Polar 720i or Suunto X6HR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andy Kriger

I'm looking for opinions on both of these watches. Both have HR, altitude, temp. Both can record and
download to PC. The Polar is less expensive and can add power/cadence with additional $$$. The
Suunto just plain looks cool (call me petty but that counts for something).

So, I ask you, the jury of gear buying cyclists, what do you think?

"Andy Kriger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The Polar [...] can add power/cadence with additional $$$.

There have been some measurement and reliability issues with the Polar power sensor. I cannot
comment on your other questions, but you might consider excluding this particular feature as a
factor in your decision.

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "Andy Kriger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > The Polar [...] can add power/cadence with additional $$$.
>
> There have been some measurement and reliability issues with the Polar
power
> sensor. I cannot comment on your other questions, but you might consider excluding this particular
> feature as a factor in your decision.
>
Sure, go with the CycloSport HAC 4 Plus, it's a lot cheaper to purchase from the UK or elsewhere in
Europe rather than in the States. It comes with a power function that works pretty well.

The unit is now being used by Lance and his USPS team.

Dashii

"Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:kcgEa.1159542$S_4.1186761@rwcrnsc53...
>
> "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > There have been some measurement and reliability issues with the Polar power sensor.
>
> Sure, go with the CycloSport HAC 4 [...] It comes with a power function that works pretty well.

Hey, didn't we discuss this when you were posting under one of those other names? Anyway, despite
its measurement and reliability problems, the Polar power sensor still appears to produce better
power information than the HAC4. I guess it all depends on how much accuracy and reliability you
expect from these devices. They're really on different orders of magnitude.

>
> "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:kcgEa.1159542$S_4.1186761@rwcrnsc53...
> >
> > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > There have been some measurement and reliability issues with the Polar power sensor.
> >
> > Sure, go with the CycloSport HAC 4 [...] It comes with a power function that works pretty well.
>
> Hey, didn't we discuss this when you were posting under one of those other names? Anyway, despite
> its measurement and reliability problems, the Polar power sensor still appears to produce better
> power information than the HAC4. I guess it all depends on how much accuracy and reliability you
expect
> from these devices. They're really on different orders of magnitude.

Probably true but I wasn't looking for absolute accuracy but repeatable results.

If it will measure the same wattage for the same course on two or more consecutive days then I can
use that wattage as a baseline figure for improvement.

Arigato,

Dashii

"Dashi Toshii" wrote about the Ciclomaster HAC4:
>
> Probably true but I wasn't looking for absolute accuracy but repeatable results.
>
> If it will measure the same wattage for the same course on two or more consecutive days then I can
> use that wattage as a baseline figure for improvement.

Depending on conditions and usage, you can get different wattage readings from almost every power
meter on the same course on two or more consecutive days: the issue is how much difference there is.
One guy on the wattage list related grossly inconsistent errors on his "standard" course with a
HAC4. He exchanged it for a new unit, got grossly inconsistent (and different) errors with the new
unit, and gave up. He said the altimeter worked, though.

I'm guessing LANCE doesn't rely on the HAC4 for power info.

>
> "Dashi Toshii" wrote about the Ciclomaster HAC4:
> >
> > Probably true but I wasn't looking for absolute accuracy but repeatable results.
> >
> > If it will measure the same wattage for the same course on two or more consecutive days then I
> > can use that wattage as a baseline figure for improvement.
>
> Depending on conditions and usage, you can get different wattage readings from almost every power
> meter on the same course on two or more
consecutive
> days: the issue is how much difference there is. One guy on the wattage
list
> related grossly inconsistent errors on his "standard" course with a HAC4.
He
> exchanged it for a new unit, got grossly inconsistent (and different)
errors
> with the new unit, and gave up. He said the altimeter worked, though.
>
> I'm guessing LANCE doesn't rely on the HAC4 for power info.

I think that you are probably right.

Dashii

Status
Not open for further replies.