Pointer on lower back pain

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mike Elliott, Feb 1, 2003.

  1. Mike Elliott

    Mike Elliott Guest

    New bike, new setup, lower back pain.

    Typical solutions? Point me to a FAQ.

    MikeE

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Mike Elliott
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >New bike, new setup, lower back pain.
    >
    >Typical solutions? Point me to a FAQ.

    Quickest way out is to analyze the difference between new bike and old bike with a measuring tape
    and use that information to correct the fit. Still got the old one? Always best to write that stuff
    down before you get rid of it.

  3. Everybody's different, so tough to do a true FAQ on fit. Have you had somebody observe you while
    riding? How did you go about getting fit on the new bike? Did the person fitting you pay attention
    to how you ride, or just have a magical set of numbers that ought to work for anybody?

    Do you still have the old bike, so you can compare the changes? Specifically, I'd look at the
    following-

    How far behind the crank is the saddle? What is the distance from saddle to handlebar? How much drop
    from the saddle to handlebar? If you get those things dialed in the same, you've pretty much covered
    the basis for setup-oriented changes that might cause back problems.

    One more thing to look at- make sure your seat is level. A nose-down saddle, sometimes even slightly
    so, can cause major back grief (although more commonly issues in the neck & shoulders) because
    you're actually spending the entire time on the bike pushing back from the bars in order to maintain
    your position on the bike.

    Another thing to consider- are you riding different terrain now than before, or perhaps with
    different people? If you're suddenly doing a lot more climbing, and remain in a seated position the
    whole time, that can cause back issues. Good idea to force yourself to stand up every couple minutes
    or so, *before* you feel any issues. Once you begin to feel back pain, it's much more difficult to
    get rid of it than it is to prevent it in the first place.

    "Mike Elliott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > New bike, new setup, lower back pain.
    >
    > Typical solutions? Point me to a FAQ.
    >
    > MikeE

  4. Frank Knox

    Frank Knox Guest

    "Mike Elliott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > New bike, new setup, lower back pain.
    >
    > Typical solutions? Point me to a FAQ.
    >
    > MikeE

    There are a variety of possible causes. I replaced a bike that was comfortable to me for many years
    with a custom bike because of lower back pain. My lower back problems have most to do with my tight
    hamstrings. Simple stretching exercises before and during a ride help me considerably.

    This link might help you: http://www.geocities.com/raschultz_2000/

  5. Mike Elliott

    Mike Elliott Guest

    In article <sle%[email protected]>, mikej1 @ix.netcom.com writes
    compellingly...
    > Everybody's different, so tough to do a true FAQ on fit. Have you had somebody observe you while
    > riding? How did you go about getting fit on the new bike? Did the person fitting you pay attention
    > to how you ride, or just have a magical set of numbers that ought to work for anybody?
    >
    > Do you still have the old bike, so you can compare the changes? Specifically, I'd look at the
    > following-
    >
    > How far behind the crank is the saddle? What is the distance from saddle to handlebar? How much
    > drop from the saddle to handlebar? If you get those things dialed in the same, you've pretty much
    > covered the basis for setup-oriented changes that might cause back problems.
    >
    > One more thing to look at- make sure your seat is level. A nose-down saddle, sometimes even
    > slightly so, can cause major back grief (although more commonly issues in the neck & shoulders)
    > because you're actually spending the entire time on the bike pushing back from the bars in order
    > to maintain your position on the bike.
    >
    > Another thing to consider- are you riding different terrain now than before, or perhaps with
    > different people? If you're suddenly doing a lot more climbing, and remain in a seated position
    > the whole time, that can cause back issues. Good idea to force yourself to stand up every couple
    > minutes or so, *before* you feel any issues. Once you begin to feel back pain, it's much more
    > difficult to get rid of it than it is to prevent it in the first place.

    Hi Mike,

    The earlier posting, and your's, too, both suggested that I measure my old bike to see how to set
    this one up.

    To which I respond, "Oh yeah. Duh."

    Thanks.

    MikeE

  6. Mike Elliott

    Mike Elliott Guest

    In article <T0g%[email protected]>, [email protected]
    writes compellingly...

    > "Mike Elliott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > New bike, new setup, lower back pain.
    > >
    > > Typical solutions? Point me to a FAQ.
    > >
    > > MikeE
    > >
    > There are a variety of possible causes. I replaced a bike that was comfortable to me for many
    > years with a custom bike because of lower back pain. My lower back problems have most to do with
    > my tight hamstrings. Simple stretching exercises before and during a ride help me considerably.
    >
    > This link might help you: http://www.geocities.com/raschultz_2000/

    Good stuff - thanks!

    MikeE

  7. Adelantado

    Adelantado Guest

    If the bike fits, then ride the bike. The "gosh I'm using my muscle" pain will go away with time
    and riding.