Polar CS600 Power - First on the Block...

warnerjh said:
If I remember correctly, I think I just copied the entire CD contents to a USB drive, copied it to the drive and installed it from there. If that doesn't work, maybe download it from the internet? I can't remember if I ever found it, I may not have.

Good luck.
Thanks. I did manage to get the files copied to the harddrive and installed. (I think). If you don't mind me asking, "How the hell did you ever get this thing to work?" I am pretty sure our setups are similar, Virtual PC 7.02 and Windows 98 on OS X. I've tried every port in the Preference file with no luck. Either the Port can't be open, or it fails to communicate with the CS600. I don't want to turn this into a Virtual PC forum, but I am ready to punt the whole mess. I am computer savy, but this has me at a loss.
Thanks to anyone who can help.

Well finally got my CS600 and I must say I dont understand how come everyone thinks its hard to set up.

Took me about 30-40 min and have not had a single problem either on the road or on a trainer. Far more reliable then my old S720i, especially when it comes to interference with the HR.

Love the new software and how you can create training sessions. :)

jcjordan said:
Well finally got my CS600 and I must say I dont understand how come everyone thinks its hard to set up.

Took me about 30-40 min and have not had a single problem either on the road or on a trainer. Far more reliable then my old S720i, especially when it comes to interference with the HR.

I have to agree that it's pretty easy to set up....when it works. Unfortunately my power unit was faulty right out of the box and the time I spent on setup was wasted since I had to remove everything to send it back for a replacement.

jcjordan said:

jcjordan, what component group are you using? I swear this thing doesn't work with the Dura Ace 7800 set. I'm ready to smash mine against the wall. The power paddle that is. I think my chain speed sensor keeps going out on me.

robd2 said:
jcjordan, what component group are you using? I swear this thing doesn't work with the Dura Ace 7800 set. I'm ready to smash mine against the wall. The power paddle that is. I think my chain speed sensor keeps going out on me.

I am using it on the Ultegra 6600 on a 2002 Trek 5200. I would point out that you really need to be careful on how you place the power sensor unit. The getting of the centre dot in the middle of the stay does seem to alow some give, but getting the stack hight right is essential. dont worry that the chain gets pulled to the unit when its sitting still, that just means that its well within the sensor range.

jcjordan said:
I am using it on the Ultegra 6600 on a 2002 Trek 5200. I would point out that you really need to be careful on how you place the power sensor unit. The getting of the centre dot in the middle of the stay does seem to alow some give, but getting the stack hight right is essential. dont worry that the chain gets pulled to the unit when its sitting still, that just means that its well within the sensor range.
Thanks for the info. So here is my problem. I have a 2005 CDale 613 with a Dura Ace group. I’ve attempted the install with two separate CS600s. The first I returned as damaged. I mount everything perfectly, testing as I go. Everything will work great for about 5 minutes then I lose all cadence and power data. Originally I get the flashing red and green lights indicating all is good but I end up with only the green cadence indicator flashing. It seems like no matter how much I now adjust the power paddle or the chain speed sensor, I get absolutely nothing from it. I must be doing something wrong because this is now the second unit that has had the same problem. The computer can detect the power sensor perfectly. Can I ask how far is your small chain speed sensor from the chain? Is it possible for something like the spokes to confuse the power paddle?

MOlenick said:
Thanks. I did manage to get the files copied to the harddrive and installed. (I think). If you don't mind me asking, "How the hell did you ever get this thing to work?" I am pretty sure our setups are similar, Virtual PC 7.02 and Windows 98 on OS X. I've tried every port in the Preference file with no luck. Either the Port can't be open, or it fails to communicate with the CS600. I don't want to turn this into a Virtual PC forum, but I am ready to punt the whole mess. I am computer savy, but this has me at a loss.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

First of all, can you verify within VirtualPC and/or W98 that the IR unit is functioning properly on the system side?

Second, is the unit's IR windo within an inch or so of the IR port?

Third, and this is off the top of my head, are you certain that you have selected the correct 'setting' on the VirtualPC side? I'm running v4.03, so it probably looks way different. Also, within the Polar software, you have to select the USB port that it's plugged into, no hubs, direct connection is best.

If none of this works for you e-mail me, and then I can try to sit down with VPC open and confirm the settings it had.

Good luck,

J

robd2 said:
Thanks for the info. So here is my problem. I have a 2005 CDale 613 with a Dura Ace group. I’ve attempted the install with two separate CS600s. The first I returned as damaged. I mount everything perfectly, testing as I go. Everything will work great for about 5 minutes then I lose all cadence and power data. Originally I get the flashing red and green lights indicating all is good but I end up with only the green cadence indicator flashing. It seems like no matter how much I now adjust the power paddle or the chain speed sensor, I get absolutely nothing from it. I must be doing something wrong because this is now the second unit that has had the same problem. The computer can detect the power sensor perfectly. Can I ask how far is your small chain speed sensor from the chain? Is it possible for something like the spokes to confuse the power paddle?

This is the EXACT issue I've had with two different units (with very different serial numbers), on two different bikes, running both 7700 and 7800. One person here on the forums reported bringing his (similar) unit directly to Polar Finland to have his power sensor fixed under warranty right after getting it. I think he said they indicated that something was loose inside of it, and was repaired, but I don't recall if he ever reported back to confirm that it was repaired adequately.

I think they have a QC problem on these power sensors, because the dropouts I've seen are totally random, yet sometimes caused by large vibrations (i.e. hitting a pothole, for example). I know it has nothing to do with the installation, because it has worked flawlessly for hours on end in the beginning, only to develop the issue all of a sudden, after which it persists.

Call Polar Support, they've been very good lately. And, most of all, report back here what you find out.

Good luck.

-J

I should point out that I am running a Dura Ace Chain, they last longer then Ultegra.

I have the chain sensor about 1 mm when I have it in the small/small as per the book. This can be quite hard to judge as the chain keeps getting pulled to the sensor, if you turn the crank you get a better idea of distance

warnerjh said:
One person here on the forums reported bringing his (similar) unit directly to Polar Finland to have his power sensor fixed under warranty right after getting it. I think he said they indicated that something was loose inside of it, and was repaired, but I don't recall if he ever reported back to confirm that it was repaired adequately.
I guess you may be refering to me. My unit is still not rock solid, but much better now. Before turning it in to Polar it dropped out a lot. After the "fix" I've experienced 4 incidents. One time it dropped out for about 5 minutes while riding close to a train track, so it might have been interference. One time it dropped out for a few minutes after hitting a pot hole really hard. Two times it has failed to start at all. Both times I stopped after a minute or so and it worked as soon as I started again. I've done about 800 kms on it after the "fix". The pothole incident was for sure related to the known problem, the others may have been something else. Of course there may have been drop outs that I haven't noticed.

If I recall correctly there is a post by Per Elmsäter at wattage detailing what serial numbers are affected by the known bug.

Regarding DA, I can't see how that could have anything to do with it (I'm running DA).

I'm running Dura ace and with Polar CS 600+power for about 4200 KM and everything works perfect !

warnerjh said:
First of all, can you verify within VirtualPC and/or W98 that the IR unit is functioning properly on the system side?

Second, is the unit's IR windo within an inch or so of the IR port?

Third, and this is off the top of my head, are you certain that you have selected the correct 'setting' on the VirtualPC side? I'm running v4.03, so it probably looks way different. Also, within the Polar software, you have to select the USB port that it's plugged into, no hubs, direct connection is best.

If none of this works for you e-mail me, and then I can try to sit down with VPC open and confirm the settings it had.

Good luck,

J
Yes to all. When I open up the IR control panel it does see "Polar CS600" as a IR device near by.
I have tried holding the unit anywhere from 1cm to 8cm away.
I am not sure what you mean by the correct 'setting'.
I have tried it directly plugged into the USB slot on the front of my G5, and have tried every port on the Polar software from IR to COM 9. IR and USB try to connect, but fail to after 5 or 6 minutes. All the COM ports, say the port could not be opened.
Thanks

MOlenick said:
Yes to all. When I open up the IR control panel it does see "Polar CS600" as a IR device near by.
I have tried holding the unit anywhere from 1cm to 8cm away.
I am not sure what you mean by the correct 'setting'.
I have tried it directly plugged into the USB slot on the front of my G5, and have tried every port on the Polar software from IR to COM 9. IR and USB try to connect, but fail to after 5 or 6 minutes. All the COM ports, say the port could not be opened.
Thanks

The last thing I can think of off the top of my head: When you are ready to Connect, just hit the bottom right button once, only. If I'm remembering correctly, it's like the 720i in that after you hit the button once, what comes up on the display might suggest you need to hit the button again. Don't.

I don't have the unit with me here at work so I can't give you the exact details, but the bottom line is don't hit any buttons beyond the first 'Connect' screen, even if it seems like you should.

That's all I got.

warnerjh said:
The last thing I can think of off the top of my head: When you are ready to Connect, just hit the bottom right button once, only. If I'm remembering correctly, it's like the 720i in that after you hit the button once, what comes up on the display might suggest you need to hit the button again. Don't.

I don't have the unit with me here at work so I can't give you the exact details, but the bottom line is don't hit any buttons beyond the first 'Connect' screen, even if it seems like you should.

That's all I got.
Thanks for your help. Still no luck. The app just freezes. Right now I take the unit to work, download it and then email the file to my computer at home. Seems like the solution to go with as of now.
My neighbor is Windows solution provider. Maybe after a few martinis on the fourth I can get him to come over and check it out.
Thanks again for your help.
FYI, other than this glitch, the CS600 has worked fine for me. Easy installation. I had the 720I with the older power sensor before. Miles and miles of wire. The only issues I have, and have with all my Polar products, is in any kind of wind, headwind, fast downhills, etc., I still get high heart rate readings. Thought that might have been fixed with the new transmitter, but not for me.

MOlenick said:
The app just freezes.

Oh, I didn't catch that part of it. Does the app freeze only when trying to download? You've got the most current version? If yes to both, have you tried a complete uninstall/resinstall? Sounds like an issue with the app, not the IR.

jstock said:
If I recall correctly there is a post by Per Elmsäter at wattage detailing what serial numbers are affected by the known bug.
I was curious about this as I had an early unit so I hunted down the post concerning serial numbers. Mine falls into this range as week 12 but so far has been performing fine.

Post in Wattage:

All units that are manufactured week 15 or earlier this year may need to be upgraded. It was a real quick upgrade for me since I live 10 minutes away. This can be seen on the serial number. It will start with something like
C706L...........
The seven stands for 2007 and 06 for week 6. So all serials starting with C715 or lower may need the upgrade,

jeff262 said:
The seven stands for 2007 and 06 for week 6. So all serials starting with C715 or lower may need the upgrade,

Thanks for that.

warnerjh said:
Thanks for that.

Hi all,

Just got my unit, had some right trouble with it, but it was only the cadence magnet provided not reaching the pickup on the unit, I had to do a bit of modding to get it to reach, but now it all works great and I get light pickups too. If the cadence doesn't pick up, nothing will work!

Dimboy said:
Hi all,

Just got my unit, had some right trouble with it, but it was only the cadence magnet provided not reaching the pickup on the unit, I had to do a bit of modding to get it to reach, but now it all works great and I get light pickups too. If the cadence doesn't pick up, nothing will work!

If the cadence doesn't pick up, the power and cadence don't work, everything else does work (speed, HR, alt). Don't be surprised if it starts getting flaky after a couple of hundred miles, seems like the norm. Good luck, hopefully Polar has figured this out in later batches.