Polar CS600 Power - First on the Block...

A quick update to my previous posts regarding changing the pace to mph setting on the CS600. Polar was correct about the new software update solving the problem. A few days ago they released an update to ProTrainer (5.10.124). I loaded it and after doing my first transfer was pleased to see the problem solved. I did not see any specific area to make the change in the new version, but after the transfer the problem was corrected.

jeff262 said:
I have the latest build and it does not solve the problem. Today I recieved the following message (in Finglish) from Polar in Finland. It looks like they know it is an issue and will be solved on the next build. I must have altered the standard setting somehow when I did the setup and now I am stuck with it until the next software rev! At least after three weeks and three threatening emails I recieved an answer.

From Polar
"Thank you for your email sent to the Polar Global Customer Support.

This issue wil be fixed in the next software update i.e. the speed can be seen in km/h > send Product page settings to set the CS600 back to km/h or mph.

Thank you for reporting this to us and I'm sorry about the
inconvenience this might have caused you.

Best Regards,
Global Helpdesk/Riitta
Polar Electro Oy
Finland

I have seen no problems using the CS600 with WKO+, I have been using them together for several weeks.

warnerjh said:
Just a quick note, I had initially reported issues with getting the cadence sensor/magnet to work consistently, and while riding this weekend, I finally nailed down the actual problem. While riding, the cadence dropped out (and thus the power did not show, either), and it occurred the instant I hit a bump. I've been assuming all along that the issue was in the chain tension/cadence sensor or cadence magnet
I've also reported some drop outs before. At first I thought it was from interference from power lines since that's where it happened the first couple of times. But the problem got worse. Some days it did pretty good, some days not. The drop outs could occur at any time but they were more likely to happen when hitting bumps and often it was really slow to pick up after coasting.

The longest drop out I've had was probably 5 minutes. But that was rare. But it was quite common that it would take up to 30 seconds to pick up after coasting.

I turned it in to Polar. Now it should be fixed. I haven't tried it yet though. The problem is known to Polar (at least HQ) . Apparently something in the surfboard may come loose and cause this. I think they added some padding inside the surfboard to fix it. While it would be nice to not have any problems at all, I'm still pretty pleased that I only had to part from my powermeter for one day.

jstock said:
I've also reported some drop outs before. At first I thought it was from interference from power lines since that's where it happened the first couple of times. But the problem got worse. Some days it did pretty good, some days not. The drop outs could occur at any time but they were more likely to happen when hitting bumps and often it was really slow to pick up after coasting.

The longest drop out I've had was probably 5 minutes. But that was rare. But it was quite common that it would take up to 30 seconds to pick up after coasting.

I turned it in to Polar. Now it should be fixed. I haven't tried it yet though. The problem is known to Polar (at least HQ) . Apparently something in the surfboard may come loose and cause this. I think they added some padding inside the surfboard to fix it. While it would be nice to not have any problems at all, I'm still pretty pleased that I only had to part from my powermeter for one day.

I'll be curious to see if it's actually fixed. I'm still having some issues getting my new one to work consistently, still tweaking with the install. For some reason it was very reliable on my Trek 5200, and it's proving difficult on my new S-Works Tarmac SL.

Just trying to sort this all out. I am looking at the CS600 to replace my 720 and now trashed power unit for it. I am a Mac user, so any software updates from Polar are useless to me. Is there or is there not a way to change the pace to speed issue from the CS600 unit it self with out having to use the Polar software on a PC?>
Thanks

warnerjh said:
I'll be curious to see if it's actually fixed..
The answer is: probably. I did a 2 hour ride today without any weird dropouts. When riding next to the railway tracks I did not get any data. But Since this has happend from day one with the cs600, I guess that it is more sensitive to electro magnetic interference than the 7xx power module. So while I can't say for certain that Polar fixed my problem it's at least very likely. The last week I before handing it over to Polar I had vey frequent drop outs. I'll let you know if my problems come back.

FYI, I finally got a ride in on the replacement unit (which, BTW, had a very different serial number). It performed flawlessly, even though I was not sure about the setup at the time. For some reason, having it on the stand and pedaling the thing only intermittently made it work, but while riding it was fine. Not sure why this is (maybe no HR received makes it flaky?), but it could prove to make setup more difficult than it needs to be.

We'll see how it goes after a few longer rides.

Just a general question, how is the CS600 computer for speed and cadence using the WIND technology? Does it work well? any drop-outs? I'm not planning on using the power paddle.

cPritch67 said:
Just a general question, how is the CS600 computer for speed and cadence using the WIND technology? Does it work well? any drop-outs? I'm not planning on using the power paddle.

You mean, other than the cadence dropouts both 'jstock' and I reported above? Other than that, perfect. :)

Sorry you are out of luck. There is no other way according to Polar. You may want to find a PC to load Pro Trainer into, update it to the latest version and then set up and transfer settings. There is no specific settings for it in ProTrainer. I just noticed after I did my first transfer with the new version the problem was corrected.

MOlenick said:
Just trying to sort this all out. I am looking at the CS600 to replace my 720 and now trashed power unit for it. I am a Mac user, so any software updates from Polar are useless to me. Is there or is there not a way to change the pace to speed issue from the CS600 unit it self with out having to use the Polar software on a PC?>
Thanks

can the mounting bracket be mounted on the handlebar? As in the orientation of the CS600 can be set for both handlebar and the stem ?

warnerjh said:
You mean, other than the cadence dropouts both 'jstock' and I reported above? Other than that, perfect. :)

warner, i apologize, i thought i had "caught up" on this thread but I must have missed some posts. I saw the complaints about the power paddle. I'll re-review the entire thread.
On my old Polar (720), I mounted the cadence sensor on the downtube, is that the same with the WIND or can you place it on the chainstay (more out of the way)?

Mankul said:
can the mounting bracket be mounted on the handlebar? As in the orientation of the CS600 can be set for both handlebar and the stem ?

Mankul
I don't own one, but the documentation states either bar or stem is ok. The shape of the mount is concave - (or is it convex), to form around the roundness of a bar or stem.

I had a computer mount question as well, I went to my LBS to look at a CS600 in person and they only carried the CS100 and CS200, which I believe uses the same mount - my question is has anyone had any problems with the mount staying inside the zip ties? I was surpised that there wasnt a "loop" built into the mount that you could slide the zip ties through. The mount I saw only had little "wings" that held the zip tie and mount in place.

jstock said:
With the CS600 heart rate and speed seem rock solid but power and cadence sometimes drop to zero at the same places where heart rate on the 720 was acting up. Also the battery compartment seems to be a bit problematic. On one of my rides I have some "pavé style" speed bumps that may be the culprit. Before I did that ride I did not have any problems. But now it seems to be a good idea to, before heading off, make sure that the batteries are really connected.
jstock
does the CS600 WITH POWER unit, use the Power paddle for the cadence as well as power OR do you have to buy the separate Cadence sensor / xmitter?

edit...
I think I understand this now, after searching on the Polar site. If you use the CS600 with the Power paddle - the paddle has the ability to acquire power, cadence and speed?
If I am interested in the CS600, without the Power option, then I need to use the Cadence sensor and the Speed sensor (individual sensors). Does that seem accurate?

Correct, the power sensor has its own built in cadence pickup. Its on the forward end of the power sensor.

If you were going to use it without the power sensor then you would need a cadence sensor to get cadence.

The mount is made so that it would mount to the handlebar or stem, and so far it seems pretty stable to me. It takes a couple of times of "clicking" the computer in and out to make it less difficult but overall I am happy with the computer mount.

kytyree said:
If you were going to use it without the power sensor then you would need a cadence sensor to get cadence.
kytyree
Thanks for the confirmation. Do you know if you can mount the cadence sensor on the chainstay as opposed to the downtube? I was thinking with the improved WIND (2.4) technology that the extra distance wouldn't be a problem.
I assume you can since the power paddle is on the chainstays and it has a stong enough signal to reach the computer unit.
Any experience with this?

Well I bit the bullet and purchased the CS600 with power to replace my trashed 720. Rode it for the first time today and all seemed well except for the usual Polar HR problem with wind or when going downhill. The HR always jumps abot 100 to 120 BPM. Has anyone ever come with a solution to this, besides maybe wrapping my chest with duct tape. The manual says to wet the chest monitor with water. Has anyone every used an electode cream with the new coded transmitters? I used the Bum-bump cream with my other HR monitors. I still had the fluctuation, but it might be better than water.

On the bike I have set up with only cadence and speed I have mine mounted on the chainstay. I ride pretty tiny frames (52cm or less) so its not like I stretch the distance much but I think the chainstay is where Polar shows it being mounted anyway.

I have had the speed sensor mounted up both on the the fork and on a seatstay with no problem. There is something in their horrible directions about not mounting the speed sensor on on a seatstay if you are using the powermeter but I think that is to prevent people from finding out the battery pack takes up most of the room because you have to leave room between it and your brakes so that you can get the batteries out.

I believe the HRM signal is good out to 10m not sure about the other sensors. Polar is concerned enough about the strength of the signal to have a note in the book about not teaching the computer new sensors with other bikes around.

MOlenick said:
Well I bit the bullet and purchased the CS600 with power to replace my trashed 720. Rode it for the first time today and all seemed well except for the usual Polar HR problem with wind or when going downhill. The HR always jumps abot 100 to 120 BPM. Has anyone ever come with a solution to this, besides maybe wrapping my chest with duct tape. The manual says to wet the chest monitor with water. Has anyone every used an electode cream with the new coded transmitters? I used the Bum-bump cream with my other HR monitors. I still had the fluctuation, but it might be better than water.
funny i have never had that problem. Just a bit of spit on the sensor pads before I put it on and off I go. The only time it tends to play up is when the battery is getting low.