Please tell me this guy is going to jail???

886014 said:
In South Australia I've seen a leaflet in bike shops that basically and clearly reproduces the "additional road rules" as they apply to cyclists, in plain English. I feel Bicycle NSW should be producing the same thing here in NSW and make it available in bike shops, RTA etc etc. In the grand scheme of things it costs peanuts to produce and would at least educate cyclists as to their rights and responsibilities.
A great suggestion. Pity Bicycle NSW is so poorly run. Its web site says it all, what a contrast with Bicycle Victoria. Does anyone recall BNSW's head handling of the NRMA's criticism of the Epping Road cycle paths? I watched Unwin on TV and his performance was shameful. How do we get a decent Bicycle NSW?

biker jk said:
A great suggestion. Pity Bicycle NSW is so poorly run. Its web site says it all, what a contrast with Bicycle Victoria. Does anyone recall BNSW's head handling of the NRMA's criticism of the Epping Road cycle paths? I watched Unwin on TV and his performance was shameful. How do we get a decent Bicycle NSW?

Thanks mate. Maybe a first step is simply to write to BNSW with that leaflet suggestion? I am certainly going to. I don't know what other people think, but feel that a lot of angst directed towards cyclists on the road stems from the fact that drivers believe we are breaking the law, so of course they have a go. Bikes have outsold cars for the past eight years or so, imagine if every new helmet or bike, from toddlers bikes through to top racing bikes went out the door with that leaflet. The parents may not ride, but will at least see the rules from buying little Johnny's trike. I'm not suggesting it's any panacea but may go some way into educating the general public.

Update on this class act of a fellow :

"Sydney crash driver misses court - again

By John Stevenson, BikeRadar.com

The driver accused of causing a multiple-bike crash in Sydney, Australia has again failed to turn up to court to defend himself against charges arising from the May 8 incident, according to The Australian.

Thirty-four-year-old Hassan Bakr was due to appear on Tuesday but on Monday sent Waverley Local Court a note saying that he would not be attending and nor would his lawyer.

Bakr was initially charged with not supplying particulars, but charges were recently added of negligent driving, cutting in front of a vehicle and travelling in a transit lane.

In his note to the court, Bakr asked to enter a plea of not guilty to all charges.

He was due to face court last month, but failed to attend, claiming mechanical problems with his car prevented him from getting to Sydney from the country town of Albury, over 500km to the south-west.

On May 8 Bakr is alleged to have stopped suddenly in front of a group of about riders including top track rider Ben Kersten and Kate Nichols, a survivor of the 2005 crash that killed Australian team rider Amy Gillett. Kersten was injured in the ensuing crash.

Eyewitnesses described the driver's actions as intentional."

Thanks for keeping us up to date with this. I know we're supposed to presume innocent until proven guilty, but I think it really does tend to suggest the level of intelligence we're dealing with here. Good luck running mate!

Anyone know what is going on with the man with the World's most conveniently unreliable car?

What!!! Thanks for the link. Is this the way the legal system works in Australia? If you face a possible conviction just don't show up. How much does all this BS cost the tax payer!

886014 said:
What!!! Thanks for the link. Is this the way the legal system works in Australia? If you face a possible conviction just don't show up. How much does all this BS cost the tax payer!
A suggestion I have heard is that he may have a suspended sentence pending on a prior conviction(s) so he is waiting for that period to pass before turning up to court so he doesn't go to jail (which would also ban him from being a bouncer again in the future). I am pretty sure this plan won't work (the date of the offense would be what is important, not the date he appears in court) but he seems to be (a) not very bright and (b) without legal representation, as far as I can tell.

On a positive note, all this stuffing around is not going to make him any friends in court! :)

roshea said:
On a positive note, all this stuffing around is not going to make him any friends in court! :)

Indeed! I understand after the last time he had "car trouble" and failed to appear, the police pressed additional charges essentially echoing the stories witnesses involved in the incident told.

I'd like to believe people are guilty until proven otherwise, but it's never looked real good for this clown. I think we're probably all guilty of doing some pretty stupid things but hopefully we look back, realise it was a dumb thing to do, and cop whatever the consequences are for our actions. But this idiot shows absolutely no respect for anyone, including the legal system, so I really hope he finishes up holding his ankles while Guido the killer pimp finds that misplaced soap!

What a loser!

46kgToDate said:
Off with his head, or better 16 weeks community service cleaning glass of the M7!
Nah, better to get him cleaning glass off General Holmes Drive. That would give him a proper appreciation for how "exciting" the road is when you're not protected by a tonne of metal.

apparently the judge has given him the benefit of the doubt, and said that according to "Hussan Bakr's version of events the level of negligence was low"

WTF

I say send the ****** judge on to general holmes drive for a couple of weeks and see if he doesn't change his mind.

The judge is probably one of those pricks that gets around in a silver Jaguar and treats cyclists with contempt. ****ing *****..

This ***** is as bad as the ****nuckle that caused the incident. **** im ****** off.

Someone get me out of Sydney please.

MPCRUSHER said:
apparently the judge has given him the benefit of the doubt, and said that according to "Hussan Bakr's version of events the level of negligence was low"

WTF

I say send the ****** judge on to general holmes drive for a couple of weeks and see if he doesn't change his mind.

The judge is probably one of those pricks that gets around in a silver Jaguar and treats cyclists with contempt. ****ing *****..

This ***** is as bad as the ****nuckle that caused the incident. **** im ****** off.

Someone get me out of Sydney please.
The magistrate was reflecting the all too common community attitude that cyclists shouldn't be on the road and they are expendable. Views expressed not so long ago by Mr Evans from the NRMA (although I see he is no longer President, hooray!).