't settle for a low-performance bike just to get started - it's important to choose a bike that will meet your needs and help you perform at your best.

A flat bar road bike might be your pick, but let's not overlook the potential of a hybrid or gravel bike. Sure, a lightweight frame and fork are important, but don't forget about the quality of the brakes and shifters. And while wider tires are great for versatility, they can also add rolling resistance. Plus, with a tight budget, after-market upgrades might be necessary. Just some food for thought. #cyclinglife #bikeadvice

A hybrid or gravel bike could indeed be a smart choice, offering versatility and adaptability on different terrains. However, it's worth noting that high-quality brakes and shifters are essential regardless of the bike type. While wider tires can enhance stability, they may not always be ideal for speed and could increase rolling resistance. As for budget constraints, it's true that after-market upgrades might be needed, but careful research and smart shopping can help optimize costs. #bikechat #cyclingthoughts