Plie Squats

Can someone tell me, are *plie squats* the same as *wide stance squats*?
TIA

Jen

"Curt James" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jen <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Can someone tell me, are *plie squats* the same as *wide stance
>>squats*?
>>TIA
>>
>>Jen

> You tell me:
>
> http://images.google.com/images?q=plie+squats
> http://images.google.com/images?q=wide+stance+squats

The difference is in the position of the feet relative to the hips - in
the typical wide stance squat, the objective is to "sit back" with an
emphasis on pushing the butt back. In a "plie" style, the feet are
turned out more and the hips travel much closer to straight up and down
than in the wide stance PL style squat.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Steve Freides <[email protected]> wrote:

I scribbled:

>> Jen <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Can someone tell me, are *plie squats* the same as *wide stance
>>>squats*?
>>>TIA
>>>
>>>Jen

>> You tell me:
>>
>> http://images.google.com/images?q=plie+squats
>> http://images.google.com/images?q=wide+stance+squats

>The difference is in the position of the feet relative to the hips - in
>the typical wide stance squat, the objective is to "sit back" with an
>emphasis on pushing the butt back. In a "plie" style, the feet are
>turned out more and the hips travel much closer to straight up and down
>than in the wide stance PL style squat.

And there you have it!

Thanks for the telling, Steve.

--
Curt

Steve Freides wrote:
> "Curt James" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Jen <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Can someone tell me, are *plie squats* the same as *wide stance
>>> squats*?
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Jen

>> You tell me:
>>
>> http://images.google.com/images?q=plie+squats
>> http://images.google.com/images?q=wide+stance+squats

> The difference is in the position of the feet relative to the hips - in
> the typical wide stance squat, the objective is to "sit back" with an
> emphasis on pushing the butt back. In a "plie" style, the feet are
> turned out more and the hips travel much closer to straight up and down
> than in the wide stance PL style squat.
>
> -S-
> http://www.kbnj.com

Steve what would be the different muscle groups in regards to strength
and size?

Thanks,
Richard

"Richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Steve Freides wrote:
>> "Curt James" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> You tell me:
>>>
>>> http://images.google.com/images?q=plie+squats
>>> http://images.google.com/images?q=wide+stance+squats

>> The difference is in the position of the feet relative to the hips -
>> in the typical wide stance squat, the objective is to "sit back" with
>> an emphasis on pushing the butt back. In a "plie" style, the feet
>> are turned out more and the hips travel much closer to straight up
>> and down than in the wide stance PL style squat.
>>
>> -S-
>> http://www.kbnj.com
>>

> Steve what would be the different muscle groups in regards to strength
> and size?

Beats me. Keith?

There's an Inaba video of him doing what looks very much like a plie
deadlift, too.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

> Thanks,
> Richard

In article <[email protected]>,
"Steve Freides" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Steve Freides wrote:
> >> "Curt James" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> >> The difference is in the position of the feet relative to the hips -
> >> in the typical wide stance squat, the objective is to "sit back" with
> >> an emphasis on pushing the butt back. In a "plie" style, the feet
> >> are turned out more and the hips travel much closer to straight up
> >> and down than in the wide stance PL style squat.
> >>
> >> -S-
> >> http://www.kbnj.com
> >>

> > Steve what would be the different muscle groups in regards to strength
> > and size?

> Beats me. Keith?
>
> There's an Inaba video of him doing what looks very much like a plie
> deadlift, too.

Too many variables in terms of relative body dimensions to say for
everyone. But as a general rule the hips are more involved if the toes
are pointed ahead (adductors, gluts especially) while the plie would
work the hamstrings and external rotators more. If the knees are allowed
to travel forward in the plie then quads are also stressed more.

Really just moderate degrees of difference in most people, I think.

--
Keith

Hobbes wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Steve Freides" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "Richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Steve what would be the different muscle groups in regards to strength
>>> and size?

>> Beats me. Keith?
>>
>> There's an Inaba video of him doing what looks very much like a plie
>> deadlift, too.

> Too many variables in terms of relative body dimensions to say for
> everyone. But as a general rule the hips are more involved if the toes
> are pointed ahead (adductors, gluts especially) while the plie would
> work the hamstrings and external rotators more. If the knees are allowed
> to travel forward in the plie then quads are also stressed more.
>
> Really just moderate degrees of difference in most people, I think.

Thank you Keith. I may give the plie a try (sorry) on the next leg
day...tomorrow. Owie.