Points, please?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Fred, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. Yep. See separate post for details.

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 17:09:23 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I notice the past-tense "was purchased" (G)
    >
    >Congratulations. I see a wide variety of colors on various web pages. My bianchi is their 'famous'
    >celeste green - celedon almost.
    >
    >Most delicious apples are almost tasteless pulp.
    >
    >On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 17:23:18 -0600, Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I share your opinion of the not-very-delicious Delicious apple. In my opinion, the same psychology
    >>was used in naming this apple as was used in naming Greenland and Iceland. They're the opposite of
    >>what their names imply.
    >>
    >>My bike was purchased at a small, family owned bike shop. Dad owns the store, his young teenage
    >>son sold me the bike and accessories. I'd have gone to a chain if necessary, but so much more
    >>satisfactory transacting with a small business.
    >>
    >>On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 14:28:28 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Very good - PRO/CON. Very imaginative.
    >>>
    >>>Frankly, there are no Washington DELICIOUS apples (boy, am I risking being sued). I have never
    >>>been fond of that particular variety. No, hedges, altho, I do have apple, cherry and plum trees
    >>>in the rear yard.
    >>>
    >>>Enjoy the bike. I have not been to any shops in years where they discount for checks or inflate
    >>>for credit cards. I use to like that practice.

    >>Prairie Roots
    >>232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

    Prairie Roots
    232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  2. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    Eh. You can call me 'ol Joyce - is about how I feel these days. Tomorrow I'll feel younger. Grandson
    is coming to have breakfast and play with me. <G>

    Joyce

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 20:07:00 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Well, I DID want to know until I KNEW! (G)
    >
    >Yup, I was hoping Joyce and ol' MasterCook would come through. (I almost said ol' Joyce and Master
    >Cook!!!!)
    >
    >I did not determine serving size - it bakes in a 9" springform pan but the recipe does not provide
    >serving info. ONE sounds good! (G)
    >
    >THANKS.
    >
    >On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 21:53:25 -0600, Joyce <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Do you REALLY want to know? You didn't specify how many servings ... this is what mastercook spit
    >>out at me for the entire recipe (1 serving - just in case you feel like eating all yourself):
    >>
    >>3031 calories/ 239 g fat / 23 g fiber = 75.94 US points
    >>
    >>Yikes, 239 grams of fat seems outrageous to me! If you cut it into 16 servings, then it comes out
    >>to 189cal/15fat/1fiber = 4.83 US points. Does that sound better?
    >>
    >>Joyce
    >>
    >>On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:44:35 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hey, lady, I want facts, not editorial comments! (G)
    >>>
    >>>Chopping the chocolate uses some activity points, no? I tend to beat my egg whites by hand, also.

  3. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    Which is still probably more than any of us would feel good about eating.

    Joyce

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 13:14:55 GMT, "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Just off the top of my head, the size of a 1/16th serving of this bomb has to be about the size of
    >a small egg.
    >
    >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Do you REALLY want to know? You didn't specify how many servings ... this
    >is what
    >> mastercook spit out at me for the entire recipe (1 serving - just in case
    >you feel
    >> like eating all yourself):
    >>
    >> 3031 calories/ 239 g fat / 23 g fiber = 75.94 US points
    >>
    >> Yikes, 239 grams of fat seems outrageous to me! If you cut it into 16
    >servings,
    >> then it comes out to 189cal/15fat/1fiber = 4.83 US points. Does that
    >sound
    >> better?
    >>
    >> Joyce
    >>
    >> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:44:35 -0800, Fred <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hey, lady, I want facts, not editorial comments! (G)
    >> >
    >> >Chopping the chocolate uses some activity points, no? I tend to beat my egg whites by
    >> >hand, also.

  4. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Have a good day, young GRANDMA

    On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 01:34:51 -0600, Joyce <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Eh. You can call me 'ol Joyce - is about how I feel these days. Tomorrow I'll feel younger.
    >Grandson is coming to have breakfast and play with me. <G>
    >
    >Joyce
    >
    >On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 20:07:00 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Well, I DID want to know until I KNEW! (G)
    >>
    >>Yup, I was hoping Joyce and ol' MasterCook would come through. (I almost said ol' Joyce and Master
    >>Cook!!!!)
    >>
    >>I did not determine serving size - it bakes in a 9" springform pan but the recipe does not provide
    >>serving info. ONE sounds good! (G)
    >>
    >>THANKS.
    >>
    >>On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 21:53:25 -0600, Joyce <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Do you REALLY want to know? You didn't specify how many servings ... this is what mastercook spit
    >>>out at me for the entire recipe (1 serving - just in case you feel like eating all yourself):
    >>>
    >>>3031 calories/ 239 g fat / 23 g fiber = 75.94 US points
    >>>
    >>>Yikes, 239 grams of fat seems outrageous to me! If you cut it into 16 servings, then it comes out
    >>>to 189cal/15fat/1fiber = 4.83 US points. Does that sound better?
    >>>
    >>>Joyce

  5. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    Why thank ya sir! It was a grand day. Riley arrived at 8:30, ran right upstairs to wake BoomBoom
    (sonny boy) up. Came downstairs for breakfast - had nutrigrain waffles and juicy oranges and orange
    juice, along with his uncle. I opted for an english muffin and some fruit (and m' coffee). We played
    cars, ball, colored, drew, counted, rolled around, hid from me underneath the blankets, and
    everything else little boys love to do. The problem always comes when it's time to go home. I guess
    we make it too much fun for him. <G> Costco after that (and bank, had to get the money in to pay
    those dang bills), then home to fix din-din. Even squeezed a much needed nap in - guess that was
    when hub decided to finish putting his bike together.

    Heaven knows what tomorrow will bring.

    Joyce

    On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 06:58:18 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Have a good day, young GRANDMA
    >
    >On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 01:34:51 -0600, Joyce <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Eh. You can call me 'ol Joyce - is about how I feel these days. Tomorrow I'll feel younger.
    >>Grandson is coming to have breakfast and play with me. <G>
    >>
    >>Joyce
    >>
    >>On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 20:07:00 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Well, I DID want to know until I KNEW! (G)
    >>>
    >>>Yup, I was hoping Joyce and ol' MasterCook would come through. (I almost said ol' Joyce and
    >>>Master Cook!!!!)
    >>>
    >>>I did not determine serving size - it bakes in a 9" springform pan but the recipe does not
    >>>provide serving info. ONE sounds good! (G)
    >>>
    >>>THANKS.

  6. Fred

    Fred Guest

    How old is Riley? Sounds like a blast.

    On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 01:53:02 -0600, Joyce <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Why thank ya sir! It was a grand day. Riley arrived at 8:30, ran right upstairs to wake BoomBoom
    >(sonny boy) up. Came downstairs for breakfast - had nutrigrain waffles and juicy oranges and orange
    >juice, along with his uncle. I opted for an english muffin and some fruit (and m' coffee). We
    >played cars, ball, colored, drew, counted, rolled around, hid from me underneath the blankets, and
    >everything else little boys love to do. The problem always comes when it's time to go home. I guess
    >we make it too much fun for him. <G> Costco after that (and bank, had to get the money in to pay
    >those dang bills), then home to fix din-din. Even squeezed a much needed nap in - guess that was
    >when hub decided to finish putting his bike together.
    >
    >Heaven knows what tomorrow will bring.
    >
    >Joyce
    >
    >On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 06:58:18 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Have a good day, young GRANDMA
    >>
    >>On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 01:34:51 -0600, Joyce <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Eh. You can call me 'ol Joyce - is about how I feel these days. Tomorrow I'll feel younger.
    >>>Grandson is coming to have breakfast and play with me. <G>
    >>>
    >>>Joyce

  7. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    He just turned 3 last week, and he is a hoot. Quite the little character and loads of personality
    (as well as energy). I think right now he loves visiting us as he can be king tut around here, is
    the center of attention. At home, he now has to share time with baby sister which he is finding he
    doesn't like too well.
    <G> I think the boy is keeping us young.

    Joyce

    On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 08:36:23 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:

    >How old is Riley? Sounds like a blast.
    >
    >On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 01:53:02 -0600, Joyce <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Why thank ya sir! It was a grand day. Riley arrived at 8:30, ran right upstairs to wake BoomBoom
    >>(sonny boy) up. Came downstairs for breakfast - had nutrigrain waffles and juicy oranges and
    >>orange juice, along with his uncle. I opted for an english muffin and some fruit (and m' coffee).
    >>We played cars, ball, colored, drew, counted, rolled around, hid from me underneath the blankets,
    >>and everything else little boys love to do. The problem always comes when it's time to go home. I
    >>guess we make it too much fun for him. <G> Costco after that (and bank, had to get the money in to
    >>pay those dang bills), then home to fix din-din. Even squeezed a much needed nap in - guess that
    >>was when hub decided to finish putting his bike together.
    >>
    >>Heaven knows what tomorrow will bring.
    >>
    >>Joyce
    >>
    >>On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 06:58:18 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Have a good day, young GRANDMA

  8. Nicholas turns 3 next week, on the 9th. He's pretty much king tut around here too as he has no
    brother or sister to deal with. My 84 year old grandma still sits him a few hours a day before I get
    home from work. She says he keeps her young as well. She's a retired school teacher, kindergarten
    and grade 4. Anyway now that she's spending time with Nicholas she's got him counting to 28! The
    little bum can pick up a calendar and count like mad! I asked him what he wants on his birthday cake
    and he says "numbers and candles". Too funny.

    Brenda

    "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > He just turned 3 last week, and he is a hoot. Quite the little character
    and
    > loads of personality (as well as energy). I think right now he loves
    visiting us
    > as he can be king tut around here, is the center of attention. At home,
    he now
    > has to share time with baby sister which he is finding he doesn't like too
    well.
    > <G> I think the boy is keeping us young.
    >
    > Joyce
    >
    > On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 08:36:23 -0800, Fred <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > >How old is Riley? Sounds like a blast.
    > >
    > >On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 01:53:02 -0600, Joyce <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Why thank ya sir! It was a grand day. Riley arrived at 8:30, ran right
    upstairs
    > >>to wake BoomBoom (sonny boy) up. Came downstairs for breakfast - had
    nutrigrain
    > >>waffles and juicy oranges and orange juice, along with his uncle. I
    opted for an
    > >>english muffin and some fruit (and m' coffee). We played cars, ball,
    colored,
    > >>drew, counted, rolled around, hid from me underneath the blankets, and
    everything
    > >>else little boys love to do. The problem always comes when it's time to
    go home.
    > >>I guess we make it too much fun for him. <G> Costco after that (and
    bank, had to
    > >>get the money in to pay those dang bills), then home to fix din-din.
    Even
    > >>squeezed a much needed nap in - guess that was when hub decided to
    finish putting
    > >>his bike together.
    > >>
    > >>Heaven knows what tomorrow will bring.
    > >>
    > >>Joyce

    Tomorrow I'll
    <G>

  9. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    It's amazing how sharp those first children are ... probably from having our undivided attention.
    Then my second came along, she learned quickly how to keep herself occupied as mom was swamped with
    3 kids. LOL I remember her asking me to read her a book and my telling her to just take the book and
    read it to herself, she could do it. She had just turned 4 at the time. I was a bad, bad mom. <G>
    Well I'll be danged if that kid didn't teach herself how to read in a few short months! She would
    read street signs as we were driving down the road, surprised the heck out of me.

    Riley isn't counting to 28 yet, can easily get to 10 and sometimes a bit further. He does recognize
    all the letters of the alphabet and his mom is working on him being able to recite them without
    seeing them (the old alphabet song?). His speech was pretty far behind normal and daughter was very
    worried about that. I try to tell her that all kids develop differently, she won't accept it. She
    also forgets that Riley was a full month premature and spent close to 2 weeks in neonatal intensive
    care, so development lags can be very normal. I think he's doing great, he's a normal, healthy,
    happy go lucky, active little boy ... what more can you ask for? Now if only she would put some
    effort into potty training. <sigh>

    Joyce

    On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 07:41:03 -0800, "Brenda Hammond" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Nicholas turns 3 next week, on the 9th. He's pretty much king tut around here too as he has no
    >brother or sister to deal with. My 84 year old grandma still sits him a few hours a day before I
    >get home from work. She says he keeps her young as well. She's a retired school teacher,
    >kindergarten and grade 4. Anyway now that she's spending time with Nicholas she's got him counting
    >to 28! The little bum can pick up a calendar and count like mad! I asked him what he wants on his
    >birthday cake and he says "numbers and candles". Too funny.
    >
    >Brenda
    >
    >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> He just turned 3 last week, and he is a hoot. Quite the little character
    >and
    >> loads of personality (as well as energy). I think right now he loves
    >visiting us
    >> as he can be king tut around here, is the center of attention. At home,
    >he now
    >> has to share time with baby sister which he is finding he doesn't like too
    >well.
    >> <G> I think the boy is keeping us young.
    >>
    >> Joyce
    >>
    >> On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 08:36:23 -0800, Fred <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >>
    >> >How old is Riley? Sounds like a blast.

    >upstairs
    >nutrigrain
    >opted for an
    >colored,
    >everything
    >go home.
    >bank, had to
    >Even
    >finish putting

    >Tomorrow I'll
    ><G>

    >but

    >... this is what
    >case you feel

    >16 servings,
    >that sound

    >beat

  10. "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It's amazing how sharp those first children are ... probably from having
    our
    > undivided attention. Then my second came along, she learned quickly how
    to keep
    > herself occupied as mom was swamped with 3 kids. LOL I remember her
    asking me to
    > read her a book and my telling her to just take the book and read it to
    herself,
    > she could do it. She had just turned 4 at the time. I was a bad, bad
    mom. <G>
    > Well I'll be danged if that kid didn't teach herself how to read in a few
    short
    > months! She would read street signs as we were driving down the road,
    surprised
    > the heck out of me.

    Nicholas reads the speed limit signs. Keeps him occupied on the long ride to my parents house.

    > Riley isn't counting to 28 yet, can easily get to 10 and sometimes a bit
    further.
    > He does recognize all the letters of the alphabet and his mom is working
    on him
    > being able to recite them without seeing them (the old alphabet song?).
    His
    > speech was pretty far behind normal and daughter was very worried about
    that. I
    > try to tell her that all kids develop differently, she won't accept it.

    Nicholas didn't really say much until last December. He goes to a play group on Thursdays and they
    learn signing there, so he used signing more than anything else, then between Chritmas and New Years
    his speech just took off, now he never signs. Riley will begin to talk soon. Being premature
    probably added to the setback and boys are normally later beginning to talk than girls.

    She also
    > forgets that Riley was a full month premature and spent close to 2 weeks
    in
    > neonatal intensive care, so development lags can be very normal. I think
    he's
    > doing great, he's a normal, healthy, happy go lucky, active little boy ...
    what
    > more can you ask for? Now if only she would put some effort into potty
    training.
    > <sigh>

    Potty training went well for us after about the first week. When we first tried putting him into
    underwear he screamed and said they were "yucky". I asked him if he wanted to wear diapers his whole
    life and he said "yes". Like I say that difficult time only lasted about a week, now he's pretty
    much trained. Only had a few wetting accidents and still has the odd accident and messes himself,
    but that doesn't happen often. I think I started training in November and things were more or less
    sorted out within 2-3 weeks.

    > Joyce
    >
    > On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 07:41:03 -0800, "Brenda Hammond" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Nicholas turns 3 next week, on the 9th. He's pretty much king tut around here too as he has no
    > >brother or sister to deal with. My 84 year old grandma still sits him a few hours a day before I
    > >get home from work.
    She
    > >says he keeps her young as well. She's a retired school teacher, kindergarten and grade 4. Anyway
    > >now that she's spending time with
    Nicholas
    > >she's got him counting to 28! The little bum can pick up a calendar and count like mad! I asked
    > >him what he wants on his birthday cake and he
    says
    > >"numbers and candles". Too funny.
    > >
    > >Brenda
    > >
    > >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >> He just turned 3 last week, and he is a hoot. Quite the little
    character
    > >and
    > >> loads of personality (as well as energy). I think right now he loves
    > >visiting us
    > >> as he can be king tut around here, is the center of attention. At
    home,
    > >he now
    > >> has to share time with baby sister which he is finding he doesn't like
    too
    > >well.
    > >> <G> I think the boy is keeping us young.
    > >>
    > >> Joyce

    > >upstairs
    > >nutrigrain
    > >opted for an
    > >colored,
    > >everything
    > >go home.
    > >bank, had to
    > >Even
    > >finish putting

    > >Tomorrow I'll
    > ><G>

    <[email protected]>

    > >but

    > >... this is what
    > >case you feel

    > >16 servings,
    > >that sound

    <[email protected]>

    > >beat

    <[email protected]>

  11. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 08:10:51 -0800, "Brenda Hammond"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> It's amazing how sharp those first children are ...
    >> probably from having
    >our
    >> undivided attention. Then my second came along, she
    >> learned quickly how
    >to keep
    >> herself occupied as mom was swamped with 3 kids. LOL I
    >> remember her
    >asking me to
    >> read her a book and my telling her to just take the book
    >> and read it to
    >herself,
    >> she could do it. She had just turned 4 at the time. I was
    >> a bad, bad
    >mom. <G>
    >> Well I'll be danged if that kid didn't teach herself how
    >> to read in a few
    >short
    >> months! She would read street signs as we were driving
    >> down the road,
    >surprised
    >> the heck out of me.
    >
    >Nicholas reads the speed limit signs. Keeps him occupied on
    >the long ride to my parents house.

    Isn't it funny what will keep a child occupied? Then you
    get to our age and forget to look for those speed limit
    signs. <G>

    >> Riley isn't counting to 28 yet, can easily get to 10 and
    >> sometimes a bit
    >further.
    >> He does recognize all the letters of the alphabet and his
    >> mom is working
    >on him
    >> being able to recite them without seeing them (the old
    >> alphabet song?).
    >His
    >> speech was pretty far behind normal and daughter was very
    >> worried about
    >that. I
    >> try to tell her that all kids develop differently, she
    >> won't accept it.
    >
    >Nicholas didn't really say much until last December. He
    >goes to a play group on Thursdays and they learn signing
    >there, so he used signing more than anything else, then
    >between Chritmas and New Years his speech just took off,
    >now he never signs. Riley will begin to talk soon. Being
    >premature probably added to the setback and boys are
    >normally later beginning to talk than girls.

    He started talking around 2 years old, has become much more
    verbal now. I think my daughter has more issues with how he
    pronounces things, sometimes slurs the words - he's just in
    too much of a hurry. Learning signing at the early age
    really is a neat idea. I have felt that signing should be
    offered in schools, as another language choice (such as
    spanish, french). This is something I think everyone could
    use ... but no one seems to listen to me. <G>

    >She also
    >> forgets that Riley was a full month premature and spent
    >> close to 2 weeks
    >in
    >> neonatal intensive care, so development lags can be very
    >> normal. I think
    >he's
    >> doing great, he's a normal, healthy, happy go lucky,
    >> active little boy ...
    >what
    >> more can you ask for? Now if only she would put some
    >> effort into potty
    >training.
    >> <sigh>
    >
    >Potty training went well for us after about the first
    >week. When we first tried putting him into underwear he
    >screamed and said they were "yucky". I asked him if he
    >wanted to wear diapers his whole life and he said "yes".
    >Like I say that difficult time only lasted about a week,
    >now he's pretty much trained. Only had a few wetting
    >accidents and still has the odd accident and messes
    >himself, but that doesn't happen often. I think I started
    >training in November and things were more or less sorted
    >out within 2-3 weeks.

    My daughter was horrid with training, never was interested.
    With Riley, there have just been too many inconsistencies
    and excuses. It's not something that can be tried once a
    week, or in the morning then don't make another attempt
    until several days later. Now that mama is home and not
    working full time, I'll bet things will go smoother in this
    department.

    Joyce

  12. "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 08:10:51 -0800, "Brenda Hammond"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >> It's amazing how sharp those first children are ...
    > >> probably from
    having
    > >our
    > >> undivided attention. Then my second came along, she
    > >> learned quickly
    how
    > >to keep
    > >> herself occupied as mom was swamped with 3 kids. LOL I
    > >> remember her
    > >asking me to
    > >> read her a book and my telling her to just take the
    > >> book and read it to
    > >herself,
    > >> she could do it. She had just turned 4 at the time. I
    > >> was a bad, bad
    > >mom. <G>
    > >> Well I'll be danged if that kid didn't teach herself
    > >> how to read in a
    few
    > >short
    > >> months! She would read street signs as we were driving
    > >> down the road,
    > >surprised
    > >> the heck out of me.
    > >
    > >Nicholas reads the speed limit signs. Keeps him occupied
    > >on the long
    ride
    > >to my parents house.
    >
    > Isn't it funny what will keep a child occupied? Then you
    > get to our age
    and
    > forget to look for those speed limit signs. <G>

    You said it! Actually the area in which we live really only
    has two or three different speed limits, 30km/hr through
    town, 60km/hr on the outskirts and 80km/hr anywhere else!
    Doesn't take much to stick within those limits, you get used
    to them quickly, then there's no excuse if you get a ticket!

    Actually DH got a ticket a few years back. He's got a
    Kawasaki Ninja ZX 9R in lime green. His bike looks exactly
    like this one
    http://www.mpsracing.com/products/TiForce/es01i.asp The
    darn thing goes like you wouldn't believe. He got pulled
    over twice in the 60km zone near our house and was lucky as
    it was a different police officer each time, so they let
    him off with a warning after he promised not to do it
    again. Then, about a week later he got pulled over again,
    but wasn't so lucky this time. The officer that pulled him
    over this time was the same one that pulled him over the
    first time. The first time he told the officer he was late
    meeting me for a lunch date, so Constable Rosenberg let him
    off, but he couldn't use the same excuse again, so got a
    ticked for $115.00. He was doing 130km/hr in a 60km/hr
    zone. He's lucky his ticket was only $115.00 as it should
    have been alot more!

    > >> Riley isn't counting to 28 yet, can easily get to 10
    > >> and sometimes a
    bit
    > >further.
    > >> He does recognize all the letters of the alphabet and
    > >> his mom is
    working
    > >on him
    > >> being able to recite them without seeing them (the old
    > >> alphabet song?).
    > >His
    > >> speech was pretty far behind normal and daughter was
    > >> very worried about
    > >that. I
    > >> try to tell her that all kids develop differently, she
    > >> won't accept it.
    > >
    > >Nicholas didn't really say much until last December. He
    > >goes to a play group on Thursdays and they learn signing
    > >there, so he used signing more than anything else, then
    > >between Chritmas and New Years his speech just
    took
    > >off, now he never signs. Riley will begin to talk soon.
    > >Being premature probably added to the setback and boys
    > >are normally later beginning to
    talk
    > >than girls.
    >
    > He started talking around 2 years old, has become much
    > more verbal now. I
    think
    > my daughter has more issues with how he pronounces things,
    > sometimes slurs
    the
    > words - he's just in too much of a hurry. Learning signing
    > at the early
    age
    > really is a neat idea. I have felt that signing should be
    > offered in
    schools, as
    > another language choice (such as spanish, french). This is
    > something I
    think
    > everyone could use ... but no one seems to listen to me.
    > <G>

    I agree. It could come in handy in many instances. Now that
    Nicholas has the speech thing figured out he's not using
    signs at all.

    > >She also
    > >> forgets that Riley was a full month premature and spent
    > >> close to 2
    weeks
    > >in
    > >> neonatal intensive care, so development lags can be
    > >> very normal. I
    think
    > >he's
    > >> doing great, he's a normal, healthy, happy go lucky,
    > >> active little boy
    > >what
    > >> more can you ask for? Now if only she would put some
    > >> effort into potty
    > >training.
    > >> <sigh>
    > >
    > >Potty training went well for us after about the first
    > >week. When we
    first
    > >tried putting him into underwear he screamed and said
    > >they were "yucky".
    > >asked him if he wanted to wear diapers his whole life and
    > >he said "yes". Like I say that difficult time only lasted
    > >about a week, now he's pretty much trained. Only had a
    > >few wetting accidents and still has the odd accident and
    > >messes himself, but that doesn't happen often. I think I
    > >started training in November and things were more or less
    > >sorted out
    within
    > >2-3 weeks.
    >
    > My daughter was horrid with training, never was
    > interested. With Riley,
    there
    > have just been too many inconsistencies and excuses. It's
    > not something
    that can
    > be tried once a week, or in the morning then don't make
    > another attempt
    until
    > several days later. Now that mama is home and not working
    > full time, I'll
    bet
    > things will go smoother in this department.

    I hope so. Once she starts, she'll have to keep up with it
    or it's too easy to let it slide and go back to the diaper
    thing. I'm glad to not be spending all that money on
    diapers now. We just use one at night. About half of the
    mornings he's dry.

    > Joyce

  13. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    1st) I wish speedlimits were like that here. 2nd) He's very
    lucky that he wasn't in Pennsylvania doing those sorts of
    speeds! He'd have lost his license for certain.

    "Brenda Hammond" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

    > "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 08:10:51 -0800, "Brenda Hammond"
    > > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > > >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > >news:[email protected]...
    > having
    > > >our
    > how
    > > >to keep
    > > >asking me to
    > > >herself,
    bad
    > > >mom. <G>
    > few
    > > >short
    road,
    > > >surprised
    > > >
    > > >Nicholas reads the speed limit signs. Keeps him
    > > >occupied on the long
    > ride
    > > >to my parents house.
    > >
    > > Isn't it funny what will keep a child occupied? Then you
    > > get to our age
    > and
    > > forget to look for those speed limit signs. <G>
    >
    > You said it! Actually the area in which we live really
    > only has two or three different speed limits, 30km/hr
    > through town, 60km/hr on the
    outskirts
    > and 80km/hr anywhere else! Doesn't take much to stick
    > within those
    limits,
    > you get used to them quickly, then there's no excuse if
    > you get a ticket!
    >
    > Actually DH got a ticket a few years back. He's got a
    > Kawasaki Ninja ZX
    9R
    > in lime green. His bike looks exactly like this one
    > http://www.mpsracing.com/products/TiForce/es01i.asp The
    > darn thing goes like you wouldn't believe. He got pulled
    > over twice
    in
    > the 60km zone near our house and was lucky as it was a
    > different police officer each time, so they let him off
    > with a warning after he promised
    not
    > to do it again. Then, about a week later he got pulled
    > over again, but wasn't so lucky this time. The officer
    > that pulled him over this time was the same one that
    > pulled him over the first time. The first time he told the
    > officer he was late meeting me for a lunch date, so
    > Constable
    Rosenberg
    > let him off, but he couldn't use the same excuse again, so
    > got a ticked
    for
    > $115.00. He was doing 130km/hr in a 60km/hr zone. He's
    > lucky his ticket was only $115.00 as it should have been
    > alot more!

  14. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 20:54:10 -0800, "Brenda Hammond"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> >Nicholas reads the speed limit signs. Keeps him occupied
    >> >on the long
    >ride
    >> >to my parents house.
    >>
    >> Isn't it funny what will keep a child occupied? Then you
    >> get to our age
    >and
    >> forget to look for those speed limit signs. <G>
    >
    >You said it! Actually the area in which we live really
    >only has two or three different speed limits, 30km/hr
    >through town, 60km/hr on the outskirts and 80km/hr
    >anywhere else! Doesn't take much to stick within those
    >limits, you get used to them quickly, then there's no
    >excuse if you get a ticket!

    That would make things so much simpler. Our speed limits
    seem to change every 50 feet or so ... 20, 25, 25, 40, 20
    ... never know what you are getting into. Highways are 65
    unless posted lower (so have to pay attention to those
    signs). In my old age, I tend to just poke along now - don't
    need or want any tickets.

    >Actually DH got a ticket a few years back. He's got a
    >Kawasaki Ninja ZX 9R in lime green. His bike looks exactly
    >like this one
    >http://www.mpsracing.com/products/TiForce/es01i.asp The
    >darn thing goes like you wouldn't believe. He got pulled
    >over twice in the 60km zone near our house and was lucky as
    >it was a different police officer each time, so they let
    >him off with a warning after he promised not to do it
    >again. Then, about a week later he got pulled over again,
    >but wasn't so lucky this time. The officer that pulled him
    >over this time was the same one that pulled him over the
    >first time. The first time he told the officer he was late
    >meeting me for a lunch date, so Constable Rosenberg let him
    >off, but he couldn't use the same excuse again, so got a
    >ticked for $115.00. He was doing 130km/hr in a 60km/hr
    >zone. He's lucky his ticket was only $115.00 as it should
    >have been alot more!

    He is very lucky, probably wouldn't get away with that
    around here. Our locale is ticket happy, desperately need
    the revenue they bring in. Standard ticket (up to 15mph over
    limit) is $75, goes up from there based on how much over the
    limit you are. Hub got one a few months ago, got himself
    caught in a speed trap. He was pulling out of a parking lot,
    immediately saw the lights and pulled over (probably his
    first mistake ... whoever pulls over gets the ticket). They
    said they caught him going 47 in a 35 zone. Now I know my
    vehicle and it's impossible to get it up to 45 when exiting
    a parking lot!

    >> >Potty training went well for us after about the first
    >> >week. When we
    >first
    >> >tried putting him into underwear he screamed and said
    >> >they were "yucky".
    >> >asked him if he wanted to wear diapers his whole life
    >> >and he said "yes". Like I say that difficult time only
    >> >lasted about a week, now he's pretty much trained. Only
    >> >had a few wetting accidents and still has the odd
    >> >accident and messes himself, but that doesn't happen
    >> >often. I think I started training in November and things
    >> >were more or less sorted out
    >within
    >> >2-3 weeks.
    >>
    >> My daughter was horrid with training, never was
    >> interested. With Riley,
    >there
    >> have just been too many inconsistencies and excuses. It's
    >> not something
    >that can
    >> be tried once a week, or in the morning then don't make
    >> another attempt
    >until
    >> several days later. Now that mama is home and not working
    >> full time, I'll
    >bet
    >> things will go smoother in this department.
    >
    >I hope so. Once she starts, she'll have to keep up with it
    >or it's too easy to let it slide and go back to the diaper
    >thing. I'm glad to not be spending all that money on
    >diapers now. We just use one at night. About half of the
    >mornings he's dry.

    Yup, getting her to believe this is another story. <G> Today
    she was angry at him, was changing his diaper when he
    decided to let loose ... on her. LOL! Maybe she'll soon get
    the picture? She still has to spend the money on diapers, as
    she now has a 6 week old little girl. BUT - she could cut
    back on the quantity and not having to buy 2 different
    sizes, definitely a cut in expenses. I remember well those
    feelings of relief when no longer having to purchase formula
    and diapers.

    Joyce