Polar CS200CAD

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by rudycyclist, Apr 6, 2006.

1. rudycyclist

rudycyclist New Member

I just bought one and am wondering how everyone else likes theirs? I love mine. It is everything anyone could ever ask for in a computer. It's a bit complicated to get going and everything but it's well worth the bit of complication.

Tags:

2. Cycle2100

Cycle2100 New Member

Great timing on this post. I've been on the fence but today have decided to go with the CS200. Glad you are enjoying it and that it's working well. Hopefully I'll have the same luck. :)

3. sergen

sergen New Member

The cadence sensor and HR worked fine. Speed sensor was DOA. I'm still waiting for my replacement unit to arrive so I'm still on the fence.

4. rule62

rule62 New Member

A friend of mine gave me his entire unit as a better alternative than running over it with his car. I'm glad that I didn't have to pay for it after having used it on my commuter bike over the past several months.

So far I am getting lots of signal drop outs, particularly when I am into or coming out of really hard efforts. These drop-outs must be resulting in data loss and/or bad readings as both are consistently showing up in my recorded results. This is particularyly true in terms of heart rate and mileage data. Polar tech support has been about as helpful as the IRS. They don't seem to respond to email, and are marginally supportive when I or my LBS tech has called. We have gotten a general, 'well this wireless unit just does that,' type of response.

It appears that the unit is particularly sensitive to interference. At first I thought that it could just be mine, but from what I read around the forums, I'm thinking maybe not. My LBS has been fantastic to work with me. They are just around the corner from where I work, so I have dropped in a few times during the day as we have tried to sort out these various issues. They are seeing the same issues with other bikes and in most cases it sounds like people are a lot less willing to work with them to trouble shoot and instead are just returning the units. We've tried dorking around with different receivers, sensors and set up. There is nothing extraordinary about my bike or install. I'm just seeing the issues either way.

I can ride the same ride with my Polar 725 and get a completely different ride profile. Considering that I am riding a static route, under repetitive conditions and intensities it doesn't look to me like they have all the bugs worked on these particular wireless units just yet. Again though, I really do feel like it is more of a sensitivity to interference. My commute is urban and city in nature. I have taken the same bike out on a lake loop and gotten a lot less in terms of drop outs. I can still get them with a big effort, especially when dropping into a fast coast after a big effort, but I definitely don't get as many just riding along data loss episodes.

Results vary. But that's how it has worked out for me. Good luck!

5. Hypnospin

Hypnospin New Member

my speed sensor was doa as well, got a replacement in a hurry from excel cycle sports, bought it from them just in case. btw, the battery in the sensors is replaceable, i'm told, but the things are not made to be opened, and risk breakage if attempted. also, the sensors have to be very close to the magnet to work, this means as in angled inward toward the wheel.

6. starship

starship New Member

Does the CS200 have an odometer? Can is be set to current miles on bike?

7. Eastway82

Eastway82 New Member

I'm happy with mine (see my reply to the other thread about CS200s). Only glitch I've noticed that I didn't think of before is that occasionally, when car overtakes, the cadence momentarily shoots up to 120 or so from a real 90-100. Presumably this is when cars with electronic speedo pickups pass close! I haven't tried it in bunch riding with other wireless users yet, so don't know about interference in those conditions. s others have said - the magnets need to be really close to the sensors to work well – worth checking that (and also making sure the magnet's the right way round) before you start blaming the sensor batteries.

8. aham23

aham23 New Member

Yes, but not thru the actual unit. You get their software and enter the mileage and some other info you want then upload it to the CS200. It works fine. Later.

9. starship

starship New Member

Sure does, My unit came in, and all is working fine!