Polar 720i

rjdirgo

Oct 4, 2003
I am looking at the Polar 720i heart rate monitor. Any feedback would be appreciated.

rjdirgo said:
I am looking at the Polar 720i heart rate monitor. Any feedback would be appreciated.
I have had the Polar S725 (not sure what the difference is) for over a year and it still works flawlessly. The heart rate monitor and speed/distance traveled are pretty much dead on. Very durable too. I ordered mine online from an authorized dealer and saved some $$$$. I figured the LBS emptied my wallet on my bike.:D

I have a 720i and it is great.

Gives more, accurate information than you could ever need and can be paired with Power sensors if you want to spend even more.

It is a great tool to understand your cycling training & racing is a very detailed way.

I have had no problems at all.

deckard said:
I have had the Polar S725 (not sure what the difference is) for over a year and it still works flawlessly. The heart rate monitor and speed/distance traveled are pretty much dead on. Very durable too. I ordered mine online from an authorized dealer and saved some $$$$. I figured the LBS emptied my wallet on my bike.:D

I think the only difference is the "carbon look" on the 725; they're functionally identical. You can sometimes find the 720 on a good sale, that's how I got mine. Great HRM, though Polar is sort of a pain with regards to the software: I lost my install CD, and now they want 10 bucks for a replacement disk instead of just offering a download.

I was given a 725x for my birthday (lucky me, hey??!!), and, while it's fantastic, with a bazillion functions (the altimeter is a bit funny -- I realize it has to be reset before each ride to ensure maximum accuracy) there's no way I'd spend $650 AUS (Fitzroy Cycles, Carnegie) on a heart rate monitor. The computer interface thingy was an extra 80 bucks!! I also have an older Polar A3 which does the job.

tetsuryuu said:
Great HRM, though Polar is sort of a pain with regards to the software: I lost my install CD, and now they want 10 bucks for a replacement disk instead of just offering a download.
Um, they charge 3.50 for shipping and handling. Thats it.

Why should they cover the shipping if YOU lost the one they supplied you with initially? Just curious how that could be a "pain",

the 720i works awesomely well. i picked up mine from my lbs with the cadence and ir free!!! the software took a little bit of playing around but then im not the smartest computor guy around. top marks for it!!!!!

I've got the 710i. Great unit. It's pretty cool to see HR, alt, speed and cadence on the screen after the ride. Altimeter is fine once you adjust to the limitations of barometric measurement (if the weather changes before or during your ride then calibration goes to pot). What I've done is determined the accurate height above sea level for my driveway (from the house plans) and then I can either:

- do the quick calibrate in the driveway at the start of the ride
- (most often) I just use the correction function in the PPP software to adjust everything to my known starting altitude.

I don't use it much anymore after buying a PowerTap SL... if only the PT could transmit to the Polar watch... then I'd have everything I need :D