Polar Has Poor Customer Service (kinda long)

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Ken Hall

I'm not an runner or an athlete, but my frustration compels me to explain my experiences with Polar,
the heart rate monitor people.

About five years ago I bought one of their wrist monitors. It would not work if the monitor was
more than about 1 foot away from the transmitter. They agreed this wasn't right and kept having me
send it in for repair. I sent both units back three times. The first two times they returned the
same parts I sent (I had marked them so I'd know). Each time they said they'd checked it and make
any needed repairs. As I recall the turn around was about two weeks. Finally I asked to speak to a
manager and this guy acted very interested and concerned about my experience getting it fixed. He
said to send it directly to him and he would make sure I got a brand new one and other gifts for
my trouble.

When it hadn't come back in a week I started calling him. He was never in, and didn't return my
calls. After about a month I finally got him and he said he'd take care of it that day. About 2
weeks later I got my original units back -- still not working. I guess they were the "gifts" because
there weren't any others. I threw it away.

Thinking things might have improved in the last 5 years I bought another one a couple of weeks ago.
The first thing I realized was the chest strap wasn't long enough. I don't have a particularly large
chest. I'm 6'1" and weigh 175. I remembered I'd to order a long one for the first watch. I had kept
it and I managed to find it, but they'd made a design change, so I had to order another at about $10
and wait for it to arrive. Note: This makes their gadget cost $10 more than you expected it to cost.

Now that I have the strap I find a problem with initial linkup between the monitor and the
transmitter. It takes about 5 minutes of fussing with it to get a linkup. (Yes, I wet it
thoroughly.) Also, for the first few minutes after linkup it drops out occasionally. After that it
seems to stay on and has a good transmit distance. I called today to ask about the problems. They
have a long phone que. After about 10 minutes they dropped me off the line. Later I called again and
this time, after a 30 minute wait, someone came on the line who insisted on finding reasons why
nothing was wrong with my unit -- reasons that didn't make sense. She said I needed to use K-Y jelly
to make it work. The first unit I had didn't require K-Y jelly to make contact/get the right heart
rate, and their booklet doesn't say anything about K-Y jelly.

At this point I gave up.

End of report.

Ken

Oh, yes, one more thing. When I called to ask about the too-short strap, and the fact that I was now
going to have to wait a week to use their brand new gadget I'd just bought, their guy had an
indifferent "Who gives a s**t," attitude.

"Ken Hall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Polar bashing snipped

I have to say my experience with Polar has been completely opposite. When the stop button broke on
my S410 (ok, you could argue it shouldn't have broken) I had excellent customer service from them.
They said they'd even repair it without the receipt as I couldn't find it. I sent it off to then and
received the watch back within 3 days fully repaired and it has been fine since.

Never had any problems with the strap or transmission.

--
Brian Wakem

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
> I'm not an runner or an athlete, but my frustration compels me to explain my experiences with
> Polar, the heart rate monitor people.

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've had. I got a Polar late last year. I don't remember the
exact model, but it was the bottom of the line, which has just HR, avg. HR and time. I have had no
problems getting it to work. If I lick the transmitter before putting it on, or wait until I'm
sweating to put it on, it works first time, every time. I haven't tried plain water, but pure water
isn't a very good conductor of electricity, so that might make a difference. I'm 6' even, 185lbs,
and the chest strap is just long enough for me; I only have about an inch left on the adjustment.

--
David Kerber An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good Lord,
it's morning".

Remove the ns_ from the address before e-mailing.

> I'm not an runner or an athlete, but my frustration compels me to explain my experiences with

You may not be a runner or athlete, but you most certainly qualify as a whining lunatic. Of all the
companies I've had dealings with during my 27 years running, Polar are the ONLY one that has
provided consistently sound products that WORK, backed by a cast iron warranty and first rate
service facilities. Frankly, I don't believe a word of your post. Go away and smear someone who
fails to provide good products / service. The sports industry is full of such companies, but Polar
ain't one of them.

Usual disclaimers.

Zero.

>
>
(SNIP)

Sorry to hear that. I recently returned my M52 to Polar for a battery replacement. It was way out of
warranty--by three years. When it was returned to me, not only had Polar replaced the battery, but
they replaced my transmitter for no charge. I was only charged for the battery replacement. I highly
recommend Polar, and I will never buy any other brand of HRM.

"Ken Hall" <[email protected]> wrote in message @4ax.com...
>
> I'm not an runner or an athlete,

Ok Ken, so you can assume you're posting from the rec.sport.triathlon group? I that case you are
really not a cyclist either.

As others have said, Polar support has been excellent for me as well. I've used Polar units for 5 or
6 years now. If you're having connectivity and erratic reading problems, from my experience, it is
likely a matter of making good contact between the strap and your skin.

First off, unless you do have an extremely large chest, you're probably wearing the strap too loose.
I'm 6', 210 lbs and wear the standard issue strap. I've found it must be snug, possibly even
slightly uncomfortably snug. Originally I was having problems getting my new S410 reading properly
until I tightened the strap. I find the second generation contoured straps need to be tighter than
the first generation straps.

Secondly, there needs to be some moisture to allow conductivity of the strap. I usually wet my strap
with water when I put it on. As mentioned elsewhere, water doesn't tend to have great conductivity
properties, and when it's overly cold, and it takes a bit to work up a sweat, I may have some
reading problems. Once I start sweating, connectivity issues are not a problem. Saliva works better
than water, and the suggestion of KY or I've even heard users suggest the lube they use for
ultrasound machines, would work better still.

Lastly, if you have an especially hairy chest, that may well again interfere with the strap's
contact with your skin, although I wouldn't suggest shaving a strip for your HRM strap! That might
look funny! ;-)

Regards, Perdy.

>
>
> About five years ago I bought one of their wrist monitors. It would not work if the monitor was
> more than about 1 foot away from the transmitter. They agreed this wasn't right and kept having me
> send it in for repair. I sent both units back three times. The first two times they returned the
> same parts I sent (I had marked them so I'd know). Each time they said they'd checked it and make
> any needed repairs. As I recall the turn around was about two weeks. Finally I asked to speak to a
> manager and this guy acted very interested and concerned about my experience getting it fixed. He
> said to send it directly to him and he would make sure I got a brand new one and other gifts for
> my trouble.
>
> When it hadn't come back in a week I started calling him. He was never in, and didn't return my
> calls. After about a month I finally got him and he said he'd take care of it that day. About 2
> weeks later I got my original units back -- still not working. I guess they were the "gifts"
> because there weren't any others. I threw it away.
>
> Thinking things might have improved in the last 5 years I bought another one a couple of weeks
> ago. The first thing I realized was the chest strap wasn't long enough. I don't have a
> particularly large chest. I'm 6'1" and weigh 175. I remembered I'd to order a long one for the
> first watch. I had kept it and I managed to find it, but they'd made a design change, so I had to
> order another at about $10 and wait for it to arrive. Note: This makes their gadget cost $10 more
> than you expected it to cost.
>
> Now that I have the strap I find a problem with initial linkup between the monitor and the
> transmitter. It takes about 5 minutes of fussing with it to get a linkup. (Yes, I wet it
> thoroughly.) Also, for the first few minutes after linkup it drops out occasionally. After that it
> seems to stay on and has a good transmit distance. I called today to ask about the problems. They
> have a long phone que. After about 10 minutes they dropped me off the line. Later I called again
> and this time, after a 30 minute wait, someone came on the line who insisted on finding reasons
> why nothing was wrong with my unit -- reasons that didn't make sense. She said I needed to use K-Y
> jelly to make it work. The first unit I had didn't require K-Y jelly to make contact/get the right
> heart rate, and their booklet doesn't say anything about K-Y jelly.
>
> At this point I gave up.
>
> End of report.
>
> Ken

i have hahd 3 A1 and allworked well / no problems / sorry to hear about your polar / if you are not
a troll plodzilla

Ken Hall wrote:
>
>
> About five years ago I bought one of their wrist monitors. It would not work if the monitor was
> more than about 1 foot away from the transmitter. They agreed this wasn't right and kept having me
> send it in for repair. I sent both units back three times. The first two times they returned the
> same parts I sent (I had marked them so I'd know). Each time they said they'd checked it and make
> any needed repairs. As I recall the turn around was about two weeks. Finally I asked to speak to a
> manager and this guy acted very interested and concerned about my experience getting it fixed. He
> said to send it directly to him and he would make sure I got a brand new one and other gifts for
> my trouble.
>
> When it hadn't come back in a week I started calling him. He was never in, and didn't return my
> calls. After about a month I finally got him and he said he'd take care of it that day. About 2
> weeks later I got my original units back -- still not working. I guess they were the "gifts"
>
> Thinking things might have improved in the last 5 years I bought another one a couple of weeks
> ago. The first thing I realized was the chest strap wasn't long enough. I don't have a
> particularly large chest. I'm 6'1" and weigh 175. I remembered I'd to order a long one for the
> first watch. I had kept it and I managed to find it, but they'd made a design change, so I had to
> order another at about $10 and wait for it to arrive. Note: This makes their gadget cost $10 more
>
> Now that I have the strap I find a problem with initial linkup between the monitor and the
> transmitter. It takes about 5 minutes of fussing with it to get a linkup. (Yes, I wet it
> thoroughly.) Also, for the first few minutes after linkup it drops out occasionally. After that it
> seems to stay on and has a good transmit distance. I called today to ask about the problems. They
> have a long phone que. After about 10 minutes they dropped me off the line. Later I called again
> and this time, after a 30 minute wait, someone came on the line who insisted on finding reasons
> why nothing was wrong with my unit -- reasons that didn't make sense. She said I needed to use K-Y
> jelly to make it work. The first unit I had didn't require K-Y jelly to make contact/get the right
>
>
> End of report.
>
> Ken

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 23:58:18 GMT, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> from Shaw Residential
Internet wrote:

>
>"Ken Hall" <[email protected]> wrote in message @4ax.com...
>>
>> I'm not an runner or an athlete,
>
>Ok Ken, so you can assume you're posting from the rec.sport.triathlon group? I that case you are
>really not a cyclist either.

Rowwwr! Pfft! Pftt!
--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace I'm pretending that we're all watching PHIL
SILVERS instead of RICARDO MONTALBAN!
3:42:28 AM 17 June 2003

Ken Hall wrote:

Maybe Polar discriminates against non-athletes?

Much more importantly, tho, is whether or not your fitness level and health *plummeted*
while being denied your real-time HR--and the very important info that indeed your heart is
still beating!

But then again, mebbe yer fitness level went UP! Reminds me of when a given locale has a
doctor's strike. Invariably, when the next quarter's stats come out, the mortality rate is
found to have DROPPED significantly!

Fear not, tho: with a little practice and training, you too can count yer pulse for 10
seconds and multiply by 6... OR, count yer pulse for 6 seconds and multiply by 10. OOORRR, 12
seconds, times 5!!! OR, for the show-offs, 11 seconds times 5.454545.

What I learnt was: the faster I run, the faster my heart beats!! Damn!! And to my knowledge,
my heart has never exploded, AND, AFAIK, I continue to burn calories in direct proportion to
my running speed--even without my HRM! Funny thing--I don't know, mebbe I'm clairbuoyant or
sumpn, but if I run too fast w/o my HRM, which presumably means my poor heart is beating too
fast, I have to slow down--which presumably means my heart rate slows--but maybe I should
double check this...

What Polar doesn't tell people is that the target heart rate deal is in general a myth for
the general exercising pubic(tm), of no consequence whatsoever. It is related to the
aerobic-training effect, but has no bearing on calorie burning, fat burning, or anything
else. For a given exercise, the faster your heart beats, the more calories you burn. Most
people will readily achieve the so-called target HR, and most will not be able to exceed it
for prolonged periods anyway--HRM or no. For competitive athletes, HR does provide an
informational edge, which can reflect itself in the .001 second edge nec. to finish first,
and make it to the Wheaties box, vs. placing 2nd, and dying in abject athletic anonymity.
Ergo, HRMs are crucial for professionals. Which is always a marketing banana for yer local
entreepreeneers.

Except for local folk heroes, like Nelson, the NYC bicycle messenger who got Olympic
Silver--which bespeaks the true training superiority of dodging yellow cabs vs. an HRM. But,
he might still be messengering. Which is rough now in NYC, cuz Bloomberg is ticketing
EVERYgoddammBody, including cyclists who don't signal.

----------------------
Kristofer Hogg, ms, rd HoloBarre Rehab/Fitness/Stretching Systems, Yonkers, NY to email: Remove the
numeric value of pi in my address
-------------------------------------------------------------------

>
>
> my trouble.
>
>
>
>
>
> End of report.
>
> Ken

--

the faster your heart beats, the more calories you
> burn.

Yes. But the different energy levels burn different kinds of energies (fat, glycogen, ATP).

Tristan

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 11:24:43 -0400, "Shrill Pill [fmrly droll troll]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> But then again, mebbe yer fitness level went UP! Reminds me of when a given locale has a
> doctor's strike. Invariably, when the next quarter's stats come out, the mortality rate is
> found to have DROPPED significantly!

Yeah. People went elsewhere to die, like, say, working hospitals.

Jasper

"Jasper Janssen" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > But then again, mebbe yer fitness level went UP! Reminds me of when a given locale has a
> > doctor's strike. Invariably, when the next quarter's stats come out, the mortality rate is
> > found to have DROPPED significantly!

> Yeah. People went elsewhere to die, like, say, working hospitals.

Yunno, some very clever people failed to appreciate that simple point.

Zero.

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:09:32 +0100, "I'm just a zero" <[email protected]> wrote:
>"Jasper Janssen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...

>> Yeah. People went elsewhere to die, like, say, working hospitals.
>
>Yunno, some very clever people failed to appreciate that simple point.

I would like to say I am amazed at the stupidity of some people, but really, who am I kidding. I've
been on the net for 10 years, no amount of stupidity can truly amaze me any more.

Jasper

Jasper Janssen wrote:
>
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:09:32 +0100, "I'm just a zero" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >"Jasper Janssen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
>
> >> Yeah. People went elsewhere to die, like, say, working hospitals.
> >
> >Yunno, some very clever people failed to appreciate that simple point.

Assuming you clairvoyants have *verified* that point.

But I never said the stats were valid. More like morbidly amusing. But you geniuses seem to
know ipso facto what lies behind the stats. I, OTOH, only have intimate second hand
knowledge from one highly regarded hospital in my area, where people die on a fairly
regular basis from doctor and laboratory errors. **Always** covered up. Actually, I have
*first-hand* knowledge--a family friend was nearly one of the statistics--lost 50% of her
blood volume due to a botched previous procedure. Drove herself to the hospital, where they
did not stop haranguing her for her insurance card until she collapsed in her own pool of
blood. But you smug nitwits know better, because you know the story behind the
statistics....
>
> I would like to say I am amazed at the stupidity of some people, but really, who am I kidding.
> I've been on the net for 10 years, no amount of stupidity can truly amaze me any more.
>
> Jasper

Yeah, I know, I know, it must be painful for you. Maybe join Mensa, or sumpn; escape the
rabble, ease the pain. Or consider Hogg's Inequality:

Idiocy #1: Buying HRMs. Idiocy #2: Swearing they improve fitness. Idiocy #3: Adamantly
rejecting anything contrary to Idiocy #2. Ergo Idiocy #1 is justified.

Idiocy #3 >>>>>>> Idiocy #2 >>>>>>> Idiocy #1.

QED.
----------------------
Kristofer Hogg, ms, rd HoloBarre Rehab/Fitness/Stretching Systems, Yonkers, NY to email: Remove the

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 03:16:54 -0400, "Shrill Pill [fmrly droll troll]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Jasper Janssen wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:09:32 +0100, "I'm just a zero" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >"Jasper Janssen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> >news:[email protected]...
>>
>> >> Yeah. People went elsewhere to die, like, say, working hospitals.
>> >
>> >Yunno, some very clever people failed to appreciate that simple point.
>
> Assuming you clairvoyants have *verified* that point.
>
> But I never said the stats were valid. More like morbidly amusing. But you geniuses seem
> to know ipso facto what lies behind the stats.

Unless you give more facts, I will assume this to be the typical urban legend. I'm willing to check
out the facts, but you need to provide more details of time and place.

> I, OTOH, only have intimate second hand knowledge from one highly regarded hospital in my
> area, where people die on a fairly regular basis from doctor and laboratory errors.
> **Always** covered up.

Completely unrelated.

> Actually, I have *first-hand* knowledge--a family friend was nearly one of the
> statistics--lost 50% of her blood volume due to a botched previous procedure. Drove
> herself to the hospital, where they did not stop haranguing her for her insurance card
> until she collapsed in her own pool of blood.

And if the doctors had been on strike, she.. what.. would have survived more easily the loss of 50%
of her blood? Or she would have had the previous procedure done in another hospital, which was kind
of my point?

> But you smug nitwits know better, because you know the story behind the statistics....

You're the one calling yourself a troll. Am I still supposed to take you seriously?
>
>> I would like to say I am amazed at the stupidity of some people, but really, who am I kidding.
>> I've been on the net for 10 years, no amount of stupidity can truly amaze me any more.
>>
>> Jasper
>
> Yeah, I know, I know, it must be painful for you. Maybe join Mensa, or sumpn; escape the
> rabble, ease the pain.

Mensa is full of idiots. IQ doesn't measure anything meaningful, and the fact that mensa relies on
it so heavily just says everything about their idiotness or not.

> Idiocy #1: Buying HRMs. Idiocy #2: Swearing they improve fitness. Idiocy #3: Adamantly
> rejecting anything contrary to Idiocy #2. Ergo Idiocy #1 is justified.

a) I don't own an HRM b) I would like to have one of the cool toys like the HAC4, but I certainly
wouldn't claim it all by itself increased my fitness. At best an HRM can help you train somewhat
more effectively. More information is never bad.

Jasper

Jasper Janssen wrote:
>
> On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 03:16:54 -0400, "Shrill Pill [fmrly droll troll]"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Jasper Janssen wrote:
> >> On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:09:32 +0100, "I'm just a zero" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> >"Jasper Janssen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> >news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> >> Yeah. People went elsewhere to die, like, say, working hospitals.
> >> >
> >> >Yunno, some very clever people failed to appreciate that simple point.
> >
> > Assuming you clairvoyants have *verified* that point.
> >
> > But I never said the stats were valid. More like morbidly amusing. But you geniuses seem
> > to know ipso facto what lies behind the stats.
>
> Unless you give more facts, I will assume this to be the typical urban legend. I'm willing to
> check out the facts, but you need to provide more details of time and place.
>
> > I, OTOH, only have intimate second hand knowledge from one highly regarded hospital in
> > my area, where people die on a fairly regular basis from doctor and laboratory errors.
> > **Always** covered up.
>
> Completely unrelated.
>
> > Actually, I have *first-hand* knowledge--a family friend was nearly one of the
> > statistics--lost 50% of her blood volume due to a botched previous procedure. Drove
> > herself to the hospital, where they did not stop haranguing her for her insurance card
> > until she collapsed in her own pool of blood.
>
> And if the doctors had been on strike, she.. what.. would have survived more easily the loss of
> 50% of her blood? Or she would have had the previous procedure done in another hospital, which was
> kind of my point?
>
> > But you smug nitwits know better, because you know the story behind the statistics....
>
> You're the one calling yourself a troll. Am I still supposed to take you seriously?
> >
> >> I would like to say I am amazed at the stupidity of some people, but really, who am I kidding.
> >> I've been on the net for 10 years, no amount of stupidity can truly amaze me any more.
> >>
> >> Jasper
> >
> > Yeah, I know, I know, it must be painful for you. Maybe join Mensa, or sumpn; escape the
> > rabble, ease the pain.
>
> Mensa is full of idiots. IQ doesn't measure anything meaningful, and the fact that mensa relies on
> it so heavily just says everything about their idiotness or not.
>
> > Idiocy #1: Buying HRMs. Idiocy #2: Swearing they improve fitness. Idiocy #3: Adamantly
> > rejecting anything contrary to Idiocy #2. Ergo Idiocy #1 is justified.
>
> a) I don't own an HRM b) I would like to have one of the cool toys like the HAC4, but I certainly
> wouldn't claim it all by itself increased my fitness.

> At best an HRM can help you train somewhat more effectively.

Only at competitive levels.

More
> information is never bad.

Only for people who can't distinguish the nitty-gritty from minutiae and silliness.

The doctor thing--yeah, my friend wound up an even bet--nearly killed by the first doc,
barely saved by the second dozen. But the incidents I know about were not emergency room
procedures--these docs are the real deal--I'm talking about routine surgeries/procedures
unnecessarily screwed up. The stat I cited is indeed a Gary Null type "urban legend", if you
will, Gary Null himself being quite an interesting character. But the inside skinny, which
neither you nor Geraldo could likely sleuth out, is very inside, and supports the stat
qualitatively, if not quantitatively. You'll have to take my word for the skinny. Suffice it
to say, my wife (who works in the, uh, bowels of a """""good""""" hospital, has insisted on
an additional marriage vow: If either of us winds up in the hospital, she wants us
handcuffed together, so one can maintain a 24-hour vigil. She has a list of staff MDs which
pretty much serves as a medical restraining order.

You got a great voice of reason. But can you follow your own non sequiturs? You really
should try Mensa--or my own hi-IQ group, Menses, for hi-IQ'd people who complain a lot,
what with migraines, cramps... & general PITA-edness. You'd fit right in, I think. Mensa's
IQ req. is a paltry 130; Menses reqs. about 150, but you get points for creative
complaining. Give it a shot... You snipe at Droll Troll? Possibly the best handle in all of
the internet???? Shrill Pill is pretty good, but Droll Troll can't be beat--Ahma return to
it, but after trying Screachy Preachy for a while--I'm searching for identity, donchaknow.
----------------------

Jasper Janssen wrote:

**snip**

> really, who am I kidding. I've been on the net for 10 years, no amount of stupidity can truly
> amaze me any more.

If you have been on the net for 10 years, when did you last enter a triathalon? 11 years ago? Aren't
your eyes sore?

In rec.bicycles.misc archer <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote:
: line, which has just HR, avg. HR and time. I have had no problems getting it to work. If I lick
: the transmitter before putting it on, or wait until I'm sweating to put it on, it works first
: time, every time. I haven't tried plain water, but pure water isn't a very good conductor of
: electricity, so that might make a difference. I'm 6' even, 185lbs, and

You don't get pure water out of the tap, there is always some minerals and stuff in it. I wet my
fingers from the tap and use them to make the contact patches moist. Seems to work every time. I use
the HRM regularly, the first few times this season I had trouble getting it work, probably because I
placed it badly.

PS. Put an end to this reckless crossposting ;p

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html varis at no spam please iki fi

Status
Not open for further replies.