Please Suggest!!!

dinesh123

Jul 17, 2010
Hey I recently bought a Cannondale F9 about 2 months back and now there seems to be a small noise coming from the gears at the back. Any suggestions on what the problem might be?

dinesh123 said:
Hey I recently bought a Cannondale F9 about 2 months back and now there seems to be a small noise coming from the gears at the back. Any suggestions on what the problem might be?

If you bought it new it might simply be that the shifter cable has bedded in a little, making it appear as if it's stretched. If that's the case a few turns on the barrel adjuster will take care of the issue. If you bought it new, bring it back to the shop and they should dial it in for you.

That sounds about right. though most bike shops allow an adjustment period of up to a year (if you bought the bike from a shop that is). If that is the case take it in and have them show you how to do the adjustment. It is a very useful skill.

dinesh123 said:

Here's an article on gears as to how to maintain and stuff.... "Harris Cyclery Articles about Gears" [FONT=&quot]And if u want any other info on some cycling tips you can mail on "[email protected]" and they'll send you some Catalogs, info etc..[/FONT]

Thanks for the suggestion,

I have bought it recently two months back and still getting the noise from gears so, I will take it to the shop.If you have any suggestion regarding this then please post here.

frenchyge said:
Since when does the late, great Sheldon Brown's gearing webpage constitute an article by Harris Cyclery? I'm not an attorney, but that smells like borderline copyright infringement to me.
Since Sheldon Brown was a partner and head wrench at Harris, and since his website is on their server, and since they are kind enough to keep it available at no charge to us mere mortals, I don't think that there is any copyright infringement at all. Surf Sheldon's sight in depth some time and you will run across Harris Cyclery quite often.

Sheldon's even got his own Wikipedia entry! Maybe that shouldn't be a surprise. If my brother has one, then Sheldon certainly should.

Can anyone tell me, the noise coming from the back gears because of multi speed gears, is it right?

dinesh123 said:
Can anyone tell me, the noise coming from the back gears because of multi speed gears, is it right?

Yes, there is a mechanical mechanism back there that can make noise (if that's what you're asking); certain sounds are nothing to worry about and others mean an adjustment or repair may be needed. Have you yet to take the bike in to your shop?

Serious Chris said:
Yes, there is a mechanical mechanism back there that can make noise (if that's what you're asking); certain sounds are nothing to worry about and others mean an adjustment or repair may be needed. Have you yet to take the bike in to your shop?
Check your bike at the shop first.

Read response #2 on this thread, and if that doesn't make sense then take the bike to a shop.