Polar 720 vs HAC4

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jim Edwards, Oct 25, 2003.

  1. Jim Edwards

    Jim Edwards Guest

    Hi, Any opinions on these two HRMs. I've checked the features on-line but wanted to get some opinins
    from users. Thanks, Jim

    Tags:

  2. Tom Carrico

    Tom Carrico Guest

    I don't know about the HAC4, but I do like my Polar 720. The interface is a bit quirky, you will
    need to read the manual, but it does everything I ever wanted. I have had it 6 months now with no
    problems at all.

    --
    Tom Carrico http://www.ccdargo.com

    "Jim Edwards" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Hi, Any opinions on these two HRMs. I've checked the features on-line but
    wanted
    > to get some opinins from users. Thanks, Jim

  3. Rjjj

    Rjjj Guest

    I own a HAC4 and I wish I had bought the Polar unit instead. Specifically I have the following
    gripes with the HAC4;

    1) The handlebar mount that you have with the cadence option is difficult to secure properly. It's
    a half-moon of plastic with ridges on which you are supposed to secure a rubber O-ring to
    complete the circle around your handlebar. I had to buff up the set up with zip ties right from
    the get go.
    2) The software isn't very well documented. Online Help files are the only documentation included.
    Using the data can be a steep learning curve. It actually comes with 3 different programs that
    each let you look at the data in a different way. Two of the programs don't share data very well
    and I used to have to upload from the computer multiple times just to get the data into all the
    programs. (they don't use the same data file format after they've uploaded the data from the
    unit) There is a trick so that you only have to upload the data once, but it took me over a
    month to find the hint in the help files.
    3) The power "measurement" is actually just a calculation based on four variables: your weight,
    your bike's weight, your current speed, and your current grade (up or downhill). At best it's a
    guestimation, definately NOT a "measurement."

    On the plus side the HAC4 does have some nice points;
    4) Once you figure out the software, it does give you a huge number of options on how you review
    your ride data.
    5) The barometer in it is very accurate (I have compared it to pressure standards in a calibration
    lab). So it will tell altitude pretty repeatably depending on the local barometric swings.

    I guess my biggest gripes are the calculated power numbers and the lack of good documentation.

  4. Mark Wolfe

    Mark Wolfe Guest

    Check this out.

    http://hac4linux.sourceforge.net

    RJJJ wrote:

    > I own a HAC4 and I wish I had bought the Polar unit instead. Specifically
    > have the following gripes with the HAC4;
    >
    > 1) The handlebar mount that you have with the cadence option is difficult to secure properly.
    > It's a half-moon of plastic with ridges on which you are supposed to secure a rubber O-ring to
    > complete the circle around your handlebar. I had to buff up the set up with zip ties right
    > from the get
    go.
    > 2) The software isn't very well documented. Online Help files are the
    only
    > documentation included. Using the data can be a steep learning curve. It actually comes with 3
    > different programs that each let you look at the
    data
    > in a different way. Two of the programs don't share data very well and I used to have to upload
    > from the computer multiple times just to get the
    data
    > into all the programs. (they don't use the same data file format after they've uploaded the data
    > from the unit) There is a trick so that you
    only
    > have to upload the data once, but it took me over a month to find the hint in the help files.
    > 3) The power "measurement" is actually just a calculation based on four variables: your weight,
    > your bike's weight, your current speed, and your current grade (up or downhill). At best it's
    > a guestimation, definately
    NOT
    > a "measurement."
    >
    > On the plus side the HAC4 does have some nice points;
    > 1) Once you figure out the software, it does give you a huge number of options on how you review
    > your ride data.
    > 2) The barometer in it is very accurate (I have compared it to pressure standards in a
    > calibration lab). So it will tell altitude pretty
    repeatably
    > depending on the local barometric swings.
    >

    > I guess my biggest gripes are the calculated power numbers and the lack of good documentation.

    --
    Mark Wolfe http://www.wolfenet.org gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6
    8C71 Also note that i knew _far_ more about the people that call address mungers names like