Polar CS600 Power Sensor confusion

jechilt

Mar 29, 2007
Please help!!! I am confused.

I am a bit confused with the Polar CS600 Power Output unit.

During the install, there are instructions to mount the cadence magnet and on the power unit (the work cadence is on it). The instruction manual does not explain what this particular cadence is for.
What I "think" I understand is if you have the power unit and you want to take advantage of the cadence functions in the CS600 computer, you have to get the additional cadence sensor (which I got). So, now I got two "cadence sensors"?

When I look at the features list on the PolarUSA site, it shows
<snip>
Cadence-based target zones with visual and audible alarm
optional with Cadence WIND/ Power WIND sensor Power-based target zones with visual and audible alarm
Opt. with Power Output
<end snip>
In addtion, the polarUSA site says that the cadence is built-in.
<snip>
The Polar Power Output Sensor W.I.N.D. also has a built-in cadence sensor.
<end snip>
Is this description stating there are 2 types of power output sensors? One is a Power Output and the other is a Cadence/Power (combined) sensor?

When I read through the manuals, it shows to set up cadence with the Power sensor, but then when you get to the cadence section, it says to refer to the cadence sensor instructions, indicating there should be a cadence sensor.

When I attempt to set the cadence sensor with just the power unit, the CS600 says it can't find a cadence sensor. When I put on the additional cadence sensor, the CS600 finds it. Confused? I am...

The question is: Is the cadence sensor on the power sensor truly for cadence? If so, I don't need the additional cadence sensor?

I must admit I am not the brightest lad in the crowd and the cadence part of the power unit has me confused.

Any info concerning this would be great!

jechilt said:
Please help!!! I am confused.

The question is: Is the cadence sensor on the power sensor truly for cadence? If so, I don't need the additional cadence sensor?

I must admit I am not the brightest lad in the crowd and the cadence part of the power unit has me confused.

Any info concerning this would be great!

The cadence sensor is built in to the power sensor (the 'surfboard' looking thing), and thus you do not need the aftermarket cadence sensor, which is effectively only for the non-power version of the CS600.

FWIW, I had some cadence issues with the first unit I had, and returned it. When the cadence drops out, you no longer get power data, either, although this may be indicative of the possibility that the problem is the transmission from the power sensor (which transmits both power and cadence data). The actual cause of the error still remains to be seen, though one user in the Power Forum reports having his 'surfboard' replaced (by Polar Finland) for a similar issue...

Today, i had my first ride with the unit and had 2 major dropouts.
I got home and repositioned the unit closer to the chain and used a rubber spacer to move the magnet closer for the cadence. It seems to be working now.

I had the additional cadence unit on the bike and programmed the CS600 to use the optional cadense sensor, but when there was no power, there was no cadenence. I guess I will remove the additional cadence since the power unit has the cadence built-in. Dang...sure wish the PolarUSA site was more clear about the cadence being built in!

In any case, I like it so far!

Thanks for your response :)

I couldn't agree more with these posts. The Polar manuals are terrible and ambiguous. My issue is that even though the cadence sensor is built in to the CS600 power sensor, I am never able to "teach" or "recognize" the cadence feature. I have had my unit fro about 2 months now and the cadence drops out 50% of the time. I have owned Polar power Sensors for 4 years and I have installed them too many times to count. I got the CS600 at a discount from polar because I had sent my older unit back so many times. I am now getting to the point of total frustration. I fyou want power go with another solution. The CS600 works great on my mtn bike but I am not using power. You would think Polar would have their act together. Oh well.

Ckennel said:
I couldn't agree more with these posts. The Polar manuals are terrible and ambiguous. My issue is that even though the cadence sensor is built in to the CS600 power sensor, I am never able to "teach" or "recognize" the cadence feature. I have had my unit fro about 2 months now and the cadence drops out 50% of the time. I have owned Polar power Sensors for 4 years and I have installed them too many times to count. I got the CS600 at a discount from polar because I had sent my older unit back so many times. I am now getting to the point of total frustration. I fyou want power go with another solution. The CS600 works great on my mtn bike but I am not using power. You would think Polar would have their act together. Oh well.

I must have got the golden egg unit. I have had no problems with mine on my road bike. Cadence and power always work. It took some adjustments to get the power unit in the right position. The entire summer, I have not had 1 problem...

Early models had problems, everything released in the US is good.

If you have a dropout issue it was pre shipments.

Power and cadence work fine for me. Speed Sensor worked only for one trip and then stopped working. Tried the teach sensor option, no luck. Contacted Polar and they're sending out a new one as soon as i send the broken one back. They promised to have the new one to me with 24 hrs. can't complain.