Polar 720i Display

Alex Conrath

Jul 26, 2005
Polar 720i display

I have been looking at the Polar 720i users manual to see if it will display

current heart rate, current speed, and cadence at the same time. The manual is unclear on how the display can be configured. The lower line is for heart rate information only but how can the upper two lines be configured and can it be setup to display heart hate, speed and cadence at the same time.

Thanks Alex

Alex Conrath said:
Polar 720i display

current heart rate, current speed, and cadence at the same time. The manual is unclear on how the display can be configured. The lower line is for heart rate information only but how can the upper two lines be configured and can it be setup to display heart hate, speed and cadence at the same time.

Thanks Alex

My S625x does.

The top right hand button toggles the top line display between elapsed time, lap time, altitude, cadence, etc and so you use that button to find cadence.

The the bottom right hand button will move the middle display from time, to speed etc.

I think that should show you cadence in the top display line, speed in the middle and heart rate at the bottom.

James Dalton said:
The top right hand button toggles the top line display between elapsed time, lap time, altitude, cadence, etc and so you use that button to find cadence.

The the bottom right hand button will move the middle display from time, to speed etc.

I think that should show you cadence in the top display line, speed in the middle and heart rate at the bottom.

exactly.. three different displays on at each time.. top 2 you can do pretty much any combo..bottom is fixed to heart rate, which by pressing and holding the bottom right hand button you can have it display, ave, % of max or BPM

Thank you for your reply. I have bee torn between A 725/720i or the new CS200cad .The 720 may win out because it will down load data directly to

the pc as the CS200 will only down load to the web. I was afraid the 720i may be at the end of its product life. The new CS200cad offers a lot for 159.00 list

Alex

Alex - I wouold go for the 720i as it does all the stuff that the CS200 will do plus a lot more.

Also - from what I have seen - you can't program sessions like intervals into the CS200.

I suppose it really depends on how much you wnat to know about your rides. The 720i will tell you as much as you could ever possibly want to know including what you had for breakfast!

James Dalton said:
Alex - I wouold go for the 720i as it does all the stuff that the CS200 will do plus a lot more.

Also - from what I have seen - you can't program sessions like intervals into the CS200.

I suppose it really depends on how much you wnat to know about your rides. The 720i will tell you as much as you could ever possibly want to know including what you had for breakfast!

It can tell you when you have burnt off breakfast.

James Dalton said:

I've found that I have to adjust the display every time I start the stopwatch (to get the combination that you want), although you can set it so that only 2 presses of the down button are required. Does anyone know how to save the setting so that it always starts with speed and cadence?

Alex Conrath said:
Thank you for your reply. I have bee torn between A 725/720i or the new CS200cad .The 720 may win out because it will down load data directly to

the pc as the CS200 will only down load to the web. I was afraid the 720i may be at the end of its product life. The new CS200cad offers a lot for 159.00 list

Alex
My understanding of the CS200 (which I don't have, so I stand to be corrected), will only download summaries of a session. Average, max HR, time in zone, lap times, etc... The 720 can download all the actual session data. For example, on the graph, here I was climbing a hill, so the HR skyrockets, here a dog was chasing me, etc...

I inquired at one of our LBS about the CS200cad and was told that the shipment will be delayed at least till the middle of August because Polar is having problems with the units.

Good news is I won’t have to wait, I will be shopping for a 720i , thanks for your input.
Polar’s web site states the 720i comes with the T61 chest strap and the 725 comes with the new wear link strap, any opinions on these straps.

Thanks Again Alex

I have the 520 which displays: current heart rate (default lower line display (cannot be changed). My display is usually configured to show speed on the big middle line and cadence on the smaller upper line.

The middle line can be configured to show either speed, time of day, lap time, or stop watch.

The top line can be configured to show either Cadence, Time of Day, Stop Watch, Calories Burnt, Trip Miles, Current Speed, Average Speed, or Max Speed.

I'm almost certain the 720i can be configured the same way.

Alex Conrath said:
Polar 720i display

Thanks Alex

Alex Conrath said:
I inquired at one of our LBS about the CS200cad and was told that the shipment will be delayed at least till the middle of August because Polar is having problems with the units.

Good news is I won’t have to wait, I will be shopping for a 720i , thanks for your input.
Polar’s web site states the 720i comes with the T61 chest strap and the 725 comes with the new wear link strap, any opinions on these straps.

Thanks Again Alex

I would definatly go with the s720.. i have both cs200/s720/s725/s625x.
the wearlink strap is great, not that much more comfy but the user replaceable battery is a plus. but if you plan on swimming with it go for the t61 though i have had alot better success with the t61

the cs200 is good for a cycling computer, but is lacking altitude and the ability to read power. also if your training with intervals, or want to store more than 12 exe files and view an actual curve rather than just totals in a web service diary.

polar is not having problems with the cs units, they are simply on backorder from the factory. there was such a high demand for them, instead of sending them in spurts they are going for a complete "fill in" through all the dealers at once.

hope this helps

artemidorus said:
I've found that I have to adjust the display every time I start the stopwatch (to get the combination that you want), although you can set it so that only 2 presses of the down button are required. Does anyone know how to save the setting so that it always starts with speed and cadence?
with the 720 there is no way to "save" the display settings.. the cs200 can, and you can set the cs to auto scroll through the saves display settings which i find pretty nice on some rides.

James Dalton said:

Definitely go s720; you get altitude/ascent (not on CS200) and auto start/stop (not on s725).

:cool: If I were you I'll sell the 720 and get a 625, it is sweeeeet. The only complain I have is the altimeter, needs to have the altimeter setup everytime. I give it 8 out of 10.

baldwin2002 said:
:cool: If I were you I'll sell the 720 and get a 625, it is sweeeeet. The only complain I have is the altimeter, needs to have the altimeter setup everytime. I give it 8 out of 10.
any altimeter you will find you need to calibrate each time you use it. it uses barometric pressure. the pressure changes from day to day with weather and enviornmental factors.

whats so hard about pressing one button? in measure mode just scroll till altitude is displayed in the middle. then press and hold the light button. whaalla..accurate altitude.;)

impakt said:
any altimeter you will find you need to calibrate each time you use it. it uses barometric pressure. the pressure changes from day to day with weather and enviornmental factors.

whats so hard about pressing one button? in measure mode just scroll till altitude is displayed in the middle. then press and hold the light button. whaalla..accurate altitude.;)
Yeah, but if you do not know the altitude for the starting location, all you get is how many feet you climbed and descent. There is no way to input barometric pressure even though it reads ambient pressure.

baldwin2002 said:
Yeah, but if you do not know the altitude for the starting location, all you get is how many feet you climbed and descent. There is no way to input barometric pressure even though it reads ambient pressure.

I've never calibrated for altitude. I could (I live near sea level), absolute height is not something that has interested me. I focus on the amount of climbing - ascent...sometimes grade.