pleurisy: Anyone else here had it?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by oztrev, Aug 8, 2005.

  1. oztrev

    oztrev New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2004
    Hi everyone (long-time lurker), thought I would ask if anyone here has had Pleurisy, and how long it took to get over it. I came down with it around 6 weeks ago, and it flared up again last week with me ending up in hospital for 2 days - nice.

    The doctor told me to stay off my bike, which will be hard (I was riding 2 weeks ago as another doctor said it would be ok to do so. Unfortunately, I only know one way to ride, and can't just tootle along so that may be why I got sick again.

    Thanks in advance for any info/advice

    Trev

    Tags:

  2. hemyd

    hemyd Guest

    "oztrev" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]

    > Hi everyone (long-time lurker), thought I would ask if anyone here has
    > had Pleurisy, and how long it took to get over it. I came down with it
    > around 6 weeks ago, and it flared up again last week with me ending up
    > in hospital for 2 days - nice.
    >
    > The doctor told me to stay off my bike, which will be hard (I was
    > riding 2 weeks ago as another doctor said it would be ok to do so.
    > Unfortunately, I only know one way to ride, and can't just tootle along
    > so that may be why I got sick again.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any info/advice
    >
    > Trev
    >

    > --
    > oztrev

    I had pleurisy when I was about 20 - a few decades ago. Speaking as someone
    who never listens to anyone who tells me to take iteasy, I strongly suggest
    that you do treat this most seriously, as it can devlop into complications.
    i vaguelly recall pneumonia being one of them, but I could be wrong.
    Whatever - concult your doctor and do as he says.

    Henry.

  3. alison_b

    alison_b New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2005
    I had it about 8 years ago. Practice tootling! Seriously, rest up for as long as advised, and then ease into activity slowly. Otherwise you end up slowed down for longer :( I learnt the hard way that "sweating it out" doesn't work for everything!

    I hope all goes well with the rest of your recovery.
    ali

  4. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    I copped a dose of pleurisy back in '96. An direct outcome of that was giving up smoking. Immediately. And a few months later, resuming cycling after a 17 year break.

    As Ali says, practice 'tootling' and take it easy. No big hill climbs, cold morning starts, riding in the wet (apols to Melb commuters out there tonight!) etc. Take a gradual return to your usual cycling and practice that tootling! :)

  5. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2005-08-09, cfsmtb (aka Bruce)
    > riding in the wet (apols to Melb commuters out
    > there tonight!) etc. Take a gradual return to your usual cycling and
    > practice that tootling! :)

    Waiting for the rain to pass, watching the shuttle wait for the rain
    to pass (or more accurately, it passing the rain).

    Yay for the rain! I like rain, just not so much riding in it. Brrrr.

    --
    TimC
    Vodka, barbeque, pizza, beer - which is essential for the post-modern coder?

  6. oztrev

    oztrev New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2004
    Thanks for the replies everyone :). Your advice is appreciated. I need to see the doc in 4 weeks, so won't ride until I hear what he has to say. The only riding I am doing is practising track-stands in my driveway on my fixie (unclipped until I feel brave enough!).

    Tootling will be the go for a while - any sort of riding is much, much better than none at all. I'll just have to keep telling myself that when I am tempted to go as my dad says '19 to the dozen'.

    Thanks again

    Trev

  7. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    oztrev wrote:

    > Thanks for the replies everyone :). Your advice is appreciated. I need
    > to see the doc in 4 weeks, so won't ride until I hear what he has to
    > say. The only riding I am doing is practising track-stands in my
    > driveway on my fixie (unclipped until I feel brave enough!).
    >
    > Tootling will be the go for a while - any sort of riding is much, much
    > better than none at all. I'll just have to keep telling myself that
    > when I am tempted to go as my dad says '19 to the dozen'.
    >
    > Thanks again
    >
    > Trev
    >
    > --
    > oztrev

    Good call Trev,

    you really don't want to dick around with your CV system.

    Tam

  8. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    you 'space' lot are so boring! :rolleyes:

    i was soooo looking forward to everything to go kableweeeeee last night but sadly those darned astronauts are so damn PC these days, all they think of is themselves. geeeeesh!!!

  9. On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 16:16:31 +1000, oztrev wrote:

    > Hi everyone (long-time lurker), thought I would ask if anyone here has
    > had Pleurisy, and how long it took to get over it. I came down with it
    > around 6 weeks ago, and it flared up again last week with me ending up
    > in hospital for 2 days - nice.

    A friend came down with it about 3 weeks ago, just before a planned
    holiday to Bali. He decided to go anyway, and got back the other day
    no better than when he left. I hope he's getting some treatment for
    it now.

  10. On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 16:16:31 +1000, oztrev wrote:

    > Hi everyone (long-time lurker), thought I would ask if anyone here has
    > had Pleurisy, and how long it took to get over it. I came down with it
    > around 6 weeks ago, and it flared up again last week with me ending up
    > in hospital for 2 days - nice.

    A friend came down with it about 3 weeks ago, just before a planned
    holiday to Bali. He decided to go anyway, and got back the other day
    no better than when he left. I hope he's getting some treatment for
    it now.

  11. Paulie-AU

    Paulie-AU New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2005
    I just did a search on what Pleurisy actually is. I think that I have had it on and off for about 3 years now in very mild cases. I get the sharp pain in my chest, pain in the sholder etc. Only difference I can see is that the pain is high on the left side of my chest. I have had symptoms this week after really pushing hard in a crit on saturday morning and then riding 42k home into a killer headwind while trying to have a nice average. I rode again on monday but have not ridden for the last 2 days.

    I was going to ride again tomorrow, friday and race on saturday again.....mabye this isn't the smartest idea.

    Lotte recommended going to a doctor this week.....and now I am thinking mabye I should.

  12. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Paulie-AU wrote:

    > oztrev Wrote:
    > > Hi everyone (long-time lurker), thought I would ask if anyone here has
    > > had Pleurisy, and how long it took to get over it. I came down with it
    > > around 6 weeks ago, and it flared up again last week with me ending up
    > > in hospital for 2 days - nice.
    > >
    > > The doctor told me to stay off my bike, which will be hard (I was
    > > riding 2 weeks ago as another doctor said it would be ok to do so.
    > > Unfortunately, I only know one way to ride, and can't just tootle along
    > > so that may be why I got sick again.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for any info/advice
    > >
    > > Trev

    > I just did a search on what Pleurisy actually is. I think that I have
    > had it on and off for about 3 years now in very mild cases. I get the
    > sharp pain in my chest, pain in the sholder etc. Only difference I can
    > see is that the pain is high on the left side of my chest. I have had
    > symptoms this week after really pushing hard in a crit on saturday
    > morning and then riding 42k home into a killer headwind while trying to
    > have a nice average. I rode again on monday but have not ridden for the
    > last 2 days.
    >
    > I was going to ride again tomorrow, friday and race on saturday
    > again.....mabye this isn't the smartest idea.
    >
    > Lotte recommended going to a doctor this week.....and now I am thinking
    > mabye I should.
    >
    > --
    > Paulie-AU

    Nothin' like the web to cause mass hysteria amongst hypochondriacs :p
    Interesting that Lotte can make you go to the doc... how do you go about
    making her go?

    Chest pain is not something to trifle with though. (Unless you're sure
    it's just your pecs and intercostals.)

    Tam

  13. dtmeister

    dtmeister Guest

    Paulie-AU <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I just did a search on what Pleurisy actually is. I think that I have
    > had it on and off for about 3 years now in very mild cases. I get the
    > sharp pain in my chest, pain in the sholder etc. Only difference I can
    > see is that the pain is high on the left side of my chest. I have had

    I wouldn't try self diagnose using the net. You'll scare yourself silly.
    There are probably a 101 different things that could cause similar
    symptoms.

    > Lotte recommended going to a doctor this week.....and now I am thinking
    > mabye I should.

    :) I would. If only for peace of mind that it's probably nothing more
    than what you might expect from maybe pushing yourself hard.

    --
    ..dt
    1996 Diamond Back 'Expert Tg' Roadie (7spd DT shifters, favourite bike!)

  14. LotteBum

    LotteBum New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2004
    Messages:
    1,138
    McPaul wrote:

    Lotte recommended going to a doctor this week.....

    Correction: I've made this recommendation regularly for the past three years.

    and now I am thinking mabye I should.

    You don't say........ just don't ruin my holiday!! K? :rolleyes:

    Lotte

  15. Paulie-AU

    Paulie-AU New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2005
    Tam Wrote

    Nothin' like the web to cause mass hysteria amongst hypochondriacs :p
    Interesting that Lotte can make you go to the doc... how do you go about
    making her go?

    Chest pain is not something to trifle with though. (Unless you're sure
    it's just your pecs and intercostals.)

    Thats why I dont run off the the doctor every time I have a little problem.

    In the past however I have had bronchitarse :D heaps of times and have also managed to have hooping cough (when I was 18) that lasted for about 3 months.

    While I am not stressing out a heap over it, I had been putting the sharp chest pains and shoulder pain that goes with it down to back problems. But couldnt explain why I would suddenly have an attack and then it be totally gone a few mins later.

  16. alison_b

    alison_b New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2005
    I'm with Lotte on this one. Go to the doctor. Chest pain that can't be traced to some muscle strain, combined with pain in the shoulder, needs to be checked. If only so Lotte can sleep well on her holiday ;)

    ali

  17. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Paulie-AU wrote:
    <snip>
    > While I am not stressing out a heap over it, I had been putting the
    > sharp chest pains and shoulder pain that goes with it down to back
    > problems. But couldnt explain why I would suddenly have an attack and
    > then it be totally gone a few mins later.

    Lotte, slap this one and send him to a doctor. If he's sick, he can stay
    home and Simon can look after him while we ride.

    It could be a whole lot of things. A few months back I went to the doc
    with chest pains. After a while on ECG and everything looking normal
    (well except for my HR being ridiculously low but nice and strong) they
    decided not to worry about me.

    Tam

  18. Paulie-AU

    Paulie-AU New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2005
    Tam Wrote

    It could be a whole lot of things. A few months back I went to the doc
    with chest pains. After a while on ECG and everything looking normal
    (well except for my HR being ridiculously low but nice and strong) they
    decided not to worry about me.

    Off the topic....what is a low HR. Mine is 48 at the moment (at work and have had a few cup of coffee today). But yesterday at about this time of day it was 64.

    Just measured it again and got 55. It is all over the place I think.

  19. dtmeister

    dtmeister Guest

    Paulie-AU <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Tam Wrote
    >
    > It could be a whole lot of things. A few months back I went to the doc
    > with chest pains. After a while on ECG and everything looking normal
    > (well except for my HR being ridiculously low but nice and strong) they
    > decided not to worry about me.
    >
    > Off the topic....what is a low HR. Mine is 48 at the moment (at work
    > and have had a few cup of coffee today). But yesterday at about this
    > time of day it was 64.

    Anything below 60 is technically a medical condition called bradycardia.

    Not really applicable in fit people of course.

    If you ever end up getting tests/xrays looking at HR and heart size,
    make sure you let them know that you're physically active as they might
    diagnose you with all sorts of nasty things..

    --
    ..dt
    1996 Diamond Back 'Expert Tg' Roadie (7spd DT shifters, favourite bike!)
    2004 Trek 2300 Roadie (9spd Ultegra)
    2003 DiamondBack 'Criterium' Roadie (8spd Sora, rain bike)

  20. In article <[email protected]>,
    Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Nothin' like the web to cause mass hysteria amongst hypochondriacs :p

    There's a new syndrome: cyberchondria.

    --
    Shane Stanley