Polar 725 any different from 720/710 ?

hbaker1

Guest
I looked at the Polar web site for the information about the
new 725, and I can't tell any difference between the 725 and
the 720/710. What am I missing?

It says that it will communicate with the Nokia 5140 phone,
but that phone uses irda, which means that it should have no
trouble communicating with the
720/710, either.

Neither the 725 nor the 5140 have bluetooth, which is
something that early speculation thought they might have.

The newer coded chest strap looks more comfortable, but it
seems to work with any Polar monitor, so it isn't unique
to the 725.

Does anyone have additional info they can share?

The phone runs the precison performance software. The 725
communcates with the phone. The s720(i) has every other
feature of the new and 'improved'
725.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I looked at the Polar web site for the information about
> the new 725, and I can't tell any difference between the
> 725 and the 720/710. What am I missing?
>
> It says that it will communicate with the Nokia 5140
> phone, but that phone uses irda, which means that it
> should have no trouble communicating with the
> 720/710, either.
>
> Neither the 725 nor the 5140 have bluetooth, which is
> something that early speculation thought they might have.
>
> The newer coded chest strap looks more comfortable, but it
> seems to work with any Polar monitor, so it isn't unique
> to the 725.
>
> Does anyone have additional info they can share?

How can the Nokia 5140 phone tell whether it is talking with
a 725 or a 720i if they both use irda?

[email protected] wrote:
> I looked at the Polar web site for the information about
> the new 725, and I can't tell any difference between the
> 725 and the 720/710. What am I missing?
>
> It says that it will communicate with the Nokia 5140
> phone, but that phone uses irda, which means that it
> should have no trouble communicating with the
> 720/710, either.
>
> Neither the 725 nor the 5140 have bluetooth, which is
> something that early speculation thought they might have.
>
> The newer coded chest strap looks more comfortable, but it
> seems to work with any Polar monitor, so it isn't unique
> to the 725.
>
> Does anyone have additional info they can share?

It sounds to me like if Polar had wanted to they could have
achieved exactly the same thing with a 720.

--
Perre

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> How can the Nokia 5140 phone tell whether it is talking
> with a 725 or a 720i if they both use irda?

Because the 720 won't know what to say. Hardware
compatibility is only the beginning...

> On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 20:59:08 +1100, "Paulus"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >The phone runs the precison performance software. The 725
> >communcates
with
> >the phone. The s720(i) has every other feature of the new
> >and 'improved'
> >725.

> ><[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> I looked at the Polar web site for the information
> >> about the new 725, and I can't tell any difference
> >> between the 725 and the 720/710. What am I missing?
> >>
> >> It says that it will communicate with the Nokia 5140
> >> phone, but that phone uses irda, which means that it
> >> should have no trouble communicating with the
> >> 720/710, either.
> >>
> >> Neither the 725 nor the 5140 have bluetooth, which is
> >> something that early speculation thought they might
> >> have.
> >>
> >> The newer coded chest strap looks more comfortable, but
> >> it seems to work with any Polar monitor, so it isn't
> >> unique to the 725.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have additional info they can share?

I wish they'd make a Palm OS app that could download info
directly from the HRM using IrDA, and also could sync with
the desktop software using a Palm conduit. It would be nice
to download workout info into the Palm while traveling, and
then later sync with the desktop app. Given the amount of
memory on new Palm devices (32 mb on the Tungsten C, and the
availability of huge MMC and SD cards, this shouldn't be
difficult to do!

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote:
> > I looked at the Polar web site for the information about
> > the new 725, and I can't tell any difference between the
> > 725 and the 720/710. What am I missing?
> >
> > It says that it will communicate with the Nokia 5140
> > phone, but that phone uses irda, which means that it
> > should have no trouble communicating with the
> > 720/710, either.
> >
> > Neither the 725 nor the 5140 have bluetooth, which
> > is something that early speculation thought they
> > might have.
> >
> > The newer coded chest strap looks more comfortable, but
> > it seems to work with any Polar monitor, so it isn't
> > unique to the 725.
> >
> > Does anyone have additional info they can share?
>
> It sounds to me like if Polar had wanted to they could
> have achieved
exactly
> the same thing with a 720.
>

> --
> Perre
>
> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

There is some Linux open source code that can read 720i
using an irda port. I would imagine that that code could be
ported to the Palm OS and use the Palm irda. That would
allow Palm phones to work with the 720/710/etc. monitors.

I would be willing to pay for some shareware if someone
would do this.

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 23:28:32 GMT, "Doug"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I wish they'd make a Palm OS app that could download info
>directly from the HRM using IrDA, and also could sync with
>the desktop software using a Palm conduit. It would be nice
>to download workout info into the Palm while traveling, and
>then later sync with the desktop app. Given the amount of
>memory on new Palm devices (32 mb on the Tungsten C, and
>the availability of huge MMC and SD cards, this shouldn't
>be difficult to do!
>
>"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:%[email protected]...
>> [email protected] wrote:
>> > I looked at the Polar web site for the information
>> > about the new 725, and I can't tell any difference
>> > between the 725 and the 720/710. What am I missing?
>> >
>> > It says that it will communicate with the Nokia 5140
>> > phone, but that phone uses irda, which means that it
>> > should have no trouble communicating with the
>> > 720/710, either.
>> >
>> > Neither the 725 nor the 5140 have bluetooth, which is
>> > something that early speculation thought they might
>> > have.
>> >
>> > The newer coded chest strap looks more comfortable, but
>> > it seems to work with any Polar monitor, so it isn't
>> > unique to the 725.
>> >
>> > Does anyone have additional info they can share?
>>
>> It sounds to me like if Polar had wanted to they could
>> have achieved exactly the same thing with a 720.
>>
>> --
>> Perre
>>
>> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

Brilliant idea. I'm in! BTW, is the software/firmware in the
720i upgradeable? Seems like it should be simple enough.

Doug wrote:
> I wish they'd make a Palm OS app that could download info
> directly from the HRM using IrDA, and also could sync with
> the desktop software using a Palm conduit. It would be
> nice to download workout info into the Palm while
> traveling, and then later sync with the desktop app. Given
> the amount of memory on new Palm devices (32 mb on the
> Tungsten C, and the availability of huge MMC and SD cards,
> this shouldn't be difficult to do!
>

> "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:%[email protected]...
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> I looked at the Polar web site for the information about
>>> the new 725, and I can't tell any difference between the
>>> 725 and the 720/710. What am I missing?
>>>
>>> It says that it will communicate with the Nokia 5140
>>> phone, but that phone uses irda, which means that it
>>> should have no trouble communicating with the
>>> 720/710, either.
>>>
>>> Neither the 725 nor the 5140 have bluetooth, which
>>> is something that early speculation thought they
>>> might have.
>>>
>>> The newer coded chest strap looks more comfortable, but
>>> it seems to work with any Polar monitor, so it isn't
>>> unique to the 725.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have additional info they can share?
>>
>> It sounds to me like if Polar had wanted to they could
>> have achieved exactly the same thing with a 720.
>>

>> --
>> Perre
>>
>> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

Captain's log. On StarDate Thu, 25 Mar 2004 23:28:32 GMT received comm from
"Doug" <[email protected]> on channel rec.bicycles.tech:

: I wish they'd make a Palm OS app that could download info
: directly from the HRM using IrDA, and also could sync with
: the desktop software using a Palm conduit. It would be
: nice to download workout info into the Palm while
: traveling, and then later sync with the desktop app. Given
: the amount of memory on new Palm devices (32 mb on the
: Tungsten C, and the availability of huge MMC and SD cards,
: this shouldn't be difficult to do!

I would love to be able to download and look at the data to
my Windows Mobile Smartphone (I have just got a new 256MB SD
flash for it). If not already available it could be a future
project for me while trying to learn to program with the
.NET Compact FW...

But even if IR could be used for this I really wish that
Polar would lead the way a and bring us a new device (I
wouldn't really call the 725 new as all the features seems
to be in the Nokia end of things) with Blue Tooth (no more
idiotic and shaky line up of IR devices).

Best regards,

martin törnsten

--
http://82.182.73.126/