Polar CS600 Speed Sensor

jechilt

Mar 29, 2007
Is there a preferred location to put the polar cs600 speed sensor?
I have seen pictures of the sensor on the rear wheel. The instructions say to put it on the front fork but it does not say where.
Example...my wife's bike sensor has to be X distance from the inside edge of the rim. The Polar unit does not say anything. Is there any specific measurement for proper location of the sensor?

any helpful advise would be great!

thanks!

The sensors for the 600 are 2.4ghz. The frequency has been tested and in an open field I can probably pull 50 or so yards out of it.

In short, it doesn't matter where on the bike you set it up.
Just get the wheel size dialed in nicely with a rollout of the tire and you are all set.

impakt said:
The sensors for the 600 are 2.4ghz. The frequency has been tested and in an open field I can probably pull 50 or so yards out of it.

In short, it doesn't matter where on the bike you set it up.
Just get the wheel size dialed in nicely with a rollout of the tire and you are all set.
impakt,
thanks for the response. The pics I saw of the unit on the rear is pretty nice. you think it is worth putting on the rear wheel instead of the front?
I figure to put the magnet close to the rim as possible.

jechilt said:
impakt,
thanks for the response. The pics I saw of the unit on the rear is pretty nice. you think it is worth putting on the rear wheel instead of the front?
i set it up on the front fork...working as designed.

The only reference limiting it to the front wheel is if you have the power unit installed (the directions say to then mount it only on the front wheel). That being said, I had it mounted on the rear wheel (with power sensor) for a week, and it performed no differently.

The 2.4 Ghz range is amazing; I recently hopped off my bike to take a leak 50' away, and my wife (who was holding my bike) said she could see my heart rate decrease 'during the process'... LOL

warnerjh said:
The 2.4 Ghz range is amazing; I recently hopped off my bike to take a leak 50' away, and my wife (who was holding my bike) said she could see my heart rate decrease 'during the process'... LOL
Great testimonial. I bet your wife got a good chuckle. You got a great chuckle from me :)

Hi,

Can anyone actually confirm that the speed sensor works on the rear?

I have two bikes, one for the road, and one mounted on a Tacx in the
garage.
Now rather than using the Tacx "computer" for training indoors, I'd
rather just use the CS600 with Polar's software for both my bikes.

I emailed both Polar and the place I'm going to buy the unit from
with the same question, and they both told me that it wouldn't work.

Regards,

Eric.

EkkoNL said:
Hi,

Can anyone actually confirm that the speed sensor works on the rear?

I have two bikes, one for the road, and one mounted on a Tacx in the
garage.
Now rather than using the Tacx "computer" for training indoors, I'd
rather just use the CS600 with Polar's software for both my bikes.

I emailed both Polar and the place I'm going to buy the unit from
with the same question, and they both told me that it wouldn't work.

Regards,

Eric.

It worked perfectly for the week or two I had mine mounted back there. I may move it back. Why not just try it? You'll know if it's working by the data.

warnerjh said:
It worked perfectly for the week or two I had mine mounted back there. I may move it back. Why not just try it? You'll know if it's working by the data.
Ahh, that's good news.

The reason I haven't tried it yet, is that I don't own it yet.
I'm going to base my purchase on whether it works on the
rear or not.

Thanks for your reply. :)

Eric.

EkkoNL said:
Ahh, that's good news.

The reason I haven't tried it yet, is that I don't own it yet.
I'm going to base my purchase on whether it works on the
rear or not.

Thanks for your reply. :)

Eric.
It will definitely work on the rear. I have had it mounted also on the rear, honestly I think it would read on your receiver from the rear wheel of another bicycle 2 packs behind you.

Im not sure why Polar helpdesk would tell you it wouldnt work, Did you ask specifically for the CS600? Because the other CS models will DEF not work on a rear wheel.

jechilt said:
you think it is worth putting on the rear wheel instead of the front?
If you are riding on a trainer then it is worth it. If not it really doesn't matter. on mine I have both the cadence and speed mounted side by side on the rear wheel. I have the power sensor also but thats on a different bike.The speed on that bike is on the rear as well. In the manual Polar does suggest mounting the speed on the front if you are using power but it honestly makes no difference. They are on a completely different signal.

impakt said:
It will definitely work on the rear. I have had it mounted also on the rear, honestly I think it would read on your receiver from the rear wheel of another bicycle 2 packs behind you.

Im not sure why Polar helpdesk would tell you it wouldnt work, Did you ask specifically for the CS600? Because the other CS models will DEF not work on a rear wheel.
Great to hear, I'll order the CS600 today then.

As for the Polar helpdesk's response, I'm guessing the unit
wasn't specifically made, nor tested with the sensor on the
rear, altho the helpdesk guy _did_ say the sensor would be
out of range mounted on the rear.

Or they _are_ aware that it works, but can't guarantee it.

Or maybe they are developing a CS650 specifically for the
Tacx/other trainers lol

Or maybe the helpdesk guy just doesn't have a clue.

Oh, and yes, I did tell them it was about the CS600.

Cheers,

Eric.