polar 720i, general questions for those that have it handled.

Rek, I've been working on it, and feel I've about got it dialed the way I like it, check this one.
:)

Glad to see you have it working. Curious, why don't you have the Alt turned on? I find that very interesting to check my cadence against the grade that I am on.

One question not trying to steal the thread. Does anyone have trouble with dropouts on their speed reading? I have about 7 - 8 drop outs (loss of speed reading) on my morning 14 mile ride. It loses the reading during one of the 5 second sample then picks it back up. The HR and Cadence are still picked up.

PS. Funny that you have the Astrale 8 and the 720i. I have the same 2 computers on my bike. Took me a while to get use to the slower 720i reading compared to the Astrale when I was getting them synced up.

I was having the same problem for awhile. I also have an astrale mounted on the bars. I tried playing around with the magnet, but the speed reading was still inconsistant.

I then switched the mountings so the polar was on the same side as the magnet and raised the sensor as far up the fork as I could. No problems since.

agile said:
Glad to see you have it working. Curious, why don't you have the Alt turned on? I find that very interesting to check my cadence against the grade that I am on.

One question not trying to steal the thread. Does anyone have trouble with dropouts on their speed reading? I have about 7 - 8 drop outs (loss of speed reading) on my morning 14 mile ride. It loses the reading during one of the 5 second sample then picks it back up. The HR and Cadence are still picked up.

PS. Funny that you have the Astrale 8 and the 720i. I have the same 2 computers on my bike. Took me a while to get use to the slower 720i reading compared to the Astrale when I was getting them synced up.

Try replacing the sensor battery. I had a similar problem. Changed the battery, problem solved. Might just be that. :)

Seeing as we are running the same computers, I thought I'd mention how I have mine setup. The Astrale I use for Cadence and distance. The 720I I use for MPH, Stopwatch-laptimes, Heart rate.

Seems like lately I watch the cadence and speed the most, and let my legs tell me where the heart rate is. I "FEEL" as though when I concentrate on the HR to much I don't go as hard as I need to. Rather than riding at say 160 pulse (and not knowing it) I look down at 160 and think "DANG, I must really be suffering" and I think I tend to ease up when it's really not necessary. I'm sure it's a mental thing, but I've decided to listen to my legs more instead of watching the monitor as often. I still watch it, but not as often, I used to practically stare it.

matt22 said:
Rek,

How do you take a screenshot?
the PrtScr key on the keyboard puts an image of the current screen onto the clipboard, that you can then paste into MS Paint and crop etc.

Alternatively you can press Alt-PrtScr and it takes a screenshot of just the current window.

Stormer - I find myself doing the same. I use the Cateye for Cadence and Total Ride distance and use the Polar for other readings.

I found another post that allows you to turn up the strength of signal from the speed sensor. I am going to try that before I replace the battery. This will also allow me to move the sensor to the back wheel so that I can use it on the trainer this winter.

I need to get the Polar fixed. Went on a 50 mile ride yesterday. Cateye showed a distance of 50.08 miles and the Polar was at 35.4. Had a bunch of dropouts. I know it was not from electrical interference since we road a crushed limestone trail with nothing but trees and nature around. Beautiful ride!

Will let you know how adjusting the sensor turns out.

agile said:
Stormer - I find myself doing the same. I use the Cateye for Cadence and Total Ride distance and use the Polar for other readings.

I found another post that allows you to turn up the strength of signal from the speed sensor. I am going to try that before I replace the battery. This will also allow me to move the sensor to the back wheel so that I can use it on the trainer this winter.

Will let you know how adjusting the sensor turns out.
If it's of any interest, mine works from the back wheel, fixed to the upright, and I do have it on a trainer

Magnets are bipolar, not to be confused with the mental disorder, and the field has a particular orientation. Some sensors utilize a reed switch (Polar wireless) and others use a Hall effect (solid state) to sense the magnet.

Reed switches work with a great variability in field orientation where Hall effect sensors require specific field orientation. If the magnet doesn't "trip" the sensor, you need to rotate the magnet 90 degrees to make it work.

Some reed switch sensors make a small "clicking" noise when activated but others are nearly silent. All Hall effect sensors are dead quiet.

Thanks for the information. The sensor does have an LED inside that will flash if it is reading correctly. I have turned up the "transmission" power of the sensor and will see how it works on my next ride.

Thanks for all the feedback.

stormer94 said:
Try replacing the sensor battery. I had a similar problem. Changed the battery, problem solved. Might just be that. :)

Seeing as we are running the same computers, I thought I'd mention how I have mine setup. The Astrale I use for Cadence and distance. The 720I I use for MPH, Stopwatch-laptimes, Heart rate.
-snipped-

Why do you guys run the Polar and an Astrale? I was planning to get a 720 and give up the Cateye. Is there a need for both, or is the 720 lacking insome way?

Thanks,
DP

Dellphinus said:
Why do you guys run the Polar and an Astrale? I was planning to get a 720 and give up the Cateye. Is there a need for both, or is the 720 lacking insome way?

Thanks,
DP

I was planning on leaving the Cateye on for my trainer and using using it to calibrate the Polar. If you have the room on the bar, it is nice to have multiple readouts available. The 720i is fine by itself. No need for both.

Just did a quick 20 mile ride and my Polar did not drop the speed once. I changed the jumpers on the speed sensor to up the transmission to 110 mm and that made all the difference in the world. It was suggested that I put in a new battery. I am sure that would have helped also. This just may prolong the life of the battery. Thanks for all the suggestions! Glad that I have it working well now.