Pointy Ergo with Aluminum Body Rebuild Ramblings

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Appkiller

Alternate subject: Rebuild my Brother's Bike Saga Part IV

Wow - about 4 hours for the total job - but I did essentially a full disassembly three times and two
more partials. I was using the instructions from Paul Southworth and the exploded image on
campyonly.com. These pointy headed units are simpler than the diagram on campyonly.com by a washer,
a coil spring, a back cover and the shift button assembly. The washer and cover aren't anything to
worry about, but the springs on the other hand - the fewer the better! And I still dealt with two of
them three times. Winding springs and sliding parts on them takes significant patience.

I overachieved because I found the only way to get the new hoods on the bodies was to remove the
shift blade behind the brake lever - after I had already done the g springs and re-assembled the
mech on one of the units. Interesting for two reasons: it has a spring on it that is inaccessible
except with my set of jewelers screwdrivers and the diagram on campyonly.com is cropped to exclude
the info about that area of the shifter. So I had no idea how the main shaft (two hex head bolts
that mate) was removed. Some trial and error and I discovered the design of the main shaft (but not
before I had removed and replaced that difficult spring and then removed it again) and how to remove
it. BTW, these are ball bearing shifters - anyone know what model they might be? They have no
indication of the model on them.

So the left shifter was done. I came to realize that the right was going to be harder than I thought
in that the tasks performed requiring high degrees of manual dexterity were now either going to be
required of the other hand or otherwise were going to performed differently than with the right
shifter. The second shifter took about 45 minutes with no extra disassembling. Getting that shifter
blade spring on its catch is a ***** and my fingertips are pretty sore. Thank god for those
jeweler's screwdrivers.

I employed some simple tricks getting springs wound and bits in place. For the shift button, I would
slide the disc that fits into the shift disc into the body and ignore its proper placement in favor
of getting that spring through that little hole and then would slowly and patiently work the shift
button disc into place. The only other way I thought of doing this was to notch the tip of one of my
jeweler's screwdrivers to hold the bent end of the spring and push it into place. I didn't do that,
however. The shift blade spring was trial and error and mostly dumb luck. And those screwdrivers
again. Once you get your index finger and a screwdriver in the shifter body, there really isn't room
for anything else, much less to see what the heck you are doing.

I think when it comes time for me to do my Chorus and Centaur shifters, I will do them myself. I
think also that this is not a job for everyone - I sometimes surprise people with my ability to
focus and systematically attack problems. I know I surprised myself in this case. But if you have
ever done any mechanical work, you can do this.

Ride on,

App

On 17 Jan 2004 09:17:25 -0800, [email protected] (Appkiller) wrote:

>I think when it comes time for me to do my Chorus and Centaur shifters, I will do them myself. I
>think also that this is not a job for everyone - I sometimes surprise people with my ability to
>focus and systematically attack problems. I know I surprised myself in this case. But if you have
>ever done any mechanical work, you can do this.

It took me about 2 hours to do the 1998+ shifters the first time. After doing several, I can do it
in less than 15 minutes. I did the last 10 speed conversion and didn't bother taking the rubber
hoods off. I just rolled the rubber back off of the mouse ear.

The best advice I ever got about new mod. service was to use a 5mm T handle thru the top between
body and blade to hold the rotating parts while servicing from the bar side. Tom

--
Bruni Bicycles
"Where art meets science"
brunibicycles.com
David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 09:17:25 -0800, Appkiller wrote:
>
> > Wow - about 4 hours for the total job - but I did essentially a full
> > disassembly three times and two more partials. I was using the
> > instructions from Paul Southworth and the exploded image on
> > campyonly.com. These pointy headed units are simpler than the diagram
> > on campyonly.com by a washer, a coil spring, a back cover and the
> > shift button assembly.
>
> Mine is like that, too. It's an older model.
>
> --
>
> David L. Johnson
>
> __o | Enron's slogan: Respect, Communication, Integrity, and
> _`\(,_ | Excellence.
> (_)/ (_) |

Status
Not open for further replies.