plus-sized beginner seeking advice

newtobike

Sep 25, 2006
Hi all,
I am in my early 40s, quite overweight (250+) and out of shape but inspired to take up casual bicycling after 10 years of not riding at all. I started by researching bikes and I think I will get a hybrid (for the comfort factor and because I want to be able to ride on bike paths, the road and dirt roads and paths, and because they should be sturdier). I stopped in a local bike shop and they suggested a Trek 7200 and it seems like the reviews I see online are all pretty positive. I walked into the bike shop and talked about my worries of being so heavy - would a bike crumple under my weight, etc...and he seemed to take my concerns seriously and give me ideas for what things to look out for, etc. Now I've found this forum and I'm reading about the need for special clothing (the sizes of which might be hard for me to find - and sound expensive) and I'm worried again. I used to just ride my 10 speed touring bike with my regular clothes and I was usually sore for a few days afterwards. This time I'm making sure to get a cushy seat - but do I really need special shorts? Padded clothing? I imagine that I might ride an hour or so a day - maybe longer every once in a while - but not racing or commuting or all-day trips. I just want to be able to bike with my dog and my child and get a little exercise. Are there any websites that explain all the details of what I might need to bike happily and free-from-soreness? Are there any other very plus-sized women bike-riders reading this that might have words of advice for me? Do you think a Trek hybrid 7200 is a decent bike for a recreational beginner like me? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer!!

newtobike said:
Hi all,
I am in my early 40s, quite overweight (250+) and out of shape but inspired to take up casual bicycling after 10 years of not riding at all. I started by researching bikes and I think I will get a hybrid (for the comfort factor and because I want to be able to ride on bike paths, the road and dirt roads and paths, and because they should be sturdier). I stopped in a local bike shop and they suggested a Trek 7200 and it seems like the reviews I see online are all pretty positive. I walked into the bike shop and talked about my worries of being so heavy - would a bike crumple under my weight, etc...and he seemed to take my concerns seriously and give me ideas for what things to look out for, etc. Now I've found this forum and I'm reading about the need for special clothing (the sizes of which might be hard for me to find - and sound expensive) and I'm worried again. I used to just ride my 10 speed touring bike with my regular clothes and I was usually sore for a few days afterwards. This time I'm making sure to get a cushy seat - but do I really need special shorts? Padded clothing? I imagine that I might ride an hour or so a day - maybe longer every once in a while - but not racing or commuting or all-day trips. I just want to be able to bike with my dog and my child and get a little exercise. Are there any websites that explain all the details of what I might need to bike happily and free-from-soreness? Are there any other very plus-sized women bike-riders reading this that might have words of advice for me? Do you think a Trek hybrid 7200 is a decent bike for a recreational beginner like me? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer!!
I assure you, you are nowhere near being able to crumple a bike. There is such a thing as fatigue life of various metals, but good ol steel is quite strong and will work well for you or anyone else for that matter. Heck people raced on it for decades and still do.

As for your weight concerns, please take a look at this inspiring triathlete

www.Beginnertraithlete.com

She's 390 lbs of pure determination and heart and just recently completed her first triathlon.

I'm not sure where you'd want to shop, but there is plenty of great apparel that will work. I'd suggest and nice pair of bike shorts and a comfortable jersey or polyester shirt. It'll breath really well and be super comfy on those hot days. If nothing else, get the shorts. You'll thank me later.

Try out various seats at the local bike shops (LBS) and ask if you could ride around. Some may even let you take one or two home to try on your bike.
Good luck!

Here's our site if you want to take a gander. You may see something you like. www.usasportstraining.com

I started cycling at about 200 pounds and I have a Trek 7200. It's still working two years later. My advice is start in the plains. Hills can be really defeating in the beginning.

Heya! good on ya for starting to cycle.

I started on a hybrid bike at 317lb, i got down to 230lb and moved to a race bike.

Ive just recently got a proper decent race bike and im now 207lb - they handle fine.

The difference is mostly in the drag on the road and going up the hills, the wider tyres vs the slimmer ones make about 5-10km per hour difference in speed.
The weight loss makes a HUGE difference in hill climbing - i still struggle up the hills but nowhere near what i was struggling :)

newtobike said:
Hi all,
I have a Trek 7200 and I think its a great bike... if you stick with the stock saddle, I would really recommend you get the lycra padded shorts. I got mine from aerotech designs (www.aerotechdesigns.com). great shorts for plus sized riders...

I eventually put on a "hobson easy seat II" saddle on it and found that I didn't need bike shorts at all for rides that were about 14 miles (about an hour)...

I would recommend against the baggy padded shorts. I got a pair of these and the problem is, that because they are baggy, they can "bunch up" and cause irritation...

I wouldn't panic about the clothes. I don't think you're too worried about your times and competition at your level. I ride my Trek 7200 to work, and usually I wear jeans, sometimes pants. The only caution I would give is that you chould get some poni-tail holders to keep your pants cuff from getting torn up and from interfering. I wouldn't wear a coat that goes far past your waist. If you're comfortable, it shouldn't be a problem. If you're real worried about clothes, go to KMart and buy some spandex workout pants, but if you're anything like me, (I now weigh 190), you probably would prefer not go that way. Same as any kind of advice for any sport, wear what is comfortable and makes you feel good.

carriebfl said:
...and usually I wear jeans, sometimes pants. I wouldn't wear a coat that goes far past your waist. ..."
IMHO (In my humble opinion) jeans are an absolute no-no, because the seams will definitely chafe, denim has no flex or give, and they will be very uncomfortable. If you feel that lycra bike shorts are immodest, go for the padded "liners" which you can wear under baggy cargo shorts. Nobody will know but you. They have a chamois like all proper knicks, which you will find to be extremely comfortable. My supervisor is a slightly overweight lady who tried padded knicks ONCE and hated them. Please don't do what she did- that is, give up without a fair effort. A bit of persistence and you will be amazed how much you will love them....;)
T-Shirt- another no-no. Get a proper Jersey, forget about how tight and body hugging it is, it is very comfortable and don't be prudish or embarrassed, please !!:eek:
If it's expensive to get proper clothing, save money on the BIKE...
Treks are overpriced, and you are only paying for a name, that's all !! you can save hundreds by buying another brand with identical components and quality. Forget about Treks. Or Cannondale. Go for another brand. Giant is very very good value, they make thousands of frames each year. Or Specialized. these two brands are sensational value. Trust me.

Hi NewToBike, I aggree with the others that you should simply keep the stock seat, you are better to spend that money on some good bike shorts if you have having problems with your behind.

What the bike shorts do is move the friction point from being your behind on the seat to the pants on the seat, as the pad in the bike shorts moves with your behind. If you get a better seat and don't get bike shorts, the friction point is still between your behind and the seat.

Enjoy your riding,
Mike.

Good for you. I admire your initiative:)

For now just focus on a good pair of padded shorts. They are tight and accentuate certain areas that don't need it, so you can put a pair of loose fiiting shorts overtop to make you feel less self conscious, if that is an issue for you.

A bit of advice, don't push yourself to hard and take all the fun out of it.

Oh yeah, another thing you can do which helps. Angle the seat downwards a little more. Takes the pain from the 'front' to the back of the butt :D

When you're heavy and female that makes *all* the difference between being able to finish :D

At the risk of confusing you, you could try going without bike pants if you can't find a pair that suit/fit you to start with.

I started biking regularly again about 14 months ago (after a break of about 5 years) and started with buying a decent bike and added on accessories each month depending on what I needed most at the time. The bike pants just never came up there as a priority. Now I regularly go on 2 or 3 hour rides and don't seem to have any trouble (although I do have a great ladies specific gel seat). I know that in the past if I hadn't ridden for awhile my butt would get sore when getting back on the saddle but I just persisted and after a couple of days I got over it.

You might find that you'll lose weight quite quickly once you start riding (I certainly did), so you might find your new bike pants become too lose fairly quickly and that could end up being fairly expensive!

I would just start with some comfy tracksuit pants. Tuck in the bottoms into your socks so they don't catch on the front rings. In general, the baggier your clothing, the more drag there is against the wind (ie parachute effect). I started off wearing baggier clothing, but once you get a bit more confidence, you may want to start wearing a more fitting t-shirt or jersey. What I like about bike specific tops is that they breath really well.

Hope this helps rather than confuses. Just my humble opinion.

JO