Polar CS600 Power - First on the Block...

goodboyr said:
There is a trick to adjusting contrast on the unit via the engineering diagnostic menu. Press all 4 outside buttons simultaneously. This will illuminate all the display elements. Then, first press and release the lower left button, then immediately press and release the upper right button. You should have a display that reads "Monitor", "CS05", "CS600-05" on the display. Now you can use the right side buttons to cycle through the various functions. When you get to the menu, go to Self Tests. Look for LCD, I think it's 2nd or 3rd option. Once in, hold Red button and use the +/Upper-right button to increase contrast.
Thanks for that info. I followed your instructions and was able to fix the display contrast problem. Now everything works great.

bamavortex said:
Since Polar fixed my power/cadence unit last year I have had no power of canence problems with my CS600. Power and cadence work all the time with no dropouts anymore, ever. When I first bought mine in Aug 2007 it was always dropping out and was very frustrating. I now have several thousand miles with the repaired unit and everything works great. The only problem I have had was after changing the lithium battery on the display unit a few months ago, the display has remained much dimmer and harder to see. I tried replacing the battery again and it is still dim, but everything is displayed and works. Is there anyway to increase the contrast? Maybe I just got two weak batteries. Anyone else have this problem?

Interesting fix noted to your problem above. Mine has recently started blanking out a bit when I first press the buttons to initiate a ride; the contrast will dim variably, sometimes losing the display altogether, but once it's identified the sensors and is ready to generate data, it works fine. Battery is good. It's very strange, but I guess as long as it doesn't happen during operation, it's not a big deal.

I wonder how the guy who solved your problem knew how to access the service menu?

-J\V

J\V said:
Interesting fix noted to your problem above. Mine has recently started blanking out a bit when I first press the buttons to initiate a ride; the contrast will dim variably, sometimes losing the display altogether, but once it's identified the sensors and is ready to generate data, it works fine. Battery is good. It's very strange, but I guess as long as it doesn't happen during operation, it's not a big deal.

I wonder how the guy who solved your problem knew how to access the service menu?

-J\V
I'd suspect the battery on your head unit is starting to go. I had the same symptoms, and then the battery died. As for how I found out about the service menu?.................I think it was on the forums on www.polar.fi.

goodboyr said:
I'd suspect the battery on your head unit is starting to go. I had the same symptoms, and then the battery died. As for how I found out about the service menu?.................I think it was on the forums on www.polar.fi.

When it first started happening, replacing the battery was the first thing I tried. It continued to dim, and in both cases (both before and after) the battery power showed as 'full' in the dialog box, though I have no idea how accurate the software is.

Thanks!