pleurisy: Anyone else here had it?

oztrev

New Member
Aug 7, 2004
Hi everyone (long-time lurker), thought I would ask if anyone here has had Pleurisy, and how long it took to get over it. I came down with it around 6 weeks ago, and it flared up again last week with me ending up in hospital for 2 days - nice.

The doctor told me to stay off my bike, which will be hard (I was riding 2 weeks ago as another doctor said it would be ok to do so. Unfortunately, I only know one way to ride, and can't just tootle along so that may be why I got sick again.

Thanks in advance for any info/advice

Trev

"oztrev" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...

> Hi everyone (long-time lurker), thought I would ask if anyone here has
> had Pleurisy, and how long it took to get over it. I came down with it
> around 6 weeks ago, and it flared up again last week with me ending up
> in hospital for 2 days - nice.
>
> The doctor told me to stay off my bike, which will be hard (I was
> riding 2 weeks ago as another doctor said it would be ok to do so.
> Unfortunately, I only know one way to ride, and can't just tootle along
> so that may be why I got sick again.
>
> Thanks in advance for any info/advice
>
> Trev
>

> --
> oztrev

I had pleurisy when I was about 20 - a few decades ago. Speaking as someone
who never listens to anyone who tells me to take iteasy, I strongly suggest
that you do treat this most seriously, as it can devlop into complications.
i vaguelly recall pneumonia being one of them, but I could be wrong.
Whatever - concult your doctor and do as he says.

Henry.

oztrev said:
Hi everyone (long-time lurker), thought I would ask if anyone here has had Pleurisy, and how long it took to get over it. I came down with it around 6 weeks ago, and it flared up again last week with me ending up in hospital for 2 days - nice.

The doctor told me to stay off my bike, which will be hard (I was riding 2 weeks ago as another doctor said it would be ok to do so. Unfortunately, I only know one way to ride, and can't just tootle along so that may be why I got sick again.

Thanks in advance for any info/advice

Trev
I had it about 8 years ago. Practice tootling! Seriously, rest up for as long as advised, and then ease into activity slowly. Otherwise you end up slowed down for longer :( I learnt the hard way that "sweating it out" doesn't work for everything!

I hope all goes well with the rest of your recovery.
ali

I copped a dose of pleurisy back in '96. An direct outcome of that was giving up smoking. Immediately. And a few months later, resuming cycling after a 17 year break.

As Ali says, practice 'tootling' and take it easy. No big hill climbs, cold morning starts, riding in the wet (apols to Melb commuters out there tonight!) etc. Take a gradual return to your usual cycling and practice that tootling! :)

On 2005-08-09, cfsmtb (aka Bruce)
> riding in the wet (apols to Melb commuters out
> there tonight!) etc. Take a gradual return to your usual cycling and
> practice that tootling! :)

Waiting for the rain to pass, watching the shuttle wait for the rain
to pass (or more accurately, it passing the rain).

Yay for the rain! I like rain, just not so much riding in it. Brrrr.

--
TimC
Vodka, barbeque, pizza, beer - which is essential for the post-modern coder?

Thanks for the replies everyone :). Your advice is appreciated. I need to see the doc in 4 weeks, so won't ride until I hear what he has to say. The only riding I am doing is practising track-stands in my driveway on my fixie (unclipped until I feel brave enough!).

Tootling will be the go for a while - any sort of riding is much, much better than none at all. I'll just have to keep telling myself that when I am tempted to go as my dad says '19 to the dozen'.

Thanks again

Trev

oztrev wrote:

> Thanks for the replies everyone :). Your advice is appreciated. I need
> to see the doc in 4 weeks, so won't ride until I hear what he has to
> say. The only riding I am doing is practising track-stands in my
> driveway on my fixie (unclipped until I feel brave enough!).
>
> Tootling will be the go for a while - any sort of riding is much, much
> better than none at all. I'll just have to keep telling myself that
> when I am tempted to go as my dad says '19 to the dozen'.
>
> Thanks again
>
> Trev
>
> --
> oztrev

Good call Trev,

you really don't want to **** around with your CV system.

Tam

TimC said:
Waiting for the rain to pass, watching the shuttle wait for the rain
to pass (or more accurately, it passing the rain).

you 'space' lot are so boring! :rolleyes:

i was soooo looking forward to everything to go kableweeeeee last night but sadly those darned astronauts are so damn PC these days, all they think of is themselves. geeeeesh!!!

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 16:16:31 +1000, oztrev wrote:

> Hi everyone (long-time lurker), thought I would ask if anyone here has
> had Pleurisy, and how long it took to get over it. I came down with it
> around 6 weeks ago, and it flared up again last week with me ending up
> in hospital for 2 days - nice.

A friend came down with it about 3 weeks ago, just before a planned
holiday to Bali. He decided to go anyway, and got back the other day
no better than when he left. I hope he's getting some treatment for
it now.

oztrev said:
Hi everyone (long-time lurker), thought I would ask if anyone here has had Pleurisy, and how long it took to get over it. I came down with it around 6 weeks ago, and it flared up again last week with me ending up in hospital for 2 days - nice.

The doctor told me to stay off my bike, which will be hard (I was riding 2 weeks ago as another doctor said it would be ok to do so. Unfortunately, I only know one way to ride, and can't just tootle along so that may be why I got sick again.

Thanks in advance for any info/advice

Trev
I just did a search on what Pleurisy actually is. I think that I have had it on and off for about 3 years now in very mild cases. I get the sharp pain in my chest, pain in the sholder etc. Only difference I can see is that the pain is high on the left side of my chest. I have had symptoms this week after really pushing hard in a crit on saturday morning and then riding 42k home into a killer headwind while trying to have a nice average. I rode again on monday but have not ridden for the last 2 days.

I was going to ride again tomorrow, friday and race on saturday again.....mabye this isn't the smartest idea.

Lotte recommended going to a doctor this week.....and now I am thinking mabye I should.

Paulie-AU wrote:

> oztrev Wrote:
> > Hi everyone (long-time lurker), thought I would ask if anyone here has
> > had Pleurisy, and how long it took to get over it. I came down with it
> > around 6 weeks ago, and it flared up again last week with me ending up
> > in hospital for 2 days - nice.
> >
> > The doctor told me to stay off my bike, which will be hard (I was
> > riding 2 weeks ago as another doctor said it would be ok to do so.
> > Unfortunately, I only know one way to ride, and can't just tootle along
> > so that may be why I got sick again.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any info/advice
> >
> > Trev

> I just did a search on what Pleurisy actually is. I think that I have
> had it on and off for about 3 years now in very mild cases. I get the
> sharp pain in my chest, pain in the sholder etc. Only difference I can
> see is that the pain is high on the left side of my chest. I have had
> symptoms this week after really pushing hard in a crit on saturday
> morning and then riding 42k home into a killer headwind while trying to
> have a nice average. I rode again on monday but have not ridden for the
> last 2 days.
>
> I was going to ride again tomorrow, friday and race on saturday
> again.....mabye this isn't the smartest idea.
>
> Lotte recommended going to a doctor this week.....and now I am thinking
> mabye I should.
>
> --
> Paulie-AU

Nothin' like the web to cause mass hysteria amongst hypochondriacs :p
Interesting that Lotte can make you go to the doc... how do you go about
making her go?

Chest pain is not something to trifle with though. (Unless you're sure
it's just your pecs and intercostals.)

Tam

Paulie-AU <[email protected]> wrote:
> I just did a search on what Pleurisy actually is. I think that I have
> had it on and off for about 3 years now in very mild cases. I get the
> sharp pain in my chest, pain in the sholder etc. Only difference I can
> see is that the pain is high on the left side of my chest. I have had

I wouldn't try self diagnose using the net. You'll scare yourself silly.
There are probably a 101 different things that could cause similar
symptoms.

> Lotte recommended going to a doctor this week.....and now I am thinking
> mabye I should.

:) I would. If only for peace of mind that it's probably nothing more
than what you might expect from maybe pushing yourself hard.

--
..dt
1996 Diamond Back 'Expert Tg' Roadie (7spd DT shifters, favourite bike!)

McPaul wrote:

Lotte recommended going to a doctor this week.....

Correction: I've made this recommendation regularly for the past three years.

and now I am thinking mabye I should.

You don't say........ just don't ruin my holiday!! K? :rolleyes:

Lotte

Tam Wrote

Nothin' like the web to cause mass hysteria amongst hypochondriacs :p
Interesting that Lotte can make you go to the doc... how do you go about
making her go?

Chest pain is not something to trifle with though. (Unless you're sure
it's just your pecs and intercostals.)

Thats why I dont run off the the doctor every time I have a little problem.

In the past however I have had bronchitarse :D heaps of times and have also managed to have hooping cough (when I was 18) that lasted for about 3 months.

While I am not stressing out a heap over it, I had been putting the sharp chest pains and shoulder pain that goes with it down to back problems. But couldnt explain why I would suddenly have an attack and then it be totally gone a few mins later.

Paulie-AU said:
Tam Wrote

Nothin' like the web to cause mass hysteria amongst hypochondriacs :p
Interesting that Lotte can make you go to the doc... how do you go about
making her go?

Chest pain is not something to trifle with though. (Unless you're sure
it's just your pecs and intercostals.)

Thats why I dont run off the the doctor every time I have a little problem.

In the past however I have had bronchitarse :D heaps of times and have also managed to have hooping cough (when I was 18) that lasted for about 3 months.

While I am not stressing out a heap over it, I had been putting the sharp chest pains and shoulder pain that goes with it down to back problems. But couldnt explain why I would suddenly have an attack and then it be totally gone a few mins later.
I'm with Lotte on this one. Go to the doctor. Chest pain that can't be traced to some muscle strain, combined with pain in the shoulder, needs to be checked. If only so Lotte can sleep well on her holiday ;)

ali

Paulie-AU wrote:
<snip>
> While I am not stressing out a heap over it, I had been putting the
> sharp chest pains and shoulder pain that goes with it down to back
> problems. But couldnt explain why I would suddenly have an attack and
> then it be totally gone a few mins later.

Lotte, slap this one and send him to a doctor. If he's sick, he can stay
home and Simon can look after him while we ride.

It could be a whole lot of things. A few months back I went to the doc
with chest pains. After a while on ECG and everything looking normal
(well except for my HR being ridiculously low but nice and strong) they
decided not to worry about me.

Tam

Tam Wrote

It could be a whole lot of things. A few months back I went to the doc
with chest pains. After a while on ECG and everything looking normal
(well except for my HR being ridiculously low but nice and strong) they
decided not to worry about me.

Off the topic....what is a low HR. Mine is 48 at the moment (at work and have had a few cup of coffee today). But yesterday at about this time of day it was 64.

Just measured it again and got 55. It is all over the place I think.

Paulie-AU <[email protected]> wrote:

> Tam Wrote
>
> It could be a whole lot of things. A few months back I went to the doc
> with chest pains. After a while on ECG and everything looking normal
> (well except for my HR being ridiculously low but nice and strong) they
> decided not to worry about me.
>
> Off the topic....what is a low HR. Mine is 48 at the moment (at work
> and have had a few cup of coffee today). But yesterday at about this
> time of day it was 64.

Anything below 60 is technically a medical condition called bradycardia.

Not really applicable in fit people of course.

If you ever end up getting tests/xrays looking at HR and heart size,
make sure you let them know that you're physically active as they might
diagnose you with all sorts of nasty things..