Pls share your running music lists

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Mbt, Sep 14, 2003.

  1. Mbt

    Mbt Guest

    Greetings all. For those of you who listen to music while you run, I'd be interested to hear what's
    on your MP3 player. I'm pretty much a beginner as a runner, and I like music that keeps me slogging
    along for my 3-4 miles at
    12/min mile.

    Two quick notes:
    (13) If you believe that it's somehow sacrilegous to run with music (as opposed to the lovely sounds
    of the chirpy frogs or squirrels or birds or whatever), feel free to express your opinion, but
    I'm really looking for actual song suggestions by other "music fiend" runners.
    (14) Yes, I know it can be dangerous to run with headphones on. Cars, bicyclists, what-not. Point
    stipulated, counselor. Again, feel free to express your opinion, but I'm starting from the
    premise that I WILL listen to headphones when I jog, and I'm all about hearing suggestions for
    what comes into my ears at that point.

    Those two cranky asides aside, here's my current working list. Feel free to scoff, tweak, add on, or
    suggest alternatives:

    Disease by Matchbox Twenty. Goood beat. Smooth, by Rob Thomas with Santana, would also be a good
    analog. They have virtually the same groove.

    Body Movin', by the Beastie Boys, from Hello Nasty. Peppy and cute, and the steel drums are
    sorta fun.

    It's All About the Pentiums, by Weird Al Yankovic. I swear. This is actually a parody of a Puffy
    Combs song that I'm not familiar with, but the parody actually has a great rocking guitar riff. And,
    as a technologist, the song is just hilarious.

    The Way You Liked It, by Adema. I'm not a huge Adema fan, but this song just has a little trippy
    beat that I love to run to.

    Gel, by Collective Soul. Fabulous, relentless, fast beat, goood guitar groove.

    Heavy, by Collective Soul. Same as above, a little slower, very "in the groove".

    Living Dead Girl, Rob Zombie. You gotta like Zombie, but this is a GREAT running song for me. You
    never really realize how weird his lyrics are until they're blasting in your ears as you concentrate
    on your pace. This is a good "end of run" song for me, keeps me going.

    More Human Than Human, Rob Zombie. Same thing -- weird but a good driving beat.

    Jukebox Hero, Foreigner. This one is on probation (beat's a little slow) but so far it's remained on
    the Flash card. I skip it about half the time, though. It's cheesy but can be inspiring in the right
    frame of mind.

    Nasty Girl, by Vanity Six. (If you're a fan of the Beverly Hills Cop movie, this is the song playing
    in the strip-bar scene). It's verrrry early-80's and sort of embarassingly risque, but it's got a
    decent beat. Ending is a little slow, though, I often skip after the main verses end.

    No No No by Robert Frith. A little plug for a local Houston artist whom I really dig. The album Pon
    Tune is available on Amazon, and it's an EXCELLENT disc. Several good running songs, actually.
    Check him out.

    Insane in the Membrane, by Cypress Hill. Like most of my songs that stay on permanent running
    rotation (thus far), this one has a CONSTANT beat throughout. Good with heavy bass in the
    'phones, too.

    Steve McQueen, by Sheryl Crow. I LOVE this one! Good mid-run pacing (for
    me), great song. She's very easy to listen to while running. You're An Original, also by her, same
    album, is decent, too.

    Maybe Your Baby, by Stevie Wonder. (This song, by the way, in the top three funkiest songs of all
    time, ever, on any planet). Its slow pace made me think I wouldn't like it for running, but I
    actually love it. It's just sooooo freakin' from-another-planet funky.

    Anyway, the list is constantly being revised, and I welcome all suggestions. Thanks for your time.

    Marie

    Tags:

  2. Don Ward

    Don Ward Guest

    Running to music is an absolute must -I don't know how anyone could possibly do long runs - 10 miles
    + - without it. I am stuck in the baby boom generation so these are probably either unknown to most
    or just strange - I'm Goin' Home - by Ten Years After - live at Woodstock - absolute kick ass rock
    and nice and long at 9 min +: Southern Man by CSN+Y - on the album 4 way street they have a 13
    minute version that has a great duelling guitar piece - do not miss this if you like CSN and Y.
    Throw some Zep in - Whole Lotta Love and Heartbreaker, and some Crowbar , an old Canadian group with
    Oh What a feeling - live and Ask me no questions . Cool down with some Eagles - Peaceful, easy
    feeling, desperado, and lyin eyes. CCR is nice too with Susy Q

  3. Steve

    Steve Guest

    My whole music collection. Run with an Ipod so can hold about 200 cds on
    it. Everything from Metalica, AC/DC and Judas Priest to Tim McGraw, Toby Keith and Trick Pony.

    "MBT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
> [...]
    > Check him out.
    >
    > Insane in the Membrane, by Cypress Hill. Like most of my songs that stay
    on
    > permanent running rotation (thus far), this one has a CONSTANT beat throughout. Good with heavy
    > bass in the 'phones, too.
    >
    > Steve McQueen, by Sheryl Crow. I LOVE this one! Good mid-run pacing (for
    > me), great song. She's very easy to listen to while running. You're An Original, also by her, same
    > album, is decent, too.
    >
    > Maybe Your Baby, by Stevie Wonder. (This song, by the way, in the top
    three
    > funkiest songs of all time, ever, on any planet). Its slow pace made me think I wouldn't like it
    > for running, but I actually love it. It's just sooooo freakin' from-another-planet funky.
    >
    > Anyway, the list is constantly being revised, and I welcome all

  4. >Running to music is an absolute must -I don't know how anyone could possibly do long runs - 10
    >miles + - without it.

    Not true in everyone's case, and this is easy to explain. You see you must have a brain to think of
    things to think about while you run, whereas idiots need music.

    Bill R.

    =============> - -- - (_!_)
    OO

  5. I always wondered who bought the crappy music that radio stations try to tell us is great. After
    reading your list..........that question has been answered. I can envision Hell having your cd
    collection playing 24 hours a day.

  6. Duns Scotus

    Duns Scotus Guest

    No, it's me learning the bagpipes (aka agony bag).

    I'll have you begging for his CD collection.

    Miss Anne Thrope wrote:
    > ...I can envision Hell having your cd collection playing 24 hours a day.

  7. >I always wondered who bought the crappy music that radio stations try to tell us is great. After
    >reading your list..........that question has been answered. I can envision Hell having your cd
    >collection playing 24 hours a day.

    I gotta agree, that whole list sucked.

    Bill R.

    OO

  8. Bill, Give me back my Barry Manilow box set, you asshole!