Polar 720i or Garmin 305

Fizzy23

Mar 20, 2005
Just that any preferences? Suggestions? Comments?

Looking to buy one or the other.

I don't want to bash Polar but I guess I will anyway. I had a Polar 725 that I had a heck of a time getting to work. The instruction book is hard to figure out and I never could fully understand how to operate the darn thing. I could be just me, but I'm alot happier with a Cateye double wireless. I've never had a Garmin but a friend of mine has one and loves it.

if you ride AT ALL in low light DO NOT get the polar because you can not see the readout, even with the backlight on. it just turns it all a dullish green. well, you can see it a bit but you really have to concentrate for quite a while to see it. which is of course exactly what you want to be doing while checking out your speed going down a hill.

other than that, meh. the polar is decent. has pretty good exercise programs but i think i will look elsewhere next time.

I just got a 720i, it is a pretty good hrm. I agree with the other guy about the backlight. But otherwise I love it, after the initial installation, it a breeze to get going. Also, the awesome computer trainer which shows you ride data on the computer is a great help. I give it 4.5 stars.

pakicyclist said:
I just got a 720i, it is a pretty good hrm. I agree with the other guy about the backlight. But otherwise I love it, after the initial installation, it a breeze to get going. Also, the awesome computer trainer which shows you ride data on the computer is a great help. I give it 4.5 stars.
I just sent my 720i back to Performance. I was never able to get consistant readings. The speedometer was always dropping out no matter how I set up the speed sensor. I've seen lots of good reviews on the 720i, but it just wasn't worth it to me. Great feature set, but very inconsistant.