Pointer on lower back pain

Mike Elliott

Guest
New bike, new setup, lower back pain.

Typical solutions? Point me to a FAQ.

MikeE

In article <[email protected]>, Mike Elliott
<[email protected]> wrote:
>New bike, new setup, lower back pain.
>
>Typical solutions? Point me to a FAQ.

Quickest way out is to analyze the difference between new bike and old bike with a measuring tape
and use that information to correct the fit. Still got the old one? Always best to write that stuff
down before you get rid of it.

Everybody's different, so tough to do a true FAQ on fit. Have you had somebody observe you while
riding? How did you go about getting fit on the new bike? Did the person fitting you pay attention
to how you ride, or just have a magical set of numbers that ought to work for anybody?

Do you still have the old bike, so you can compare the changes? Specifically, I'd look at the
following-

How far behind the crank is the saddle? What is the distance from saddle to handlebar? How much drop
from the saddle to handlebar? If you get those things dialed in the same, you've pretty much covered
the basis for setup-oriented changes that might cause back problems.

One more thing to look at- make sure your seat is level. A nose-down saddle, sometimes even slightly
so, can cause major back grief (although more commonly issues in the neck & shoulders) because
you're actually spending the entire time on the bike pushing back from the bars in order to maintain
your position on the bike.

Another thing to consider- are you riding different terrain now than before, or perhaps with
different people? If you're suddenly doing a lot more climbing, and remain in a seated position the
whole time, that can cause back issues. Good idea to force yourself to stand up every couple minutes
or so, *before* you feel any issues. Once you begin to feel back pain, it's much more difficult to
get rid of it than it is to prevent it in the first place.

"Mike Elliott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> New bike, new setup, lower back pain.
>
> Typical solutions? Point me to a FAQ.
>
> MikeE

"Mike Elliott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> New bike, new setup, lower back pain.
>
> Typical solutions? Point me to a FAQ.
>
> MikeE

There are a variety of possible causes. I replaced a bike that was comfortable to me for many years
with a custom bike because of lower back pain. My lower back problems have most to do with my tight
hamstrings. Simple stretching exercises before and during a ride help me considerably.

This link might help you: http://www.geocities.com/raschultz_2000/

In article <sle%[email protected]>, mikej1 @ix.netcom.com writes
compellingly...
> Everybody's different, so tough to do a true FAQ on fit. Have you had somebody observe you while
> riding? How did you go about getting fit on the new bike? Did the person fitting you pay attention
> to how you ride, or just have a magical set of numbers that ought to work for anybody?
>
> Do you still have the old bike, so you can compare the changes? Specifically, I'd look at the
> following-
>
> How far behind the crank is the saddle? What is the distance from saddle to handlebar? How much
> drop from the saddle to handlebar? If you get those things dialed in the same, you've pretty much
> covered the basis for setup-oriented changes that might cause back problems.
>
> One more thing to look at- make sure your seat is level. A nose-down saddle, sometimes even
> slightly so, can cause major back grief (although more commonly issues in the neck & shoulders)
> because you're actually spending the entire time on the bike pushing back from the bars in order
> to maintain your position on the bike.
>
> Another thing to consider- are you riding different terrain now than before, or perhaps with
> different people? If you're suddenly doing a lot more climbing, and remain in a seated position
> the whole time, that can cause back issues. Good idea to force yourself to stand up every couple
> minutes or so, *before* you feel any issues. Once you begin to feel back pain, it's much more
> difficult to get rid of it than it is to prevent it in the first place.

Hi Mike,

The earlier posting, and your's, too, both suggested that I measure my old bike to see how to set
this one up.

To which I respond, "Oh yeah. Duh."

Thanks.

MikeE

In article <T0g%[email protected]>, [email protected]
writes compellingly...

> "Mike Elliott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > New bike, new setup, lower back pain.
> >
> > Typical solutions? Point me to a FAQ.
> >
> > MikeE
> >
> There are a variety of possible causes. I replaced a bike that was comfortable to me for many
> years with a custom bike because of lower back pain. My lower back problems have most to do with
> my tight hamstrings. Simple stretching exercises before and during a ride help me considerably.
>
> This link might help you: http://www.geocities.com/raschultz_2000/

Good stuff - thanks!

MikeE

If the bike fits, then ride the bike. The "gosh I'm using my muscle" pain will go away with time
and riding.