Polar 720i Ascent Problem

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by rcorbell, Oct 10, 2004.

1. rcorbell

rcorbell New Member

I have been using the 720i for about a year know and cant seem to get a correct answer as to the ascent feature. I have contacted polar 2 different times and they dont seem to know either. The question is on the ascent. I recently rode the Waco Wild West and did 102.8 miles. I wound up with 2 different ascent calculations and seems after every ride it is the same thing. I always clear everything before the new ride. After uploading the info into my computer , on the main screen at the long rectangular box at the bottem it said ascent 1900 feet but in turn when i move my curser to the end of the ride on the same screen a grey box pops up that says lap one with all the current calculations in it and it says 3100 feet. In the watch itself it said 1900 but in the 3 years i have been riding it sure felt like 3100 feet especially going over 100 miles. I am sampling at 5 seconds. Which is the correct number? Also, does the watch have to be perfectly level on the bike to get an acturate number? Thanks

Tags:

2. angrydave

angrydave New Member

Not sure exactly what you are talkinga bout with the bars, BUT,

The end of the line is the cumulative climbing for the ride, anywhere else is the altitude at that time. Keep in mind that this thing is barometric pressure based, so it can vary somewhat from day to day, though total ascent should be accurate.