Polar coded transmitter for S710

Chris

Guest
I have a 710 from the first year they were released. I think it is from 2001
IIRC and I bought it in October (I am certain about that). The belt should
be less than 3 years old and is supposed to last 2500 hours. It is possible
that it is near 2000, but certainly no more than that and likely less. The
watch is only sensing 2 or 3 out of 5 for very large gaps. Is this what
happens when the belt starts to go? The watch battery was replaced about 6
months ago. I have never had one long enough that it needed replacement.
Also, where is the cheapest and fastest place (2 different places if not
both in one) to buy them is US dollars?

TIA

| I have a 710 from the first year they were released. I think it is from
2001
| IIRC and I bought it in October (I am certain about that). The belt should
| be less than 3 years old and is supposed to last 2500 hours. It is
possible
| that it is near 2000, but certainly no more than that and likely less. The
| watch is only sensing 2 or 3 out of 5 for very large gaps. Is this what
| happens when the belt starts to go? The watch battery was replaced about 6
| months ago. I have never had one long enough that it needed replacement.
| Also, where is the cheapest and fastest place (2 different places if not
| both in one) to buy them is US dollars?
|
| TIA

I don't recall the nature of the failure when my first coded transmitter
(used on an X-Trainer Plus) went south.
I'd recommend sending it to the appropriate Polar Service Ctr nearest
you(that location may vary for warranty/ non-warranty work).
They will check, and replace/ exchange the coded transmitter if needed for
$34.95; much less than any purchase price I've ever seen.
My experiences with them have always been good.

ED3

http://www.polarusa.com/service_repair/serverinfo_con.asp

"Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have a 710 from the first year they were released. I think it is from 2001
> IIRC and I bought it in October (I am certain about that). The belt should
> be less than 3 years old and is supposed to last 2500 hours. It is possible
> that it is near 2000, but certainly no more than that and likely less. The
> watch is only sensing 2 or 3 out of 5 for very large gaps. Is this what
> happens when the belt starts to go? The watch battery was replaced about 6
> months ago. I have never had one long enough that it needed replacement.
> Also, where is the cheapest and fastest place (2 different places if not
> both in one) to buy them is US dollars?
>
> TIA

Hay Chris
I've managed to get an extra year or more out of my belts when they
were dying, by squriting KY jelly on the pads, before installing. Yes
KY jelly, no joke.
I've always dealt w/ Creative Health in Plymouth, Mich. They have
always been very straight forward & honest w/ me & given me very
reasonable prices. I highly recomomend them.
Good luck, John

"John McGraw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > I have a 710 from the first year they were released. I think it is from

2001
> > IIRC and I bought it in October (I am certain about that). The belt

should
> > be less than 3 years old and is supposed to last 2500 hours. It is

possible
> > that it is near 2000, but certainly no more than that and likely less.

The
> > watch is only sensing 2 or 3 out of 5 for very large gaps. Is this what
> > happens when the belt starts to go? The watch battery was replaced about

6
> > months ago. I have never had one long enough that it needed replacement.
> > Also, where is the cheapest and fastest place (2 different places if not
> > both in one) to buy them is US dollars?
> >
> > TIA

> Hay Chris
> I've managed to get an extra year or more out of my belts when they
> were dying, by squriting KY jelly on the pads, before installing. Yes
> KY jelly, no joke.

I have seen similar gel products sold for HRM straps and I know that in
medical environments that some types of contacts use a similar gel. When you
say extra year, how long did your last and what is your average week?

I also found this;

http://www.sarkproducts.com/transmitter.htm

and that is the only coded belt with replaceable battery I have ever seen.
Unless I get a really sweet deal on a trade in I will buy that one.

Thanks

> I've always dealt w/ Creative Health in Plymouth, Mich. They have
> always been very straight forward & honest w/ me & given me very
> reasonable prices. I highly recomomend them.
> Good luck, John

"Edward Dike, III" <edd(2+1)[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...

> "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> | I have a 710 from the first year they were released. I think it is from
> 2001
> | IIRC and I bought it in October (I am certain about that). The belt

should
> | be less than 3 years old and is supposed to last 2500 hours. It is
> possible
> | that it is near 2000, but certainly no more than that and likely less.

The
> | watch is only sensing 2 or 3 out of 5 for very large gaps. Is this what
> | happens when the belt starts to go? The watch battery was replaced about

6
> | months ago. I have never had one long enough that it needed replacement.
> | Also, where is the cheapest and fastest place (2 different places if not
> | both in one) to buy them is US dollars?
> |
> | TIA
>
> I don't recall the nature of the failure when my first coded transmitter
> (used on an X-Trainer Plus) went south.
> I'd recommend sending it to the appropriate Polar Service Ctr nearest
> you(that location may vary for warranty/ non-warranty work).
> They will check, and replace/ exchange the coded transmitter if needed for
> $34.95; much less than any purchase price I've ever seen.

That is a great price. I see the belts going for $60 to $75. What is their
turnaround time? I probably need to get a spare belt. I have a spare HRM and
belt, but it is on loan. :>(

> My experiences with them have always been good.
>
> ED3
>
> http://www.polarusa.com/service_repair/serverinfo_con.asp

Thanks

> "Edward Dike, III" <edd(2+1)[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:eek:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > | I have a 710 from the first year they were released. I think it is

from
> > 2001
> > | IIRC and I bought it in October (I am certain about that). The belt

> should
> > | be less than 3 years old and is supposed to last 2500 hours. It is
> > possible
> > | that it is near 2000, but certainly no more than that and likely less.

> The
> > | watch is only sensing 2 or 3 out of 5 for very large gaps. Is this

what
> > | happens when the belt starts to go? The watch battery was replaced

about
> 6
> > | months ago. I have never had one long enough that it needed

replacement.
> > | Also, where is the cheapest and fastest place (2 different places if

not
> > | both in one) to buy them is US dollars?
> > |
> > | TIA
> >
> > I don't recall the nature of the failure when my first coded transmitter
> > (used on an X-Trainer Plus) went south.
> > I'd recommend sending it to the appropriate Polar Service Ctr nearest
> > you(that location may vary for warranty/ non-warranty work).
> > They will check, and replace/ exchange the coded transmitter if needed

for
> > $34.95; much less than any purchase price I've ever seen.

> That is a great price. I see the belts going for $60 to $75. What is their
> turnaround time? I probably need to get a spare belt. I have a spare HRM

and
> belt, but it is on loan. :>(
>
> > My experiences with them have always been good.
> >
> > ED3
> >
> > http://www.polarusa.com/service_repair/serverinfo_con.asp
> >

> Thanks

The new belts from Polar all you have to do is replace the battery. $1.29
and it will interface with your older HRM.
The old belts are good for 2500 hrs, so you're better off replacing the belt
with the newer style.
The HRM is a different story, you have to send those back to Polar.
-tom

"Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

| "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| news:[email protected]...
| >
| > "Edward Dike, III" <edd(2+1)[email protected]> wrote in
message
| > news:eek:[email protected]...
| > >
| > > "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| > > news:[email protected]...
| from
| > > 2001
| > should
| > > possible
| > The
| what
| about
| > 6
| replacement.
| not
| > > |

| > > I don't recall the nature of the failure when my first coded
transmitter
| > > (used on an X-Trainer Plus) went south.
| > > I'd recommend sending it to the appropriate Polar Service Ctr nearest
| > > you(that location may vary for warranty/ non-warranty work).
| > > They will check, and replace/ exchange the coded transmitter if needed
| for
| > > $34.95; much less than any purchase price I've ever seen.
| >
| > That is a great price. I see the belts going for $60 to $75. What is
their
| > turnaround time? I probably need to get a spare belt. I have a spare HRM
| and
| > belt, but it is on loan. :>(
| >
| > > My experiences with them have always been good.
| > >
| > > ED3
| > >
| > > http://www.polarusa.com/service_repair/serverinfo_con.asp
| > >

| > Thanks
| >
| The new belts from Polar all you have to do is replace the battery. $1.29
| and it will interface with your older HRM.
| The old belts are good for 2500 hrs, so you're better off replacing the
belt
| with the newer style.
| The HRM is a different story, you have to send those back to Polar.
| -tom

With my X-trnr Plus, I have at times got it to work after replacing the
receiver battery myself. But I usually send it in as it's only a few bucks
more for them to do it....(turn around has been as short as a week, but
typically within 2 weeks) about once every 1 1/2-2 years for the watch; over
4 years on the transmitter.
Regarding the ...new belts from Polar...: according to what I've read, the
new "WearLink™ " is not waterproof, and does not appear to be as durable as
the T-series transmitters..... "...Replaceable fabric strap with encased
electrodes (Life of strap - 100 washings)..."

http://tinyurl.com/58je6

that would be about a year for me; I don't see a price for the strap/
electrode combo.

Regards,
ED3

"Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "John McGraw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > I have a 710 from the first year they were released. I think it is from

> 2001
> > > IIRC and I bought it in October (I am certain about that). The belt

> should
> > > be less than 3 years old and is supposed to last 2500 hours. It is

> possible
> > > that it is near 2000, but certainly no more than that and likely less.

> The
> > > watch is only sensing 2 or 3 out of 5 for very large gaps. Is this what
> > > happens when the belt starts to go? The watch battery was replaced about

> 6
> > > months ago. I have never had one long enough that it needed replacement.
> > > Also, where is the cheapest and fastest place (2 different places if not
> > > both in one) to buy them is US dollars?
> > >
> > > TIA

> > Hay Chris
> > I've managed to get an extra year or more out of my belts when they
> > were dying, by squriting KY jelly on the pads, before installing. Yes
> > KY jelly, no joke.

> I have seen similar gel products sold for HRM straps and I know that in
> medical environments that some types of contacts use a similar gel. When you
> say extra year, how long did your last and what is your average week?

Hello Chris

3 to 4 rides a week of 2 to 3 hrs. When I say a year I really don't
know. If I say a year, with me it's usually more that a year. Time
seems to go by faster for me. But it might have been only 6 months.
Whatever it was, It's well worth the cost. How I happened onto this
little trick was once I was getting an EKG, & I noticed the gooe that
the nurse was squirting on the pads looked just like KY. Same
viscosity, same everything. This was @ least 15 yrs ago the 1st time I
did it. To this day I have no idea if I was just luckey or if the 2
gooes are really simular. But absolulely it worked.