pocket pc / bluetooth pgs receiver / memory maps

lloyd

Guest
Does anyone have any experience using a pocket pc with a bluetooth gps
receiver and memory map software for cycletouring or mountainbiking?
I'm particularly interested in just how reliable the setup is. I
already have the pocket ps / gps receiver (tomtom navigator v5) and
am trying to decide whether to buy the memory map software or fork out
for a garmin and the topo maps.

Also, in case I buy the memory map software and it turns out to be a
mistake just how usefull would it be with a garmin? As I understand
it you cant actually load the memory maps onto the garmins, is that
correct?

On Mar 10, 7:20 pm, lloyd <[email protected]> wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience using a pocket pc with a bluetooth gps
> receiver and memory map software for cycletouring or mountainbiking?
> I'm particularly interested in just how reliable the setup is. I
> already have the pocket ps / gps receiver (tomtom navigator v5) and
> am trying to decide whether to buy the memory map software or fork out
> for a garmin and the topo maps.
>
> Also, in case I buy the memory map software and it turns out to be a
> mistake just how usefull would it be with a garmin? As I understand
> it you cant actually load the memory maps onto the garmins, is that
> correct?

If you're happy with the phone/gps combo and it works for TomTom then
I can vouch for MemoryMap v5 software, the interface when installed
onto the Pocket device (with a touch-screen - don't know about
without) is quite good, certainly good enough to work out where you
currently are and where your headed to. An alternative is Anquet maps
- a smidge cheaper but totally un-usable thanks to a rubbish, rushed
and unworkable interface and general lazy ill thought out programming.

I maybe out of date here, but I thought that the Garmin couldn't
display OS maps yet, at least not memory map ones. Advantages of a
Garmin device would be waterproofness and battery life. But you can
counteract these for your PocketPC with an aqua-pack and pedal-power
dyno (haven't tried the dyno yet, apparently you may be better of
replacing the dyno for a better one, or if you're electronically able
- supply your own power gizmos between the dyno and the phone) - but
it should work...

HTH,

Duncan

Duncan Smith wrote:
> On Mar 10, 7:20 pm, lloyd <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Does anyone have any experience using a pocket pc with a bluetooth gps
>> receiver and memory map software for cycletouring or mountainbiking?
>> I'm particularly interested in just how reliable the setup is. I
>> already have the pocket ps / gps receiver (tomtom navigator v5) and
>> am trying to decide whether to buy the memory map software or fork out
>> for a garmin and the topo maps.

My Garmin does not have a huge amount of memory, and I can only load a
small amount of map into the unit at one time.

>> Also, in case I buy the memory map software and it turns out to be a
>> mistake just how usefull would it be with a garmin? As I understand
>> it you cant actually load the memory maps onto the garmins, is that
>> correct?

> If you're happy with the phone/gps combo and it works for TomTom then
> I can vouch for MemoryMap v5 software, the interface when installed
> onto the Pocket device (with a touch-screen - don't know about
> without) is quite good, certainly good enough to work out where you
> currently are and where your headed to. An alternative is Anquet maps
> - a smidge cheaper but totally un-usable thanks to a rubbish, rushed
> and unworkable interface and general lazy ill thought out programming.
>
> I maybe out of date here, but I thought that the Garmin couldn't
> display OS maps yet, at least not memory map ones.

I own a Garmin, and it claims that the only maps you can use are
proprietary Garmin maps. There are a few free maps around that can also
be used, but nothing like memory maps.

> Advantages of a
> Garmin device would be waterproofness and battery life.

Batteries last about 17 hours for my unit (is the claim which sounds
about right). Of course it does not help when I leave it turned on in a
pocket or rucksack.

"lloyd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone have any experience using a pocket pc with a bluetooth gps
> receiver and memory map software for cycletouring or mountainbiking?

A little - more for walking though.

> I'm particularly interested in just how reliable the setup is. I
> already have the pocket ps / gps receiver (tomtom navigator v5) and

I have a pocket pc and a Orange SPV and both these work with a bluetooth
reciever. The reciever has a 20 odd hour battery but the phone and ppc will
both run for only a few hours - but I am looking at wiring up to a dynamo
through some electronics and a longer lasting li-ion battery and
charging/powering as I go. Also remember that none of this setup is
waterproof so you will need an Otterbox or similar which are not cheap and
neither are the bike mounting brackets.

> am trying to decide whether to buy the memory map software

There is no problem with that - it works fine.

or fork out
> for a garmin and the topo maps.

I beleive that these are not as detailed as OS maps and whilst you can use
the tracklog on MemoryMap from the garmin to a PC or vice versa you cannot
use the MMap software on a Garmin.

> Also, in case I buy the memory map software and it turns out to be a
> mistake just how usefull would it be with a garmin?

As above - you can use it in conjunction with and using a PC but not
directly on the Garmin.

As I understand
> it you cant actually load the memory maps onto the garmins, is that
> correct?

Yes that is correct.

Dave

On Mar 11, 9:39 am, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "lloyd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Does anyone have any experience using a pocket pc with a bluetooth gps
> > receiver and memory map software for cycletouring or mountainbiking?

> A little - more for walking though.
>
> > I'm particularly interested in just how reliable the setup is. I
> > already have the pocket ps / gps receiver (tomtom navigator v5) and

> I have a pocket pc and a Orange SPV and both these work with a bluetooth
> reciever. The reciever has a 20 odd hour battery but the phone and ppc will
> both run for only a few hours - but I am looking at wiring up to a dynamo
> through some electronics and a longer lasting li-ion battery and
> charging/powering as I go. Also remember that none of this setup is
> waterproof so you will need an Otterbox or similar which are not cheap and
> neither are the bike mounting brackets.
>
> > am trying to decide whether to buy the memory map software

> There is no problem with that - it works fine.
>
> or fork out
>
> > for a garmin and the topo maps.

> I beleive that these are not as detailed as OS maps and whilst you can use
> the tracklog on MemoryMap from the garmin to a PC or vice versa you cannot
> use the MMap software on a Garmin.
>
> > Also, in case I buy the memory map software and it turns out to be a
> > mistake just how usefull would it be with a garmin?

> As above - you can use it in conjunction with and using a PC but not
> directly on the Garmin.
>
> As I understand
>
> > it you cant actually load the memory maps onto the garmins, is that
> > correct?

> Yes that is correct.
>
> Dave

Thanks everyone for the feedback - been alot of help. Sounds like the
pocket pc approach is worth a try. As for mounting I'm going to order
one of these

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360022365

Its supposed to be used with a bar bag but I'm going to see if i can
work out some way to attach it with out.

Thanks again
Lloyd