Polar 725 speed on MTB?

Claes

Jul 5, 2004
Hi guys, I bought a new MTB, and I have a Polar S725 with speed and cadence sensor for my roadie. Now, I am thinking of buying an extra speed sensor to mount on the MTB too. Figured that cadence is not of such an interest on the mtb anyway.
But, back to the speed sensor, you reckon it will stand up to the abuse of XC riding? I assume it is pricey, since polar stuff is never cheap.

It should work fine....as there isn`t anything moving inside the sensor. In a way, it may also be better as there aren`t any wires to catch/tear.

Jesus Malone said:
It should work fine....as there isn`t anything moving inside the sensor. In a way, it may also be better as there aren`t any wires to catch/tear.
Thanx for the advice, I have checked the price out here in Oz and it is 90 Oz dollars, that is maybe 70 american? Grrr, expensive.

Jesus Malone said:
Hmm, that seems a little expensive. Last time I bought one, it was around $30 US which is reasonable.

Here is one for $40....

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?sku=12097

Check out Ebay or other online auctions. I am sure you can find something around the $30-40 (USD) amount.
Yeah, found one on the web for 35 american, including bike mount. But, I want it now. :) Can not wait. You guys should be really happy because cycling things, well all things, are comparatively increadibly cheap in the US compared to the rest of the world. *sigh*

Claes said:
Hi guys, I bought a new MTB, and I have a Polar S725 with speed and cadence sensor for my roadie. Now, I am thinking of buying an extra speed sensor to mount on the MTB too. Figured that cadence is not of such an interest on the mtb anyway.
But, back to the speed sensor, you reckon it will stand up to the abuse of XC riding? I assume it is pricey, since polar stuff is never cheap.

Claes,

I've had the S710 speed sensor (same sensor as S725?) on my full susser for over a year. It's taken all the mud, sheep sh!t and other crud of the UK no problem. However, if you have the 'auto start' function turned on (records data when wheel moves instead of having to push the big red button) you can end up with it beeping/recording lap times as your forks compress. Turning off 'auto start' stops the annoying beep but you'll still get drop out as the sensor moves too far away from the spoke magnet.

meandmybike said:
Claes,

I've had the S710 speed sensor (same sensor as S725?) on my full susser for over a year. It's taken all the mud, sheep sh!t and other crud of the UK no problem. However, if you have the 'auto start' function turned on (records data when wheel moves instead of having to push the big red button) you can end up with it beeping/recording lap times as your forks compress. Turning off 'auto start' stops the annoying beep but you'll still get drop out as the sensor moves too far away from the spoke magnet.
Ok thanx for that, but you have lost me a bit.
How can the sensor move away from the magnet? I assume you mounted
the sensor on the fork legs, and they do not move in relation to the wheel.

How do you have your sensor set up? If it is set-up on the fork-leg then it should always be aligned with the magnet even if you are running a suspension fork. You can also run most wireless computer sensors on the Cannondale Lefty by putting the magnet on the disc rotor, and sensor near the bottom on the fork leg.

Claes said:
Ok thanx for that, but you have lost me a bit.
How can the sensor move away from the magnet? I assume you mounted
the sensor on the fork legs, and they do not move in relation to the wheel.

I'm running Maverick upside down forks. Apologies, should have mentioned that (doh!).