Polar cr*p

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Claes, Jul 23, 2006.

  1. Claes

    Claes New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2004
    Hi, gotten back to sweden and using my polar 725 here for the first time. Boy, it is so sensitive to "high voltage" lines. My data is completely unusable. What about HR 225 and speeds around 140k for over 2.5k continuous? My old polar, ancient one, was not this sensitive. I thought these new ones were supposed to be better in that regard, with some unique features in that regard. Cr*p is what it is, unless I have f*cked up. Grr.

    Tags:

  2. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    Claes wrote:
    > Hi, gotten back to sweden and using my polar 725 here for the first
    > time. Boy, it is so sensitive to "high voltage" lines. My data is
    > completely unusable. What about HR 225 and speeds around 140k for over
    > 2.5k continuous? My old polar, ancient one, was not this sensitive. I
    > thought these new ones were supposed to be better in that regard, with
    > some unique features in that regard. Cr*p is what it is, unless I have
    > f*cked up. Grr.

    I've got an old one Claes and I see the same thing. Tramlines, high
    voltage power lines, and the local auto electrican van all have he same
    impact.

    daveB

  3. Claes

    Claes New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2004
    Mmm, I do remember having some problems, but this is the same route, on the other hand it is like 10 years ago, so maybe they have more powerlines or something. Anyhow, it is annoying, because the data becomes complete mumbo jumbo. Thanx anyhow, good luck with your tris. I am trying to find some swiw cycle events, since I am not allowed to run, but no luck. Maybe I have to go to a tri, and then just not finish the run.

  4. On 2006-07-24, dtmeister <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I'd imagine if it were a true digital checksummed data transmission, it
    > would not record bogus data. You'd still get data dropouts due to
    > external high power RF interferance, but I'd prefer 0 data (it could do
    > some interpolation for a while though) than the weird 220bpm and 120km/h
    > spikes I see sometimes.

    The other question is whether the RF interference is interfering with
    the data gathering, or the data transmission. If the latter, then yes,
    checksummed data would resolve it. If the former, then you're SOL.

    Anybody have a HR monitor that doesn't transmit data to a physically
    separated unit that could be used for testing this?

    > I'm not sure why they don't already do that? Maybe battery life issues?

    Battery life issues wouldn't be great. Maybe 1% lossage ... hardly worth
    bothering about (especially if you're on a rechargeable unit.)

  5. dtmeister

    dtmeister Guest

    Stuart Lamble <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On 2006-07-24, dtmeister <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> I'd imagine if it were a true digital checksummed data transmission, it
    >> would not record bogus data. You'd still get data dropouts due to
    >> external high power RF interferance, but I'd prefer 0 data (it could do
    >> some interpolation for a while though) than the weird 220bpm and 120km/h
    >> spikes I see sometimes.

    > The other question is whether the RF interference is interfering with
    > the data gathering, or the data transmission. If the latter, then yes,
    > checksummed data would resolve it. If the former, then you're SOL.

    I'd suggest is 99% the latter. Whilst I could imagine a small chance
    that EMI might mess with the strap's data collection, the wheel and
    cadence sensors use simple magnet/reed switch arrangement. It's
    mechanical, and unless you ride in an MRI machine, you should be
    okay. Yet I see bogus data equally from strap and speed sensors. Yeah
    yeah, with sufficient interference, you could still collect garbage
    from those, but I'd suggest it's a not a real world issue.

    Anyway, if you can trust your RF transmission absolutely, you can still
    do much to throw away stupid data collection. All these problems have
    been adequately solved long ago. Think aircraft. It's kind of critical
    to trust certain remote measurements. At a cost of course. If 100% error
    free HRM data is $4000, I'll stick with what I've got.

    (Wonders if's he's covered off all possible nit picks that Stuart might
    come back with. Probably not. :)) )

    --
    ..dt

  6. Claes

    Claes New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2004
    I'd easily buy a "strap" to connect my strap with the polar device, then no interference while on the bike.

    On one part of the ride, I am riding with the powlines from a train, 10 meters away, at wheel height, but there is a concrete wall, less than a metre high. So, the interference does not mess with the speedo, but the HR goes awol.
    So funny though, sometimes HR maxes out, mostly, sometimes it goes down to 0, that is when I am really worried. :) Same with speed.

  7. Claes

    Claes New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2004
    Just went out and bought a sigma 1100, so at least I can get accurate average and max speed. The max speed is very important, as all BR riders know. :)

    So now 725 left of stem on bar, 1100 on stem, and light when so necessary, right of stem on the bar. Starts to look silly really, then two sensors at the fork, two magnets in the wheel. Hmm, silly is the word.

  8. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    Claes wrote:

    > Hi, gotten back to sweden and using my polar 725 here for
    > the first time. Boy, it is so sensitive to "high voltage" lines. My
    > data is completely unusable.

    It's little wonder. Looking at the
    Polar patent, they use pretty crude audio frequency inductive coupling between the transmitter belt and display. It's asking for trouble. I guess they do that to keep the range down, so that the belts don't interfere with one another. I reckon it's about time someone developed an open-standard HR/computer/cadence/whatever protocol, based on something like bluetooth or zigbee, that was designed to be robust.

    Cheers,

    Suzy (RF engineer)

  9. On 2006-07-25, suzyj <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I reckon it's about time someone developed an
    > open-standard HR/computer/cadence/whatever protocol, based on something
    > like bluetooth or zigbee, that was designed to be robust.

    *snort*

    And do you *really* expect Polar, and other manufacturers, to use that
    protocol? Having their own "private" system is an advantage: you're
    locked into their products, and can't buy replacement parts if something
    breaks from another manufacturer.

  10. Claes

    Claes New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2004
    Scrsw standard this and that, I just want something that works ok, in the environment it supposed to be used in. This is so bad I am about to sell it. Imagine, you buy a car, whenever you drive close to a powerline the speedo goes nuts. Oh, sorry office, my speedo was indicating zero so I increased the speed. Eh.

  11. BrettS

    BrettS Guest

    Claes wrote:

    > Stuart Lamble Wrote:
    >
    >>On 2006-07-25, suzyj <[email protected]>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>I reckon it's about time someone developed an
    >>>open-standard HR/computer/cadence/whatever protocol, based on
    >>>something like bluetooth or zigbee, that was designed to be robust.

    >>*snort*
    >>
    >>And do you *really* expect Polar, and other manufacturers, to use that
    >>protocol? Having their own "private" system is an advantage: you're
    >>locked into their products, and can't buy replacement parts if
    >>something
    >>breaks from another manufacturer.
    >>

    > Scrsw standard this and that, I just want something that works ok, in
    > the environment it supposed to be used in. This is so bad I am about to
    > sell it. Imagine, you buy a car, whenever you drive close to a powerline
    > the speedo goes nuts. Oh, sorry office, my speedo was indicating zero so
    > I increased the speed. Eh.

    You want something that works al the time, then do what they do with
    cars. Use wires. Problem solved.

    Multifunctional, accurate, or portable. Pick any two.

    --
    BrettS

  12. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 23:53:22 +1000, Claes wrote:

    > If they can fix it, then polar should be able to fix it too, if the
    > other have the same issue, well then it might just be hard and
    > expensive to solve and then wire is the only option in that type of
    > environment I guess.

    You're not comparing apples with apples. With the computer you've got a
    strong magnetic field closing a switch. This then triggers the sensor to
    send a signal, which can be digitally encoded. That's still susceptible to
    interference, but a lot more reliable. The electrical field has to be
    quite ridiculous to make the sensor think the switch is closed - to the
    point that you wouldn't want to be there (think just about touching the
    high tension cables).

    The HRM *strap* is the problem. It's got to pick out the very weak
    electrical field caused by your heart pumping. If there's much electrical
    interference floating about it can't do that reliably. You could
    conceivably shield the strap, but that'd make it weigh noticeably more.

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    A General Manager who was channeling Captain Bligh only without the

  13. Claes

    Claes New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2004
    I reckon that is a lame answer. They sell the polar as a HR with cycling
    functions, then you would expect it to work well in the environment we normally cycle in, no? Sure wire works, that is what I have put on the bike, but I still reckon the polar one should work better, or simply be more resilient against interference.

    Here is an interesting question.

    Anyone have a wireless speedo sensor to a normal cycling computer, not a polar one. Like a sigma or vdo or cateye.
    How do they work under/near powerlines, do they get the same "fit" or do they cope well wit it and display accurate speed?

    If they can fix it, then polar should be able to fix it too, if the other have the same issue, well then it might just be hard and expensive to solve and then wire is the only option in that type of environment I guess.

  14. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    Claes wrote:

    > Anyone have a wireless speedo sensor to a normal cycling
    > computer, not a polar one. Like a sigma or vdo or cateye.
    >How do they work under/near powerlines, do they get the
    > same "fit" or do they cope well wit it and display accurate
    > speed?

    I've used a VDO C10+ and a Sigmasport BC1200 with the wireless mount. Both are orders of magnitude more reliable than my Polar HR monitor. The only time my wireless speedos have registered incorrect data have been because the battery was going flat (or there was one time I leaned the bike up against a neon sign outside a shop, when my VDO speedo did ~120km/h).

    My HR monitor, on the other hand, goes nuts whenever I ride under powerlines or near train tracks.

    It *is* possible to make the transmission extremely reliable. You can use things like sequence numbers to cope with the occasional lost transmissions. The only problem with this is that the sensor then needs some smarts (more smarts than a simple switch sending a signal, at any rate), so it might cost a dollar or two more.

    Cheers,

    Suzy

  15. endroll

    endroll New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2005
    Hah!my HRM won't transmit/pick-up when too close to my bluetooth mobile.

  16. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    endroll wrote:

    > Claes Wrote:
    > > Hi, gotten back to sweden and using my polar 725 here for the first
    > > time. Boy, it is so sensitive to "high voltage" lines. My data is
    > > completely unusable. What about HR 225 and speeds around 140k for over
    > > 2.5k continuous? My old polar, ancient one, was not this sensitive. I
    > > thought these new ones were supposed to be better in that regard, with
    > > some unique features in that regard. Cr*p is what it is, unless I have
    > > f*cked up. Grr.

    > Hah!my HRM won't transmit/pick-up when too close to my bluetooth
    > mobile.

    My HRM works under all conditions and does not suffer from interference.
    1. Find pulse.
    2. Count beats B over time period T (in seconds).
    3. Convert to heart rate HR=60*B/T.

    Tam

  17. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > endroll wrote:
    > >
    > > Claes Wrote:
    > > > Hi, gotten back to sweden and using my polar 725 here for the first
    > > > time. Boy, it is so sensitive to "high voltage" lines. My data is
    > > > completely unusable. What about HR 225 and speeds around 140k for over
    > > > 2.5k continuous? My old polar, ancient one, was not this sensitive. I
    > > > thought these new ones were supposed to be better in that regard, with
    > > > some unique features in that regard. Cr*p is what it is, unless I have
    > > > f*cked up. Grr.

    > > Hah!my HRM won't transmit/pick-up when too close to my bluetooth
    > > mobile.

    > My HRM works under all conditions and does not suffer from interference.
    > 1. Find pulse.
    > 2. Count beats B over time period T (in seconds).
    > 3. Convert to heart rate HR=60*B/T.

    How well does it log intensity over 5s intervals for a 8 hour ride? :)

    > Tam

  18. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Bleve wrote:

    > Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > > endroll wrote:

    > > > Hah!my HRM won't transmit/pick-up when too close to my bluetooth
    > > > mobile.

    > > My HRM works under all conditions and does not suffer from interference.
    > > 1. Find pulse.
    > > 2. Count beats B over time period T (in seconds).
    > > 3. Convert to heart rate HR=60*B/T.

    > How well does it log intensity over 5s intervals for a 8 hour ride? :)

    No worse than than the Polar HRM that Claes uses, apparently.

    I made a wonderful discovery that I can predict my HR quite accurately
    based on my current breathing pattern and stride rate, when running.
    *sigh* I can breathe easy again, and not worry about chafing. (Yes, even
    soft straps chafe. And yes the word is chafing, not chaffing.)

    Tam

  19. endroll

    endroll New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2005

  20. BrettS

    BrettS Guest

    Claes wrote:

    > BrettS Wrote:
    >
    >>You want something that works al the time, then do what they do with
    >>cars. Use wires. Problem solved.
    >>
    >>Multifunctional, accurate, or portable. Pick any two.
    >>
    >>--
    >>BrettS

    > I reckon that is a lame answer.

    No, you were comparing your Polar to a car's speedo and wondering why
    the car doesn't have the same problems. It's because they don't use
    wireless connections.

    > They sell the polar as a HR with cycling
    > functions, then you would expect it to work well in the environment we
    > normally cycle in, no? Sure wire works, that is what I have put on the
    > bike, but I still reckon the polar one should work better, or simply be
    > more resilient against interference.

    Sure, but remember there are competing priorities, one of which is
    battery life. Should they use a communication method that consumes more
    power *all* the time just to protect against something that occurs a
    very small percentage of the time.

    > Here is an interesting question.
    >
    > Anyone have a wireless speedo sensor to a normal cycling computer, not
    > a polar one. Like a sigma or vdo or cateye.
    > How do they work under/near powerlines, do they get the same "fit" or
    > do they cope well wit it and display accurate speed?

    Anecdotally, I understand that wireless speedos sometimes read 199km/h
    due to the right interference.

    --
    BrettS