Polar CS600 Power - First on the Block...

I'd like to thank everyone on this thread for all of the great information. I have been a long time Polar HRM user (running and cycling) and with the help of the great info here recently installed the CS600 with Power. Everything seems to be working well with one exception. I am unable to change the "pace" display on the CS600 from minutes per mile to mph. I don't understand the idiocy of even having such an option on the display.

I have tried the following:
In Pro Trainer I have gone to the Edit Person dialog window, selected units tab and changed the pace setting to mph.
In the same dialog window I have gone to the sports tab, selected cycling, clicked edit and changed pace to mph.
I have changed all possible settings I can find in the CS600 window in Pro Trainer and transfered to the CS600.

I can't find any way to make the change directly on the CS600.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm not very good at converting minutes a mile to mph on the fly!

Thanks.

jeff262 said:
I'd like to thank everyone on this thread for all of the great information. I have been a long time Polar HRM user (running and cycling) and with the help of the great info here recently installed the CS600 with Power. Everything seems to be working well with one exception. I am unable to change the "pace" display on the CS600 from minutes per mile to mph. I don't understand the idiocy of even having such an option on the display.

I have tried the following:
In Pro Trainer I have gone to the Edit Person dialog window, selected units tab and changed the pace setting to mph.
In the same dialog window I have gone to the sports tab, selected cycling, clicked edit and changed pace to mph.
I have changed all possible settings I can find in the CS600 window in Pro Trainer and transfered to the CS600.

I can't find any way to make the change directly on the CS600.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm not very good at converting minutes a mile to mph on the fly!

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure saw that setting in the menus of the cycle computer, so you might want to dig around there. Of note, I wanted to change my display configuration, and looked at the PT5 window for doing so. For some reason, it does not give all of the data options for the middle and lower rows, so I guess this is better done 'manually'.

If you can't find the place in the cycle computer to make that setting, let me know by PM, but I'm sure it's there (and based on the above, I might not bother with PT5 for setting such things).

J\V

warnerjh said:
I'm pretty sure saw that setting in the menus of the cycle computer, so you might want to dig around there.

Or maybe not. I just flipped through the User Manual, and could not find any setting listed for the cycle computer. However, with how bad manuals are these days, it may still be there, buried amongst who know which menu.

As an aside, when you are transferring settings to the cycle computer from PT5, you are staying within the same configuration window, and then immediately hitting the 'Transfer' button, correct? I think this needs to be done for each 'page', as the 'Transfer settings' (or whatever it's called) is only good for that one page, not for all changes one might make on the different 'pages'. Hope that makes sense.

warnerjh said:
Or maybe not. I just flipped through the User Manual, and could not find any setting listed for the cycle computer. However, with how bad manuals are these days, it may still be there, buried amongst who know which menu.

As an aside, when you are transferring settings to the cycle computer from PT5, you are staying within the same configuration window, and then immediately hitting the 'Transfer' button, correct? I think this needs to be done for each 'page', as the 'Transfer settings' (or whatever it's called) is only good for that one page, not for all changes one might make on the different 'pages'. Hope that makes sense.
Thanks. I did not find anything in the manual. I even did a word search in the html version for "pace" and "speed" and found nothing.

You are correct. when I am transferring it I stay within the same window. I went through every setting I could find on the CS600 and even set items I could find back to default with no success. The only locations I can find that changes pace between mph and min/mi is in the person properties dialog box under measurement units and under editing the sports, but I don't see how that is transfered. There is no location for changing in the CS600 dialog box on ProTrainer or on the CS600 directly that I can find. I have emailed Polar with no response. I guess I will have to give them a call. Thanks for your input.

Have any of you had problems with updating the cycling displays using PT5? I can do it manually and get what I want but its time consuming. Everytime I try and do it via PT5, I set up what I want in the window, hit the transfer icon and then when its done updating all of my settings are wrong. It will still display what I wanted on PT5, but the CS600 has something else for the displays, particually power is always replaced by cadence, so I end up with cadence twice in the bottom of each display, instead of power and cadence in its little box.

Thanks for all the info on here though, it made setting the system up much easier for me. It will take some adjusting too but so far I like it.

PolishPostal said:
Tom - Did you find those photos of your setup?

Yep...and I posted them here:

http://biketechreview.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1429&start=25

...and I guess I'll do them here too.

OK...I've had some time to take some pics of my setup. Here's the "overall" view:

2z86r2b.jpg

Here's the top view:

344p4kx.jpg

Here's a closeup of the derailluer cable routing:

4fzd3yq.jpg

..and another:

4icb7rn.jpg

And finally, a pic of the setup on my other bike, where you get to see my favorite mount material...automotive fuel line!:

2lk5o5j.jpg

I have broken the one off the three lugs off the Polar cs600 that has to hook on the base.

I have been glue the small piece back but I don’t trust it, for sour very soon I go to louse it on my way

I don’t now what to do …..

What is the size of the power unit ?

I'm really considering buying one but I don't think the build of my bike is suitable.

I drive a Koga Myiata with campa record compact 50-34 with 12-27

Some thoughts ?

stevevinck said:
What is the size of the power unit ?

I'm really considering buying one but I don't think the build of my bike is suitable.

I drive a Koga Myiata with campa record compact 50-34 with 12-27

Some thoughts ?
New sensor is only about 14 cm long, and distance off cadence magnet mark to the point on sensor’s back which is important to the chain, is less than 7 cm.
I think it's OK.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/?op=list&function=myphotos&photouserid=169101

jeff262 said:
Thanks. I did not find anything in the manual. I even did a word search in the html version for "pace" and "speed" and found nothing.

You are correct. when I am transferring it I stay within the same window. I went through every setting I could find on the CS600 and even set items I could find back to default with no success. The only locations I can find that changes pace between mph and min/mi is in the person properties dialog box under measurement units and under editing the sports, but I don't see how that is transfered. There is no location for changing in the CS600 dialog box on ProTrainer or on the CS600 directly that I can find. I have emailed Polar with no response. I guess I will have to give them a call. Thanks for your input.
Update to the latest software on Polars website and it will take care of the Pace/Speed issue...:)

Shawneebiker said:
Update to the latest software on Polars website and it will take care of the Pace/Speed issue...:)

I have the latest build and it does not solve the problem. Today I recieved the following message (in Finglish) from Polar in Finland. It looks like they know it is an issue and will be solved on the next build. I must have altered the standard setting somehow when I did the setup and now I am stuck with it until the next software rev! At least after three weeks and three threatening emails I recieved an answer.

From Polar
"Thank you for your email sent to the Polar Global Customer Support.

This issue wil be fixed in the next software update i.e. the speed can be seen in km/h > send Product page settings to set the CS600 back to km/h or mph.

Thank you for reporting this to us and I'm sorry about the
inconvenience this might have caused you.

Best Regards,
Global Helpdesk/Riitta
Polar Electro Oy
Finland

Hello,

I need your help on how I can set the chain weight and chain length off Dura Ace Chain 10 speed with out to take the chain off

It is 106 links.

My current settings is 278gr and 1346 for length...what do you think

Thank you

manos said:
Hello,

I need your help on how I can set the chain weight and chain length off Dura Ace Chain 10 speed with out to take the chain off

It is 106 links.

My current settings is 278gr and 1346 for length...what do you think

Thank you

I highly recommend taking the chain off and weighing the chain on a scale that reads out to a resolution of 1 gram and enter that number for the weight. Anything else is just guessing. If you're worried about not being able to reuse the pin, or not having the tool to press a new one in, just remove a full link and replace it with a master link. There are many options for that, plus it makes it much easier to take the chain on and off.

For your 106 link length, the calculation is 106 x 12.7mm = 1346 mm.

manos said:
Thank you for your answers,

I go to tray that tomorrow …

Tom is right 100%. Weight the chain. Likewise be sure to measure your drop out to BB length carefully.

Just a quick note, I had initially reported issues with getting the cadence sensor/magnet to work consistently, and while riding this weekend, I finally nailed down the actual problem. While riding, the cadence dropped out (and thus the power did not show, either), and it occurred the instant I hit a bump. I've been assuming all along that the issue was in the chain tension/cadence sensor or cadence magnet. After it dropped out that last time, I decided I wasn't getting off my bike and trying to futz with the placement of the cadence pickup yet again, so instead I 'flicked' the head unit (the cycle computer/display). It instantly turned right back on, and (finally) determined that the problem is a flaky computer, not the sensors.

New one is on the way, Performance is taking this one back as defective. :mad: