Plie Squats

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by [email protected], Apr 1, 2006.

  1. On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 01:30:35 GMT, "Jen" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Can someone tell me, are *plie squats* the same as *wide stance squats*?
    >TIA
    >
    >Jen

    How big is your "spread"?

    Tags:

  2. Jen

    Jen Guest

    Can someone tell me, are *plie squats* the same as *wide stance squats*?
    TIA

    Jen

  3. Curt James

    Curt James Guest

  4. "Curt James" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Jen <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Can someone tell me, are *plie squats* the same as *wide stance
    >>squats*?
    >>TIA
    >>
    >>Jen

    > You tell me:
    >
    > http://images.google.com/images?q=plie+squats
    > http://images.google.com/images?q=wide+stance+squats

    The difference is in the position of the feet relative to the hips - in
    the typical wide stance squat, the objective is to "sit back" with an
    emphasis on pushing the butt back. In a "plie" style, the feet are
    turned out more and the hips travel much closer to straight up and down
    than in the wide stance PL style squat.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

  5. Curt James

    Curt James Guest

    Steve Freides <[email protected]> wrote:

    I scribbled:

    >> Jen <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Can someone tell me, are *plie squats* the same as *wide stance
    >>>squats*?
    >>>TIA
    >>>
    >>>Jen

    >> You tell me:
    >>
    >> http://images.google.com/images?q=plie+squats
    >> http://images.google.com/images?q=wide+stance+squats

    >The difference is in the position of the feet relative to the hips - in
    >the typical wide stance squat, the objective is to "sit back" with an
    >emphasis on pushing the butt back. In a "plie" style, the feet are
    >turned out more and the hips travel much closer to straight up and down
    >than in the wide stance PL style squat.

    And there you have it!

    Thanks for the telling, Steve.

    --
    Curt

  6. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Steve Freides wrote:
    > "Curt James" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Jen <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can someone tell me, are *plie squats* the same as *wide stance
    >>> squats*?
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> Jen

    >> You tell me:
    >>
    >> http://images.google.com/images?q=plie+squats
    >> http://images.google.com/images?q=wide+stance+squats

    > The difference is in the position of the feet relative to the hips - in
    > the typical wide stance squat, the objective is to "sit back" with an
    > emphasis on pushing the butt back. In a "plie" style, the feet are
    > turned out more and the hips travel much closer to straight up and down
    > than in the wide stance PL style squat.
    >
    > -S-
    > http://www.kbnj.com

    Steve what would be the different muscle groups in regards to strength
    and size?

    Thanks,
    Richard

  7. "Richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Steve Freides wrote:
    >> "Curt James" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >>> You tell me:
    >>>
    >>> http://images.google.com/images?q=plie+squats
    >>> http://images.google.com/images?q=wide+stance+squats

    >> The difference is in the position of the feet relative to the hips -
    >> in the typical wide stance squat, the objective is to "sit back" with
    >> an emphasis on pushing the butt back. In a "plie" style, the feet
    >> are turned out more and the hips travel much closer to straight up
    >> and down than in the wide stance PL style squat.
    >>
    >> -S-
    >> http://www.kbnj.com
    >>

    > Steve what would be the different muscle groups in regards to strength
    > and size?

    Beats me. Keith?

    There's an Inaba video of him doing what looks very much like a plie
    deadlift, too.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

    > Thanks,
    > Richard

  8. Hobbes

    Hobbes Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Steve Freides" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Steve Freides wrote:
    > >> "Curt James" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]

    > >> The difference is in the position of the feet relative to the hips -
    > >> in the typical wide stance squat, the objective is to "sit back" with
    > >> an emphasis on pushing the butt back. In a "plie" style, the feet
    > >> are turned out more and the hips travel much closer to straight up
    > >> and down than in the wide stance PL style squat.
    > >>
    > >> -S-
    > >> http://www.kbnj.com
    > >>

    > > Steve what would be the different muscle groups in regards to strength
    > > and size?

    > Beats me. Keith?
    >
    > There's an Inaba video of him doing what looks very much like a plie
    > deadlift, too.

    Too many variables in terms of relative body dimensions to say for
    everyone. But as a general rule the hips are more involved if the toes
    are pointed ahead (adductors, gluts especially) while the plie would
    work the hamstrings and external rotators more. If the knees are allowed
    to travel forward in the plie then quads are also stressed more.

    Really just moderate degrees of difference in most people, I think.

    --
    Keith

  9. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Hobbes wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Steve Freides" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> "Richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >>> Steve what would be the different muscle groups in regards to strength
    >>> and size?

    >> Beats me. Keith?
    >>
    >> There's an Inaba video of him doing what looks very much like a plie
    >> deadlift, too.

    > Too many variables in terms of relative body dimensions to say for
    > everyone. But as a general rule the hips are more involved if the toes
    > are pointed ahead (adductors, gluts especially) while the plie would
    > work the hamstrings and external rotators more. If the knees are allowed
    > to travel forward in the plie then quads are also stressed more.
    >
    > Really just moderate degrees of difference in most people, I think.

    Thank you Keith. I may give the plie a try (sorry) on the next leg
    day...tomorrow. Owie.