Polar 720 - Total Ascent

Chaim

Jan 24, 2004
Do any of you know if the Polar 720 does not show the Total Ride Ascent on the HRM?

I had a Polar 710 and I was able to get this data on the HRM.

I can get this info on the PC Software after download.

Originally posted by Chaim
Do any of you know if the Polar 720 does not show the Total Ride Ascent on the HRM?

I had a Polar 710 and I was able to get this data on the HRM.

I can get this info on the PC Software after download.

The 720 has all the same functions as the 710, in a shiny metal case! You do have to make sure the altimeter is turned on to use this function though.

Originally posted by Roadie_scum
The 720 has all the same functions as the 710, in a shiny metal case! You do have to make sure the altimeter is turned on to use this function though.

Altimeter is on.

This is the link to the manual.
What page can I find this. I scaned a few times and could not find the Total Ascent reading.

http://www.polarusa.com/manuals/S720i.pdf

The followin is the answer I got from Polar:

Dear Chaim,

Thank you for your email.

The S720i does not have the Ascent feature.

If you need further assistance please feel free to contact Customer Service at 800-227-1314 or 516-364-0400.

Thank you for choosing Polar.

Customer Service
POLAR ELECTRO INC.

It used to have total climbing but does not anymore (much to my dismay when I bought a replacement)
The rhetoric from polar:
Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in responding to
your inquiry, we have been experiencing technical difficulties. We
apologize for any inconvenience caused.

In the US, the S720i was not planned to include the ascent feature,
however, a shipment of units was received with that feature included.
That
is why some models sold in the US may have the feature available. The
majority of our S720i models are sold without the ascent feature and
the
replacement parts do not include the programming for that feature
either.
We do not have a record of who may have received the units containing
ascent, therefore, it is not possible to locate one for you.

If you need further assistance please feel free to contact Customer
Service
at 800-227-1314 or 516-364-0400.

Customer Service
POLAR ELECTRO INC.

Gerr said:
It used to have total climbing but does not anymore (much to my dismay when I bought a replacement)
The rhetoric from polar:
Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in responding to
your inquiry, we have been experiencing technical difficulties. We
apologize for any inconvenience caused.

In the US, the S720i was not planned to include the ascent feature,
however, a shipment of units was received with that feature included.
That
is why some models sold in the US may have the feature available. The
majority of our S720i models are sold without the ascent feature and
the
replacement parts do not include the programming for that feature
either.
We do not have a record of who may have received the units containing
ascent, therefore, it is not possible to locate one for you.

If you need further assistance please feel free to contact Customer
Service
at 800-227-1314 or 516-364-0400.

Customer Service
POLAR ELECTRO INC.

WHEW, mine has ascent, and I love it. :) Gonna be a sad day when it dies... :(

The 725 has Ascent + so when you are ready to replace. I just dried my 720 out the other day and it started working again (keeps going an
going.....)

what could possibly be their rationale for not including total ascent on the US models?! mine has this feature, but then i'm in england.

robkit said:
what could possibly be their rationale for not including total ascent on the US models?! mine has this feature, but then i'm in england.

There's a great question. I have another, question related to the OP's. Am I just stupid and unable to find it or does the 720 also lack a total distance during the ride. I have cycled through the displays time and again, but I have always found myself looking at average speed and practicing my mental math!

Anyone know if there's a way to display running total miles during the ride?

Haste266 said:
i got lucky also, mine came with ascent feature, bought it from an online store.
www.healthchecksystems.com is where i got it from

Wow! I'm surprised you would buy it from there when a simple froogle search would turn up several cheaper online options. That's one of the advantages of online shopping though. It's very easy to compare prices, so you don't fall for annoying spam.

Roadie_scum said:
Wow! I'm surprised you would buy it from there when a simple froogle search would turn up several cheaper online options. That's one of the advantages of online shopping though. It's very easy to compare prices, so you don't fall for annoying spam.
ummmm, yeah...
i would like you to show me the "several" cheaper online options

Haste266 said:
ummmm, yeah...
i would like you to show me the "several" cheaper online options

Why should I do your work for you?

froogle.google.com will show you. Try a search for 'polar s720i' to start off with. Pretty rudimentary.

You remind me of a monty python skit I know and love:

"THE SPAM SKETCH"
Man: You sit here, dear.

Wife: All right.

Man: Morning!

Waitress: Morning!

Man: Well, what've you got?

Waitress: Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam;

Vikings: Spam spam spam spam...

Waitress: ...spam spam spam egg and spam; spam spam spam spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam...

Vikings: Spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam!

Waitress: ...or Lobster Thermidor a Crevette with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam.

Wife: Have you got anything without spam?

Waitress: Well, there's spam egg sausage and spam, that's not got much spam in it.

Wife: I don't want ANY spam!

Man: Why can't she have egg bacon spam and sausage?

Wife: THAT'S got spam in it!

Man: Hasn't got as much spam in it as spam egg sausage and spam, has it?

Vikings: Spam spam spam spam... (Crescendo through next few lines...)

Wife: Could you do the egg bacon spam and sausage without the spam then?

Waitress: Urgghh!

Wife: What do you mean 'Urgghh'? I don't like spam!

Vikings: Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!

Waitress: Shut up!

Vikings: Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!

Waitress: Shut up! (Vikings stop) Bloody Vikings! You can't have egg bacon spam and sausage without the spam.

Wife: I don't like spam!

Man: Sshh, dear, don't cause a fuss. I'll have your spam. I love it. I'm having spam spam spam spam spam spam spam beaked beans spam spam spam and spam!

Vikings: Spam spam spam spam. Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!

Waitress: Shut up!! Baked beans are off.

Man: Well could I have her spam instead of the baked beans then?

Waitress: You mean spam spam spam spam spam spam... (but it is too late and the Vikings drown her words)

Vikings: (Singing elaborately...) Spam spam spam spam. Lovely spam! Wonderful spam! Spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam. Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Spam spam spam spam!

again like i said....
show me the "several" cheaper online options other than healthchecksystems.com with i received free next day air shipping for $289.95
btw, i do my research and try to find good deals when i buy stuff, just because healthchecksystems may not seem like a big company to you it fit the bill for me perfectly and i got great shipping time/service from them
oh, and it was a gift for my birthday from my brother, he paid $250 and i just covered the rest, saving a couple bucks wasn't a HUGE deal for me anyway

ur name fits you perfectly btw "scum"

Haste266 said:
again like i said....
show me the "several" cheaper online options other than healthchecksystems.com with i received free next day air shipping for $289.95

One really good place to look is here .

ur name fits you perfectly btw "scum"

Thankyou. I like it. :D

But not as much as I like it when people with no posts to their name start promoting commercial services which have no relevance to the original poster's question. I love that. It's sad, but there are some threads that remain on topic, unsullied by commercial promotion. Perhaps if you work hard enough you can fix that.

ummmm
i wasnt promoting anything, i was simply stating where i got a heartrate monitor that had the ascent feature just in case someone else wanted to buy one and have the possibility of getting the feature
and if i was affiliated with any retail sites i believe i would be wording my posts totally different.
i am on a few other cycling related messageboards and am not affiliated with any retail companies. i work at a veterinary hospital

btw, the topic was over and done with anyway, so straying slightly away from the main focus of the post doesnt matter either way.

oh yeah, those "several" other cheaper places to get it still hasnt shown up...
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Haste266 said:
oh yeah, those "several" other cheaper places to get it still hasnt shown up... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

You are officially the worst at googling/froogling ever. You have won: nothing!

I'm not endorsing any of these shops and have never done business with any of them, but if I have to do it to convince you, so be it.

Online retailers:

$259.99
$273.99

$250.00

And if you like ebay:

$224.99
$170.00