Poetry Contest Results

John Morgan

Guest
Thank you all for your entries. It wasn't as large of a turnout as I expected, but that just means
people weren't ready or willing to write poetry. For all of you who didn't submit anything, I hope
you start working on something for the next contest...

The poems were judged by Slacker and I in six categories: Creativity, Cohesiveness, Impact,
Craftsmanship, Voice, and Form. Each poem was awarded up to 10 points in each category, for a total
of 60 points per judge... making the total score out of 120 points.

I noticed that in general, the shorter poems such as haiku and limerick were awarded higher points
in the Form category (assuming they held true to the proper form), but often lost points in the
Cohesiveness or Impact category. The longer poems excelled in the Creativity, Cohesiveness, and
Impact categories, but often lost points for using weak Form.

Now... on to the results...

Third runner up is....

*spademan* SCORE: 82

Second runner up is...

**Chris Glidden** SCORE: 83

And the first place prize winner is...

***ckretsorse*** SCORE: 92

Congratulations!

Thanks again to all of those who submitted entries, and thanks to Slacker for helping me judge
the poems.

-John Morgan
p.s. I submitted a poem, but since I wasn't competing for the prize, I left myself out of
the ranking.
--
"I tried lube, careful prying, careful digging and even not so careful digging. Little chunks of
rubber." --Sad Bob

John Morgan scrawled in bright red lipstick:
> Thank you all for your entries. It wasn't as large of a turnout as I expected, but that just means
> people weren't ready or willing to write poetry. For all of you who didn't submit anything, I hope
> you start working on something for the next contest...
>
> The poems were judged by Slacker and I in six categories: Creativity, Cohesiveness, Impact,
> Craftsmanship, Voice, and Form. Each poem was awarded up to 10 points in each category, for a
> total of 60 points per judge... making the total score out of 120 points.
>
> I noticed that in general, the shorter poems such as haiku and limerick were awarded higher points
> in the Form category (assuming they held true to the proper form), but often lost points in the
> Cohesiveness or Impact category. The longer poems excelled in the Creativity, Cohesiveness, and
> Impact categories, but often lost points for using weak Form.
>
> Now... on to the results...
>
> Third runner up is....
>
> *spademan* SCORE: 82
>
> Second runner up is...
>
> **Chris Glidden** SCORE: 83
>
> And the first place prize winner is...
>
> ***ckretsorse*** SCORE: 92
>
> Congratulations!
>
> Thanks again to all of those who submitted entries, and thanks to Slacker for helping me judge
> the poems.
>
> -John Morgan
> p.s. I submitted a poem, but since I wasn't competing for the prize, I left myself out of the
> ranking.

dang it. I knew I should have submitted the Ode to Travis....

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> John Morgan scrawled in bright red lipstick:
> > Thank you all for your entries. It wasn't as large of a turnout as I expected, but that just
> > means people weren't ready or willing to write poetry. For all of you who didn't submit
> > anything, I hope you start working on something for the next contest... {snippage}

> dang it. I knew I should have submitted the Ode to Travis....

Penny and I was robbed.

Bill "there once was a rascal named Morgan..." S.

> > dang it. I knew I should have submitted the Ode to Travis....
>
> Penny and I was robbed.
>
> Bill "there once was a rascal named Morgan..." S.

LOL, I only claim half the responsibility for you not placing in the contest... and that's being
mighty generous of me, considering you wrote the poems. =P

-John Morgan
--

"John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:_b_cb.22376$vj2.14195@fed1read06...
> Thank you all for your entries. It wasn't as large of a turnout as I expected, but that just means
> people weren't ready or willing to write poetry. For all of you who didn't submit anything, I hope
> you start
working
> on something for the next contest...
>
> The poems were judged by Slacker and I in six categories: Creativity, Cohesiveness, Impact,
> Craftsmanship, Voice, and Form. Each poem was
awarded
> up to 10 points in each category, for a total of 60 points per judge... making the total score out
> of 120 points.
>
> I noticed that in general, the shorter poems such as haiku and limerick
were
> awarded higher points in the Form category (assuming they held true to the proper form), but often
> lost points in the Cohesiveness or Impact
category.
> The longer poems excelled in the Creativity, Cohesiveness, and Impact categories, but often lost
> points for using weak Form.
>
> Now... on to the results...
>
> Third runner up is....
>
> *spademan* SCORE: 82

Woohoo third! Thanks for making the effort guys.

Steve.